Why become a member? ×

Recommended/typical string height for bass. Help?

Instructio4

Hey there, just wondering if anyone knew what typical measurements are for string height

Basically, I've just changed to some lighter gauge strings on my bass and had to adjust the truss rod a tad due to a change in relief and fret buzz. i've got that TR adjustment done correct but i've now found my strings are a bit too high. I prefer pretty low action, but not too low as i also liked play aggressively at times and want to avoid that dreaded fret buzz.

I've just bought a string measurement ruler and a set of feelers, [u]a list of typical/recommended string heights[/u] would be great. I could then see what i've got to work with.

:happy:

Edited by Instructio4

This article on setup by Sadowsky gives some examples of string heights - [url="http://img.guitarchina.com/img2010/0901gc/01.pdf"]http://img.guitarchina.com/img2010/0901gc/01.pdf[/url]. In the end though it's all down to personal preference and what works for you. Neck relief, levelness of frets, string height, string type/gauge, height of pickups, how you play (finger, pick slap, light touch/digging in etc) all work together when setting up. Every bass responds differently and finessing each of these elements is the trick to finding the optimum setup for your particular bass.

I set all of my basses up to the Fender spec which in brief suggests 6/64" at the 17th fret for the E and 5/64" in the same position for the G (no capo holding the string down so make sure the nut slot heights are correct) with neck relief set to 0.012" at the 8th. Adjust sparingly to taste from there. You could just lower the action until you get some fret buzz then back off again - I find there's a paper thin transition from obvious fret buzz that you can clearly hear, then on to note choking with a lifeless tone, and then on to notes ringing out cleanly as the action increases.

it all depends on how you play, if you play hard with a pick like I do you need a higher action, mines about 3mm at the 12 fret E string, I get some fret buzz playing acoustically but none comes through the amp, strangely I get the least amount of buzz with no neck relief.
I do think there's to much macho posturing going on with the "my action is lower than your action" business.

I never measure, I set up all my basses by feel and by ear. Basically as far as action goes, I wind each string down until I get fret buzz, then raise it gradually until it goes away. Amount of relief? "Some". As long as there's a gap and it isn't ridiculous (ie. it's less than a mm) then it'll be fine.

Sorry, that doesn't really answer the question.