Why become a member? ×

Fender Bassman 100

timmo

I have an opportunity to get one of these heads plus cab from around 1977. It has not been used for 15 years . I have been told by someone not too turn it on as it has been sat a long time, and it could damage it badly. Something about dry joints. Is that true? Should i get it checked over before attempting to switch it on?

Edited by timmo

I know nothing about dry joints but being unused for so long the caps will definitely need replacing. What condition is the cab and the speakers in?

How was it stored? In someone's house or a damp garage?

Unless this is costing you less than £100 and you're going to do all the work (as a project) I'd give it a miss.

Fender bass amps weren't particularly sought after back then and it is likely to cost a lot to get someone else to get it working.

You also need to know if you will cover your costs when you sell it.

The head has been stored indoors in a case under the stairs. It hasn`t a mark on it, and looks as good as you would expect from a well looked after 30 year bit of kit.The cab, has been stored in a shed. It has no water or damp damage. No idea what it is like internally though. It has a tear in the tolex where is was caught on the car taking it out of the boot. The wood is still in good condition where it is ripped with no water marks. So i have basically got to see how much it would cost to get the caps done then. So it is best not to turn it on until it has been checked?
Thanks

I have one of these of a similar era and it sounds wonderful. If you're in the North somewhere I would recommend taking it to Dave Rosewell. He has done a great job with my stuff and he isn't expensive.

You would expect to be able to buy a working version of one of these heads for around £350, so bear that in mind when you're looking at the cost of getting it back to its former glory. If it's in as nice a condition as you say it will be lovely!