Why become a member? ×

New OB1 series from Orange

0175westwood29

Not sure there is great demand for a 10kg amp in todays market., outside bass geeks. Most bassists couldn't give a monkeys what class their power amp is, but they do care greatly how heavy it is. I'm very surprised they didn't use the very effective bass terror power section in this, to make it much, much lighter.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1421825235' post='2665326']
Not sure there is great demand for a 10kg amp in todays market., outside bass geeks. Most bassists couldn't give a monkeys what class their power amp is, but they do care greatly how heavy it is. I'm very surprised they didn't use the very effective bass terror power section in this, to make it much, much lighter.
[/quote]

Agree on this, an Ideal would be a rack mountable bass terror!

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1421835368' post='2665438']
I also wish they had put a effect loop in it like the OTB, so it gave the option to just use it as a poweramp...
[/quote]

I would have thought that too, better yet an effect loop for both the clean and dirty signals. Essentially though, it then becomes an amp version of the EBS Billy Sheehan pedal.

It looks cool and the blend control is a nice feature. I would have liked a separate EQ section for the dirty channel but whatever, it is a decent price.

I've been toying with another OTB since I sold my last one a while back, but between this and the OTB, they now both have some really cool features of their own, I just wish one of them combined the best bits I want so I didn't have decide which ones I would prefer if I ever go for it.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1421825235' post='2665326']
Not sure there is great demand for a 10kg amp in todays market., outside bass geeks.  Most bassists couldn't give a monkeys what class their power amp is, but they do care greatly how heavy it is. I'm very surprised they didn't use the very effective bass terror power section in this, to make it much, much lighter.
[/quote]

Well, that lightweight fad amazes me.

Why should I care to have 4-7lbs amp, when my cab weights 20-40lbs (or more)? I still have to carry heavy stuff, one more thing that weights like one of my cabs doesn't matter at all. I do like pretty light gear, but my Little Bastard is still lighter than the cab I use with it (VS112) and most of the cabs available in stores. My 3U rack with Ampeg B1, SVP-PRO and Fender TBP-1 weights the same as my Ampeg PF cabinets (but is easier to carry around because of the nice soft handle and smaller size). When I have to lift the cabinet (or two) anyway, one more thing to carry doesn't make my life any easier.

I had Ampeg PF-350, but sold it as soon as I recovered from health issues (five surgeries in one year), I compared SVT-7PRO to my old 3PRO (and SVP-PRO preamp) and I'd never choose 7PRO over 3PRO or SVP preamp. The sound is simply not there. Just like with pretty nice sounding PF-350 - does the job, but the sound was always better when I used my old B1 as a poweramp for PF-350 preamp.

I consider every Class-D amp a compromise, simple give-and-take: you get the lightweight amp that does the job, but you give away some of the sound quality.

Edited by mazdah

I've just watched the video and this could very well be a popular amp. The sound of a clean and drive tone-each being clear and distinct-at the same time is something I'm sure would be very useful and desirable for every rock/punk/indie bassist. I think the price might hold them back a bit against it's rivals, which to my mind are the Ashdown MAG series, the Hartke HA & LH amps and TC Electronic's BH500-though I reckon it could take over that soon to be discounted little beauty.

[quote name='mazdah' timestamp='1421876114' post='2666188']
I consider every Class-D amp a compromise, simple give-and-take: you get the lightweight amp that does the job, but you give away some of the sound quality.
[/quote]

Pretty much where i am. I think the lightweight phase wont last, people will realise they just dont sound the same as the big old traditional amps

10kg is really not an issue. My 3 Pro weighs 12kg and is perfectly manageable, my Streamliner weighs less than 2kg, so it sits somewhere in between.

If the basic sound is as sweet as the 3 Pro then it could be a contender, except for the shocking omission of a mute switch!

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1422036957' post='2668117']
Outstanding presentation from the man from Orange :unsure:
[/quote]

He only needed to add that 'this one goes up to eleven' and he'd have had the job in Spinal Tap :D