Why become a member? ×

P Bass Pickup Placement - Help a Student Out Again?

BruceBass3901

Hi guys,

I posted in here before asking for some pickup dimensions for a university project and got great responses so hoping for the same again.

The dimension I am looking for is the distance from the front edge of the nut to the front edge (edge closest to end of fretboard) of the P pickup on a Fender style Precision Bass.

I have trawled through various threads on a few forums and haven't gotten a definitive answer to this as many people seem to measure to the center of the polepieces, which considering that pickup dimensions do differ slightly does not allow me to calculate the position accurately.

If somebody could measure this and let me know the model of bass they have taken the measurement from I would be very, very grateful.

I have read that the dimension changes on instruments which feature a J pickup at the bridge depending on whether the J pickup is in a 60s or 70s position... I have no idea if there is any truth in this but would be interested to hear what you guys have to think.

Thanks in advance!

Hi. I dont have a Fender-style P bass but reading this was curious as to the measurements on my bass which is a Yamaha RBX with a P/J configuration. Interestingly the measurement from the nut to the leading edge of the EA pup is exactly the same as Howie's Squier at 69.8 cm. Make of that what you will. Cheers.

OK - I have a Made in Japan P... From fender no less! (Yes I love it to bits :gas: )...

Now for the measurements:

-Nut inside (edge where fretboard begins*) to Pickup cover: 70 cm to the EA split pickup half cover - the edge nearest the neck.
-Nut inside to center of pickup(s): 72.7cm / 72.8cm
-Nut inside to Pickup cover: 75.5cm to DG split pickup half cover - the edge nearest the bridge.

*To be 100% clear the nut inside is the lower nut edge in the image below:

Hope this is of some use ;)