Why become a member? ×

Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive

ColinB

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I got a Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive to replace my 20year-old DIY tube-screamer which died on me. What a superb pedal with both bass and guitar! Just a touch of 'hair' for a bass and it brings the sound to life. Fantastic overdrive on guitar too. I've got a DIY EHX LPB-1 linear boost before it and it's very responsive to that. You can't source the parts and build your own for the price of the Joyo - crazy![/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I can't describe it better than the blurb on the box;[/font][/color]

[b][color=#141414]The overdrive effect is mellow, mild, smooth and exquisite, And the sustain is quite good.[/color][/b]

Edited by ColinB

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1421835668' post='2665443']
Are you using it with a blend on bass? I found it fantastic for guitar, but I needed that extra bit of low end for bass.
[/quote]

Nope, but I run a Boss GEB-7 eq as the last pedal and I push the 120Hz a touch. I'm tempted by a DIY blend kit.... so I may get one down the line. I'm right in the middle of selling the house at the moment so a lot of 'stuff' is on hold for a while. An estate agent's coming round in ¾hour for a second valuation!

Edited by ColinB

The Vintage Overdrive is very good imo - prob my favourite Joyo pedal atm - as are some of their larger 'AMp Model' pedals - 'British Sound' etc.
There are some reports of switch problems and I have a pedal - 'AC Tone' I think - which arrived not working from ebay so hoping that it's a switch problem that I can sort without too much problem.
But sonically have to say the Joyo pedals are good and the metal pedal housings seem sturdy. Not sure about the pots and jacks as not enough time/use to judge but they look/feel good to me.

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1421838339' post='2665484']
Good point, the fact that I didn't even think to mention the quality of such cheap pedals says a lot about how good they are! I had the JF-01 and Ultimate Drive, and both were excellent bits of kit. I moved them on in a very rare attempt to cut down on pedals, and then only as someone on here mentioned that they were after them just as I was trying to consider what to move on! I still have the Sweet Baby overdrive too, which sounds great on guitar, but also needs a blend for bass.

Top quality gear for the price.
[/quote]
Indeed they are! I bought the pedals off of Andy (Jus Lukin) and have been very impressed with them. I tend to run a grab-it-and-go set up for church band - TU-2 Tuner > JOYO Ultimate Drive > Sansamp Para Driver DI > Desk. This setup fits in very nicely

The Vintage Drive goes infront of a Bass Big Muff Pi when I want more grit i.e JOYO VOd > BBM Pi > Boss CEB-3 Chorus > Amp

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1422022093' post='2667860']
Glad they're working out well!
[/quote]
Yep, the Ultimate Drive is my favourite so far. It has just enough control in front of the SansAmp to give a good kick. There are some mods that can be done on the UD to make them more bass-friendly so I will need to look into that.

The Vintage suits the BBM Pi better (whenever I need a smidge more 'hair')

Cheers

I'd recommend the Hardwire CM-2 over the Joyo Vintage Overdrive if you want a cheap bass-friendly tubescreamer - it has a lo/hi EQ and I've heard plenty of glowing reviews for it, whereas reviews for the Joyo drive pedals are very mixed. I thought the Ultimate Drive and American Sound were pretty poor.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1422536861' post='2673791']
Plenty of people rave about them though too, so don't just be put off by my opinion! :)

Not everyone likes the same pedals, there are plenty that get glowing reviews that I think sound like crap!
[/quote]

Yeah, quite subjective in the end.

I thought the Ultimate Drive was pretty cool. There are better pedals out there, but not at £30.