Why become a member? ×

Midlands Bass Bash 2

Si600

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1431203976' post='2768833']

My memory is so poor, I've already managed to forget the exact brand of strings recommended by Seashell. Were they Status Half-Rounds?
[/quote]

Yes, that's right. Status Hotwire Halfwounds. :-)

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Also looking forward to the next one, especially if there's cake.

Conclusions: AT's deko PJ has made me feel I might actually like a PJ. RR's W&T has made me realise that the headstocks of NT and notlob W&Ts are different, and it's just the NTs that are disasters. Cake is nice. More cake. And biscuits.

Many thanks, especially to those providing cakes. And biscuits.

What a great day! It was brilliant to catch up with old friends again, to make some really nice new acquaintances, and to try out such a wide range of GASworthy gear.

My highlights of the day, in no particular order:

Roland Rock’s amazing Wood&Tronics, and his killer rig and pedalboard - the best fun I’ve had with an expression pedal for a very long time.

Si’s P5 - as addictive as the chocolate orange cake; I kept wanting to come back for more of both all afternoon.

72Deluxe doing sweep arpeggios on his FNA Jazzman through TG Flatlands' wicked COG effects board - astonishing skills, and thrillingly aggressive synthy sounds!

Jabba’s newest self-build - truly pro luthier build quality, and that Delano hybrid humbucker at the bridge sounded JUICY.

bassbiscuits’ lovely Jazz - even though it made me realise that I am now utterly clueless on 4 stringers, especially in comparison to its owner, who really made it sing!

LeeMan slapping the s**t out of my MTD and his Sadowsky. KILLER slap technique, sir - much envy of your machine gun triplets!

Getting some top tips on the South Brum live scene from Seashell - and a nifty raga scale on the P, too!

Len_derby's fabulous looking and sounding Yammy semi-acoustic - playing which has given me a horrendous case of piezo GAS!

Talking Melt-Banana with Bradwell.

Huge thanks to Si and Roland for getting it all together again and making everything run so smoothly on the day, and to Jo Sharman, Mrs Cytania and anyone else who contributed to the table of cakey delights.

Edited by GrammeFriday

Morning all!

Thanks again for a great day. It was good to meet friends from last year and make some new ones this. Also, thanks to those of you who were either brave or foolhardy enough to l,et me loose with your gear.

Thanks also from Mrs S for all of your kind comments regarding her baking. We are now working our way through a dining table part covered in cake!

Hope to see you all again at some point.

C.

Hi everyone

I just wanted to say thanks again for the meetup, it was great fun as usual. The cakes and biscuits were really delicious but I had to refrain from gorging myself on them. Lovely orangey chocolate cake.

It was great to try out such a wide range of lovely gear, and also to see the performance of some tiny cabs. It makes me think I should sell mine and get something smaller but that will involve saving up. The GK amp and cab seems plenty powerful enough for all the stuff I play; very informative, thanks!

Thanks GrammeFriday for letting me play your MTD again and that lovely aguilar rig. Great playing as usual. Hope your back copes with those incredibly lightweight cabs!
It was great to see the gear made by Jez/Jabba (those fret markers are clever), and the quality of your builds; you should sell those basses or give away free endorsements. I politely volunteer.
And also Tom's COG effects - that suboctaver combined with fuzz/distortion was lots of fun, sorry for the noise I put through them. Really great.

Whose Eden rig was that? I didn't get your name. Very kind to let us abuse it, lovely rig.

Great to see faces from last year and try out that range of Warwicks, Norris' Rickenbacker (sorry I said that word on this forum)

I didn't get to say hello to the two mega slappers (should I rephrase that???) - LeeMan? And the other machine-gun-triplet in an orange hoody? Sorry I didn't say hello to you both. I was scared and intimidated by the rate of clicks and pops.

I was impressed how the volume was kept mostly under control and for the bounteous delights on offer for the raffle. I think that Entwistle book should have included a complimentary Buzzard bass....

Thanks again, greatly enjoyed it so thanks for arranging it!

[quote name='TG Flatline' timestamp='1431343992' post='2770142']
Thanks for organising this, it's always nice to meet people in the real world given I mainly speak to people online, and thanks for the kind feedback about my gear :) Really glad I could make it after having to duck out last minute last year!!
[/quote]

Great to meet you Tom, and thanks for coming; I could have played with that board for hours! And sorry for giving you cab GAS 😁

[quote name='GrammeFriday' timestamp='1431248600' post='2769095']
Si’s P5 - as addictive as the chocolate orange cake; I kept wanting to come back for more of both all afternoon.
[/quote]

Get one, you know you want to :)

[quote name='Si600' timestamp='1431458228' post='2771619']

Get one, you know you want to :)
[/quote]

I too was impressed with the P5. Fenders have always been four strings in my mind, and for some reason I've always looked to other brands when looking at fivers. Yours is great though - nice even tone across all strings, and plays nicely

[quote name='72deluxe' timestamp='1431338051' post='2770057']

Whose Eden rig was that? I didn't get your name. Very kind to let us abuse it, lovely rig.

[/quote]

That was mine, great to play through it with the COG effects board. Really want a T-65 octave pedal now (10 days to payday)...

I had an awesome day, the cake was fantastic, lots of lovely basses and amps.

Great to make some new friends, hope to be there for the next bash :D