Why become a member? ×

Small Bass Amps

dirtystatic

Hey guys, I'm not in a position to try a whole bunch of amps so I'm asked for some help in narrowing down my selection.

I'll give you a little background first so you can understand what it is in after.

I play in an Irish folk band, the line up is 2x vocals, guitar (electro acoustic), fiddle, mandolin, whistle and bodhran. It's not typical trad stuff, we like to thrash things out and have a bit of a party.

Most gigs we run our own PA and I have a decent backline which I run my Fender P through, but last year we did a tour for the armed forces playing everywhere from Greenland to the Bahamas, we had an awesome sound guy and a decent setup at the bases so we were more than happy. I decided to take my electro acoustic as we played some impromptu acoustic sets on our off days in Miami and in the mess halls, unfortunately it didn't hold up,it was fine through the PA but it could compete during the acoustic sets.

Basically, I'm after an amp to take that will give me just little bit more volume, but it must be portable. It's gonna have to go in my suitcase. I've been looking at the Roland Cubes and the Vox Pathfinders. I believe Warwick have a single 8inch combo too. I've also considered those cheap Harley Benton amps that Thomann sell. I don't need a huge volume boost and it's only going to get used for two weeks out of the year so I don't want to break the bank.

Does anyone have any experience with any of those models? Am I being too optimistic, will I need to spend more?

It's worth mentioning that when we play acoustic none of the other instruments or voices are amped.

Thanks.

Edited by dirtystatic

Guest Jecklin

Can't comment on those specific amps, but I occupy a similar volume level realm to you (albeit different genre).

I'll be trying a few small amps soon including a Phil Jones double four and a markbass micro mark.

Both these are a bit more expensive than the ones you mention, but they are small - a big factor for what I need.

Edited by Jecklin

Guest Jecklin

Just for context I currently use a crate power block guitar amp and a home made 8inch cab.

Volume wise this is great, but I just need a cleaner sound and the eq is not optimised for bass guitar ( no great surprise) so in some rooms I can't get the sound I'd like.

Hi,
I was after a new small practice amp. My local music shop ( gig-gear harlow) had a good selection and I initially was after something 25-50 watt, however after much fiddling I ended up with a tc electonic BH 250.
Its really small with 2x 8 inch speakers, but chucks out over 200watts!. Yep, didn't really believe it until I tried it, its really loud, great tone with tons of bottom end ( and I usually use a barefaced 2x 12) No idea how they do it but its very, very good. It was £230 and I think worth every penny. The sales guys they love them as they sound great and are flying out the door
Hope this helps

Sean

Guest Jecklin

Nice one Jus Lukin.

Although I love the cachet aspect of Phil Jones etc I think that beringer is much more useful for me.
Have you used one or seen one in the flesh?

Can't argue with 140 odd quid really but will need to try one.

That Behringer looks interesting. If I had the money I'd certainly go for the Markbass or similar, but I just can't justify the amount for something that's going to gather dust 11 months of the year.

The Behringer is 150w verses the 10w-20w bass combos that are a similar price. Is 20w going to hold it's own against acoustic instruments?

My backline is a 750w Gallien-Krueger rig so I've got no way of referencing.

Used my Micromark 801 at rehearsal tonight.

Had to compete with female vox into PA, Guitar and Drums playing blues and soul. Once you get much past 2 oclock on the volume the speaker starts to break up with a P Bass so I ran an XLR out into the PA and had some foldback from the amp and a nice sound into the PA! Sorted. On its own it would struggle but given its size (10"x10x10") it's a breeze taking it along.

Bass Gear very kindly matched the Thomann price for me ( although when Thomann don't have it in stock they drop the price and raise it once its back in stock).

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1421757965' post='2664578']
I have, but only for vocal monitors as part of a pub PA setup. They're certainly small and light, but quite what would they kick out with a bass I can't say. I believe the keys player may have had one for his foldback at times too, but I don't know what his experience was with them.
[/quote]

I had one of the Mackie's this was copied from. It can't hold a bass without speaker farting, it's excelent for vocals and guitar but that's it. If you hook up a bass you either have to turn the volume down or cut a lot of bass but that results in a thin sound. I wouldn't reccomend this for bass use.

Having just sold a PJ Briefcase I can recommend these. You may also want to consider a Gallien Kruger Backline 110 - I think there was one for sale here recently - small, compact and relatively light. You can pick them up for around £100-150.