Why become a member? ×

5 string on a budget

Funky Dunky

I managed to find a video of the G&L doing a P-style tone. Is it achieved via the front pickup-active mode-series? Not bad. But when you factor in the seemingly endless range of additional tones that can be had on that bass, it'd be hard to look elsewhere. I may have to overstretch my budget to get one, but it may well be worth it. Only problem is getting to try before I buy to test playability. I tried the L2000 a while back and found the neck very cumbersome for my hands, a little too thick and chunky, so I imagine the 5 would be even tougher to play. FWIW, I have played a Sterling Sub Ray5 and thought the neck was great (again, for my hands). I will just have to get my bum down to the shops and try out a few basses!

I have a tired but still perfectly useable Yamaha bbn5 that id sell for £80 plus shipping. I have three of them as I think they're brilliant for budget 5 stringers. I'll put an ad in classifieds this eve with pics or pm me if interested.
Should add I have already paid annual fee for classified ads so this is not an attempt to duck the fees.

I don't think that you can beat going into a few shops and trying some for yourself. What suits one player - especially when it comes to the sound and feel of the low B - will be totally unacceptable to another. You should also try some basses above your budget level just to see if it might be worth saving up some extra to get something you really like.

IME there are no 5-string basses with a new retail of under £1000 that I get on with. There's more to a 5-string bass than simply taking an existing design and putting a wider neck and appropriate bridge and pickup(s) on it.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1421921403' post='2666532']
I managed to find a video of the G&L doing a P-style tone. Is it achieved via the front pickup-active mode-series? Not bad. But when you factor in the seemingly endless range of additional tones that can be had on that bass, it'd be hard to look elsewhere. I may have to overstretch my budget to get one, but it may well be worth it. Only problem is getting to try before I buy to test playability. I tried the L2000 a while back and found the neck very cumbersome for my hands, a little too thick and chunky, so I imagine the 5 would be even tougher to play. FWIW, I have played a Sterling Sub Ray5 and thought the neck was great (again, for my hands). I will just have to get my bum down to the shops and try out a few basses!
[/quote]

I just solo the neck pickup for a slightly grittier (if that's the right word) tone when needed or the bridge pup for a honker jazz sound. Tbh I tend to use it in passive with both pups as I prefer that tone but some songs call for something a little different. I leave the series switch well alone as it turns the bass into a MONSTER! ;)

You're right though, getting out and trying them is the only way you'll know for sure.

Andy

Edited by colleya

I'm not really a five-string person, but as I might need one now and then, I was seriously considering this:

[url="http://www.dawsons.co.uk/squier-vintage-modified-precision-bass-v-olympic-white"]http://www.dawsons.co.uk/squier-vintage-modified-precision-bass-v-olympic-white[/url]

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1421974167' post='2667431']
I just can't make peace with the looks of those Yammys. Sorry guys, they're good basses at great prices, but they're just not 'me'.
[/quote]

That's a real shame man, the GAK bargains at the minute are too good to pass up, so much so I've just bought one.
I hear good things about the Squire VMP5 too although I haven't played one.

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1422054807' post='2668365']
I hear good things about the Squire VMP5 too although I haven't played one.
[/quote]

Me neither, but I've been reading some good reviews about it. Not that we're swayed by reviews, are we everyone?? :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1422053360' post='2668350']
I'm not really a five-string person, but as I might need one now and then, I was seriously considering this:

[url="http://www.dawsons.co.uk/squier-vintage-modified-precision-bass-v-olympic-white"]http://www.dawsons.co.uk/squier-vintage-modified-precision-bass-v-olympic-white[/url]
[/quote]

That would be my second choice after the Yamaha BB ;)

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1422092081' post='2668538']
That would be my second choice after the Yamaha BB ;)
[/quote]

I notice Thomann are doing it for £229! :)
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_sq_vm_precision_bass_v_ow.htm?sid=df6510e56a128e082bb4915ec89752ac"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_sq_vm_precision_bass_v_ow.htm?sid=df6510e56a128e082bb4915ec89752ac[/url]

Somebody buy one and tell me what it's like! :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1422096296' post='2668608']

I notice Thomann are doing it for £229! :)
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_sq_vm_precision_bass_v_ow.htm?sid=df6510e56a128e082bb4915ec89752ac"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_sq_vm_precision_bass_v_ow.htm?sid=df6510e56a128e082bb4915ec89752ac[/url]

Somebody buy one and tell me what it's like! :D
[/quote]

Played one today in PMT Norwich and I'm sorry to report that it was absolutely immense! Not great for the price, just plain great. Seriously good neck!!!
I've actually ordered a modern player jazz (they didn't have it in white in stock) because I already have a p and really wanted a J to go with it but overall the Squier was probably the better bass in all honesty and I will definitely be getting one asap.

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1422120318' post='2668935']
Played one today in PMT Norwich and I'm sorry to report that it was absolutely immense! Not great for the price, just plain great. Seriously good neck!!! I've actually ordered a modern player jazz (they didn't have it in white in stock) because I already have a p and really wanted a J to go with it but overall the Squier was probably the better bass in all honesty and I will definitely be getting one asap.
[/quote]

Well that's both good and bad! Thanks for the review. Dammit! Fantastic! Now I'll have to get one. Balls! Great! :crazy:

Just be careful with the Squier VM Jazz range. The natural finishes tend to be heavier as they are a better looking wood (Maple) so not basswood. I had a VM5 Jazz which weighed a ton, my current VM P 5er is Olympic White, basswood and appreciably lighter. Having said that I've just checked and the VM P Basses are both Basswood, coloured or sunburst but they don't do a natural P I don't think

I really believe it to be a myth that cheap basses always have flubby B strings. If they do, it's down to some cheaper basses coming with cheaper flubby strings fitted imho.
Put a .130 DR Lowrider on any bass and that B will gong like a grand piano and be useful all the way up the neck.

Edited by miles'tone

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1422137087' post='2669217']
Just be careful with the Squier VM Jazz range. The natural finishes tend to be heavier as they are a better looking wood (Maple) so not basswood. I had a VM5 Jazz which weighed a ton, my current VM P 5er is Olympic White, basswood and appreciably lighter. Having said that I've just checked and the VM P Basses are both Basswood, coloured or sunburst but they don't do a natural P I don't think
[/quote]

Olympic white VMP V for me, no doubt. I don't have a problem with basswood - or with the bass being lighter. It's the extra weight that tends to put me off five-stringers anyway, so not an issue really... but I'm still toying with the idea of an xtender for my 4-string... a cheaper solution.

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1422144112' post='2669286']
I really believe it to be a myth that cheap basses always have flubby B strings. If they do, it's down to some cheaper basses coming with cheaper flubby strings fitted imho.
Put a .130 DR Lowrider on any bass and that B will gong like a grand piano and be useful all the way up the neck.
[/quote]

I'd bet it wont, but I admire your sales technique :lol: :lol:

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1422184136' post='2669502']

I'd bet it wont, but I admire your sales technique :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

Funnily enough I have a job lot of non- flubby B strings in the boot of my car - they fell off the back of a DR lorry just yesterday. Half price for all BC'ers just meet me in the carpark before closing.

(Ignore the "made in Taiwan" stamp on the packets - they are super special Namm prototypes, just put in there for freshness you see)

That grand piano tone can be yours!!

(Fire up the Reliant Rodders, and keep her running.... :D)

Another vote for the VM P5! D'Addario ECB81-5s on, lovely low action, non-flubby B. 246 I paid, cheaper now!
And if you're choosing between J and P Squiers, you dont have to consider the neck width, because they're the same on the 5ers.

Edited by Telebass