Why become a member? ×

5 string on a budget

Funky Dunky

Hi, I have a NBD coming up soon - pics will be posted upon arrival, but I'm already looking to my NEXT acquisition!!

I want to ditch my Squier VMPJ - decent wee bass, but:

A. I don't love the ceramic pups
B. I want a 5

Now, I've heard many an opinion about the lower end (!) of the 5-string market, particularly the quality/flappiness of that extra low string. I'm only looking to spend £350ish on a new or used 5, so my expectations aren't terribly high - just an entry level 5er, preferably a P or a J.

What do y'all recommend, either new or used?

Looking forward to your replies. Thanks :-)

Edited by Funky Dunky

We-ell... I sold a Spector Legend 5 to Mark at Classic&Cool, which is now up on his site... I can recommend it because obviously I've played it. The low B is excellent and there's a very useful 3-band circuit onboard, too. Nice amber maple top... what's not to like? :)

I'll get the link, hang on...

[url="http://classicandcoolguitars.co.uk/basses/spectorlegendclassic.htm"]http://classicandcoo...gendclassic.htm[/url]

It's a nice thing, plays very well and sounds killer. It's got growl until next Tuesday (if that's what you want). I only moved it on so I could get my Euro4. It's a bargain, but even so I'm sure Mark would knock the price down a bit for a BassChatter.

Edited by discreet

Thanks for all the suggestions so far chaps. I'm looking forward to hopping on youtube and checking out some vids later :-)

That Spector is beautiful, and I'll bet it's a joy to play, unfortunately I'm just at the research stage at the moment and I reckon it'll be closer to summer before I'm buying.

Only other thing is - and apologies for not mentioning this in my original post - my new bass (arriving any day now) is a Sterling Sub Ray4 so I'm looking for something tonally completely different from that. I would prefer something that could do a P-style tone, but I'm open to suggestions.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1421832073' post='2665386']
Yamaha BB425 going for silly money at GAK right now - a PJ that's well liked by many http://www.gak.co.uk/en/yamaha-bb425-standard-bb-vintage-white/48076?gclid=CPiK5-jgpMMCFQHMtAodPU4AmQ
[/quote]

Nearly bought one myself yesterday £249 is ridiculous.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1421853122' post='2665799']
Yamaha (my preference) or Ibanez.
[/quote]

Yes to both. But also add in Spector - they do a "budget" range which are only budget in terms of price, not feel or sound! See Discreet's post above...

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1421832073' post='2665386']
Yamaha BB425 going for silly money at GAK right now - a PJ that's well liked by many [url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/yamaha-bb425-standard-bb-vintage-white/48076?gclid=CPiK5-jgpMMCFQHMtAodPU4AmQ"]http://www.gak.co.uk...CFQHMtAodPU4AmQ[/url]
[/quote]

Wow! What a price! :gas:

I know it's not strictly a p or a j but check out the G&L tribute L2500. Mine is brilliant and you should be able to pick up a 2nd hand one for your budget. There was a bloke on the North West bass gear Facebook page asking £350 for his a couple of weeks ago. Seriously worth considering.

Colleya, those are fabulous basses for the RRP, to think I could possibly pick one up for £350ish is mental! I've played the 4 string version and it does a LOT of tones. I never even thought of it. I'm really leaning towards something with a P-pup, but I'm strugglong to find something that ticks all the boxes. The Yammy sounds great but I just can't fall in love or even like with the looks - it's just not 'me'. I've checked a few vids and to be honest (and some of you may think I'm mad) the leader at the moment is believe it or not the Squier VM5 Jazz Bass. I like the looks (Marcus-tastic) I like the tones and I love the price. There are doubtless better basses out there, but not at that price as far as I can find so far. Even the Cort GB range is a good bit dearer. However, keep 'em coming and I'll keep checking them out.

I A/B ed the G&L tribute with the American 4 string (was prepared to spend quite a bit more) and couldn't put a fag paper between them in terms of tone, certainly not a few hundred quids' worth IMHO. I think the tributes use the same electronics and the U.S. ones. Mine does very passable p and j impressions at the flick of a switch.

The only thing is I'm not wild about the looks in the natural finish. The sunburst is better though.

Andy

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1421877885' post='2666219']
Doesn't get any cheaper than this and mine is amazingly good for the money. The printed red tort guard is just plain vulgar but I've covered mine in white self adhesive vinyl and it looks much better!

Before and after pics:
[/quote]

Sorry, what is it?

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1421878350' post='2666232']

Sorry, what is it?
[/quote]

It's a Harley Benton (Thomann's own brand) . Under a hundred pounds and I've played worse bases at 5 times the price. The pickups have a fairly low output but at £100 original outlay you'd have plenty of your budget left to throw in some decent pups and then some.