Why become a member? ×

Zoom B3 and upright

steviedee

Hi Folks I've started using my upright a bit at rehearsals. Currently I use a zoom b3 with various patches and switch between fretless and fretted bass. I'm using a line 6 relay and just plug the transmitter into whatever instrument I'm using. I tried plugging in my upright and it was just terrible, feeding back the whole shebang, awful. Granted I didn't spend any time trying to get a sound, I just ditched the B3 and went thru my little FDeck - HPF pre and all was fine, just a bit of hassle plugging and unplugging cables. Has anyone had any luck with the B3 or am I just wasting my time? I noticed a preset called the AC BS Pre (snappy!) which is meant to be a fishman clone with a high pass filter. The zoom is great with the electric but is the upright a step too far?

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' timestamp='1421788488' post='2665111']
Mine works well with my NS CR-5M electric upright, but I no longer own a 'proper' DB
[/quote]

What settings do you use? I just want a pretty uncoloured sound but without the feedback and scary rumbling!

Have you set any patches up of your own? The factory presets (certainly the case with the Zoom B9 I have) tend to be over the top and are useful only as starting points but with my personal patches I've gone for more subtle colourings. I assume the B3 has a bypass (tuner) mode so that'll be the place to start where you make sure the sound of your upright isn't adversely affected by the B3 running 'clean'. FWIW I use my B9 with an electric fretless and use both detune (as a chorus effect) and reverb. There's no reason why an upright can't sound good running through effects. I've posted this on here before but check it out...

http://youtu.be/0N2UOxkcs8w

Hi Howie I've made a bunch of patches for the electric but none for the upright. I really just want to boost the signal without feedback, basically do what a Platinum Pro does. I've always had a dedicated box on the upright but would like too go thru the B3 for convenience.

[quote name='keeponehandloose' timestamp='1421838543' post='2665486']
The one thing the B3 wont do is the phase inversion. Essential for DB.
[/quote]

Hi can you elaborate a bit? I've had all manner of pres for the upright and they have had phase switches. Could I take the out from my FDeck HPF ( which has a phase switch) into my wireless transmitter and then thru the b3? I'm using a genz Benz streamliner and it only has one input and I'm trying to avoid plugging and unplugging a bunch of cables!

This is essentially my solution to the same kind of thing, the double bass goes into the plat pro EQ, out of there into the A-B switch, electric basses on a second lead straight into the A-B switch, A-B output to the amp input. I have the tuner on the amp tuner out so both inputs show on the tuner, the Behringer preamp is in/out the valve channel FX loop to give my passive Jazz some extra kick.

[url="http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-01/20150103_154656_zpsomkrwn5w.jpg.html"][/url]

FET channel for DB via the Plat pro EQ.
Valve channel including the Behringer for the Jazz bass.
Valve without the Behringer switched on or select the FET channel for Stingrays as that bypasses the Plat pro EQ.

Thinking out loud you could get a split signal lead, receiver to Zoom B3 and F deck, output from each to A and B then to the genz input, AB will act like a stop tap to isolate the signal from one or the other and you can use one wireless transmitter/receiver.

Option two, if the Zoom B3 has a good true bypass once tested at volume in the signal chain go receiver to Zoom to Genz then add the F deck in/out the FX loop on the Genz head, turn it off for electric bass and use your zoom as normal, bypass the zoom and engage the F deck when using double bass.

Not sure if that helps? From experience the eubs wont give any of the issues the real DB will with what you need to do, I'm now running a mag pickup because of the feedback at gig volume!

[url="http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-01/20150121_192420_zpss0vygjij.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by stingrayPete1977

Hi Pete

Thanks for that very detailed response. I currently use a line selector almost as a volume boosts shifting between active and passive basses perhaps I could take an out from that. The most convenient would be to have the fdeck first in the signal chain, just velcroed to the tailpiece then I don't need to mess up my set up. But the signal might get mangled going through all those effects even if they aren't doing anything.

Hi Stevie,
I use a zoom B3 for acoustic bass effects and looping with no major issues apart from balancing the volume levels, as my Schertler preamp has a pretty hot output which i need to tone down a bit. I don't use the B3 as a preamp to set up a sound(s) (the way I do for electric bass) - tried that for giggles but it sounded awful. Bear in mind that it's not designed to work with DB and piezo pickups/mics; many of the effects simply won't track properly. I have 2 custom pads for Arco and Pizz with chorus, reverb and delay. If you're not using it for effects, I'd definitely try to bypass it. Probably not the solution you want to hear; but if i need acoustic and electric bass on a gig I take 2 amps....

Hey Jay thanks for the reply. The plan is to just DI the upright but we haven't quite sorted that yet so I'm Just looking for an interim solution. Back in the day I had an EA doubler which would have been perfect but it's long gone! A bloke I know is putting a volume control in my 1st gen fdeck so that will give me a bit more control. Failing that I might look at a pro plat or take my practice rig to the studio. It's only for a couple of tunes but they don't benefit from feedback madness! Good to hear from you Jay!