Why become a member? ×

How to deal with a sticky gloss neck?

SingleMalt

Evening all.

So I'm getting on really well with my Precision bass apart from one thing.... The neck is coated in the thickest gloss, and when I've been playing for a few hours and am sweating it becomes verrrrry sticky and unpleasant.

In the past I had a super cheap SG copy that had the same problem so I sanded the finish off entirely and gave it a few coats of (Danish?) oil. That was fine for a few months but became rather discoloured and it eventually warped so I'd like to avoid going to bare wood.

What do you think about going at it with some fine steel wool or something like a scotch-brite pad with the aim of getting something that feels like a satin finish and doesn't look terrible?

Yeah I hear you dood. It's definitely me being a fussy bugger.

All of my guitars apart from this one have unfinished or satin necks so I'm not used to gloss. I feel sticking on the side of my thumb.

It's not a matter of speed, like you hear tonnes of guitars who say unfinished necks are faster. I just don't like the feel of a gloss neck when I'm sweating on it. I always wash my hands before I play but it doesn't really help.

Edited by SingleMalt

SG, the glossy neck is giving you a problem because there's too much smooooth surface in contact with your skin, giving you loads of friction.

The solution is easy - reduce the amount of contact surface: what you do is get some really fine sandpaper or wire-wool and rough up the surface. You should use something like 1000 grit for this. Then when the job is done, get some bees-wax and polish it again to "appear" like it's smooth and shiny like it was.

I find the same with glossy necks, my daughter squire jazz is great but it does slow me down and feels strange to me. You could try some wet and dry on it to make it satin. My daughter wont let me do this on hers which is a shame, however she has no issue with the finish unlike me, I think its my clammy hands.

[quote name='big rob' timestamp='1421748967' post='2664457']
I find the same with glossy necks, my daughter squire jazz is great but it does slow me down and feels strange to me. You could try some wet and dry on it to make it satin. My daughter wont let me do this on hers which is a shame, however she has no issue with the finish unlike me, I think its my clammy hands.
[/quote]
If you use a (seriously)fine grain paper and polish up with beeswax, the look will be pretty much the same - nice and shiny.

Mind you, don't use what Homebase and the like call "fine". That's not fine enough. You may need to get some from a more dedicated tool store.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1421693755' post='2664067']
SG, the glossy neck is giving you a problem because there's too much smooooth surface in contact with your skin, giving you loads of friction.

The solution is easy - reduce the amount of contact surface: what you do is get some really fine sandpaper or wire-wool and rough up the surface. You should use something like 1000 grit for this. Then when the job is done, get some bees-wax and polish it again to "appear" like it's smooth and shiny like it was.
[/quote]

Interesting. I'd say this is worth a try.
Use a really really fine paper though - as others have said, NOT what B&Q call "fine"
Something even finer....

Let us know what you decide, and how you get on
I've got one bass I may well try this on....
It's not a huge problem for me, as I tend not to use that one for long periods at gigs, as it's a backup bass....

EDIT: Or would something like Jeweler's Rouge work?
That's a very very fine abrasive polish....

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1421688952' post='2663987']
If I am honest with you, I really can't see why there's such a problem with glossy necks? Can you describe on what part of your hand you are you are finding it sticky?
[/quote]

I've never had a problem either, hence my comment about wiping your hands. The neck is naturally slippy with the lacquer, so it's your hands that are causing friction.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1421763518' post='2664654']
Jeweler's Rouge ; worth a try. What's the worst that can happen?
[/quote]

I do actually have some but I think it might be a bit too fine. It's bloody messy as well. Gets every where.

I have sandpaper up to 6000 grit so I might just have a go with that.

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1421763464' post='2664652']
I've never had a problem either, hence my comment about wiping your hands. The neck is naturally slippy with the lacquer, so it's your hands that are causing friction.
[/quote]

Yeah, I guess I didn't want to come in suggesting that the player is at fault, but I do teach all my students left hand grip that minimises contact with the surfaces of the neck that helps to speed up transitions between notes. I've undone what I call 'golf club grip' many times.

If it's any help, I do suffer from sticky paws too and I seem to kill sets of strings very quickly - but on the same token, I am really gassing for a nice glossy necked P bass right now!!!

Anyway, Single Malt, I just wanted to ask if maybe a position change on your left hand would help matters at all? Rather than selling a pride and joy?

I had terrible problems with an otherwise lovely Gibson LP Studio...a common problem apparently. In this case, nothing to do with golf-club grip, sweat or anything else associated with the player - the gloss neck was simply draggy in the same way as a glass that comes out of the dishwasher...'squeaky clean'.

I wire-wool'd it which helped for a while, but it generally came back. In the end, devastated, flogged it. Never had the problem before or since. An internet search reveals some Gibson necks take '10 years or more to fully harden'. Maybe normal internet hyperbole but certainly mine was still not fully hard after 2...

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1421775301' post='2664879']
I'd go with wire wool rather than sandpaper, just takes the shine off with no danger of sanding through
[/quote]

It sucks, however, when you get bits of wirewool stuck to your pickups... they just won't come off... so watch out!

I'm sad, 'though, about this thread... I've seen so many formerly glossy necks butchered, sanded through to the wood... :(

There more I read threads like this I can't help feeling that the problem is partly the wrong type of gloss finish used on cheaper instruments and partly psychological when it comes to the player. All my main basses have high gloss necks and none of them feel even remotely sticky to me, and I have been known to get very sweaty on stage. Admittedly they are also considerably more expensive than the general basses being discussed (the cheapest had a new retail price of just under £2k) but until I started reading these kinds of threads I was never even aware that the problem might exist.

Single Malt's right. Paradoxically, a shiny surface will stick more to your hands when they're damp/wet. That's why sharks have slightly rough skin - to aid hydrodynamic efficiency (and why shark skin used to be used as sandpaper). Rub down the neck with fine - around 0000 - wire wool, but cover your pickups thoroughly with masking tape so they don't get covered in tiny steel fragments.

I have problems with all glossed necks, but absolutely no problem at all with untreated necks like you get on Warwicks, and the Ibanez SR range for instance.

It's probably an individual thing, our bodies all react differently to different things I guess. :unsure:

I've sanded every gloss neck'd Bass I've ever had. Personally speaking, I don't think there's anything psychological about it, the high gloss surface makes for a lot of traction.
I use a fine grit Free-Cut type of paper, Wire Wool is too messy. 0000 grade wire wool or 1200 wet n dry is too fine imo and you end up back at square one before you know it. 1000 wet n dry used dry is about right and you don't need to go mad, takes about 5 minutes to get a nice slick neck. Put a line of tape at the heel and headstock to give you a nice detailed straight looking edge.
B)