Why become a member? ×

NCD - Barefaced Retro 210 4 ohm - Story so Far....

Huge Hands

Well everyone, I finally received my 2 cabs from Barefaced on Saturday - a pair of 4 ohm Retro 210s. I have had a couple of band situations in the last two days where I was able to use them, so thought I'd post my opinions so far:

I tore a back muscle this year whilst carrying my Ashdown gear, so wanted something lighter. I mainly play 5 strings, and love that low trouser flapping rumble I was getting from my B string through my 15" cab.

Years ago, I had a quick go with Merton's then Compact (one of the first ones) with obbm's Ashdown LG1000 head. We were only able to play at low volumes due to it being in his flat, but I thought it sounded lovely.

With this, and as Alex's USP was low weight, I looked at his website, but he doesn't do 15" loaded Compacts anymore. I decided to email him and ask him what he could offer. Once I'd said what I wanted, he suggested this new Retro 210 cab he'd designed. I (and I realise a lot of people will disagree with me on this) like a very warm, deep mellow tone with little or no bark or bite. I was very sceptical as I didn't think that a 2x10 cab would be able to push the volume of air and give me the sound I like. He told me they would, so I agreed to order them and utilise his 1 month return offer if I didn't like them.

On Monday, I used both cabs (one each on a channel on my Ashdown LG1000), with my NS 5 string EUB and my Squier Precision V (with Wizard pickups).

Last night, I used one cab on its side with my Precision V in a smaller room.

I have to say in both cases, I had loads of headroom, and they sounded great! I especially liked the sound of the "mini rig" last night. Where I used to love my trousers flapping with the low B-string, I still have this but have realised the sound I thought I loved was the driver maxing out and farting. The sound is now a lot tighter and controlled without losing the force - fantastic!

I will continue to play with them over the rest of the month, but based on my experience so far, I would have thought I won't be asking to return them!

I probably need to play with my more "flat" basses to give them a thorough evaluation (I had the Wizards wound especially to suit my sound) - but the NS EUB sounded lovely through them.

However, the main thing above all of this is the weight! I know this is why I contacted Alex in the first place, but it still amazes me how light they are. It was fantastic to walk into the venue last night with my gig bag over my shoulder, my goody case (amp, stand and cables) in one hand and the cab in the other! No more trolleys over uneven car parks!

The one thing I would say that blighted the whole thing for me was the wait to get them. As I later found out on BC, I didn't wait half as long as some of the others who ordered them, and possibly got mine faster than some that did wait a long time. I was desperate to get something lighter ASAP, so when I contacted him and he gave the impression 6-8 weeks, I decided I could just about wait that long. In the end, it was about 12-13 weeks, and around the Christmas period there was a lot of "carrot and donkey" stuff going on where I was being told it would be a certain week, then they hadn't managed it. Again, I will probably get flamed for this, but I personally think that if a company promises a period of time for delivery, they should do everything in their power to make that deadline as they made that "promise". I'm now glad I did wait, but if I'd have been told 12-13 weeks originally, I may have decided to go with another manufacturer. That is just my humble opinion of course - it's easier to say all of this now it is behind me and I have the cabs!

Sorry for the blurry example images:

[url="http://s945.photobucket.com/user/Gingersonic09/media/photo_zpsc00190d6.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s945.photobucket.com/user/Gingersonic09/media/photo_zpsa847666d.jpg.html"][/url]

P.S. I did agree last night that the bage looked silly when the cab was on its side, so a "spinnable" smaller logo might have been a good touch. I do like the logo though (I know that is the subject of another thread!)

Edited by Huge Hands

Hi Martin, yep - any time for an A/B - just let me know! Would be good to get some other opinions on them too! I'm glad I went with the 4 ohm as they're suited to my LG1000 - might have to look into whether there are any other 2 channel amps in case it ever goes down! I couldn't justify having 3 cabs - whether that be due to cash or the gigs I do!

I have just had an interesting email from Alex who has obviously seen this thread. He has taken the time to follow up and explain why there were some delays experienced, and why the badges don't spin.

I think in terms of balance, it is only fair that I post that he says that the delays had been caused by a combination of difficult circumstances in 2014, and that he feels that they should soon be through the backlog and building stock to make the wait for delivery much better in 2015 for any prospective buyers.

Alex's explanation of the static badges:

[i]"When we started on the Retro10 cabs we put quite a lot of time into trying to do a square or round logo for horizonal or vertical stacking but never managed anything we were totally happy with. One that physically rotates would be a rattly nightmare on cabs this powerful - it's hard enough damping a steel grill!"[/i]

I'm picking up my retro 2x10 from my folks house today. Unfortunately I'll not get a chance to give it some proper welly for quite some time now. Looking forward to getting it hooked up with my Mesa Walkabout for a little tinkle though! I waited significantly longer than the OP for this cab (over 30 weeks, being conservative) so I'm hoping it lives up to expectations.

Edited by Bigwan

Bigwan, glad to hear you've finally got yours. I still can't believe you weren't prioritised, but I can't help but be selfishly be glad I didn't have to wait any longer myself :) . I will PM you the email Alex sent me regarding the delay explanation.

Edited by Huge Hands

[quote name='Huge Hands' timestamp='1422013019' post='2667700']
Bigwan, glad to hear you've finally got yours. I still can't believe you weren't prioritised
[/quote]

Was surprised at that myself! Think Alex has a quite a bit to learn when it comes to customer relations - (VERY) late delivery and repeated poor communication would make me think twice before ordering another cab from him.

Unboxed my cab last night. Really pretty, but looking at some of the tolex joints on the back I can tell we're going to have peeling problems within a few years. Won't bother me as long as it sounds the part.

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='Huge Hands' timestamp='1421861732' post='2665942']
Alex's explanation of the static badges:

[i]"When we started on the Retro10 cabs we put quite a lot of time into trying to do a square or round logo for horizonal or vertical stacking but never managed anything we were totally happy with. One that physically rotates would be a rattly nightmare on cabs this powerful - it's hard enough damping a steel grill!"[/i]
[/quote]
Tell him to stick it diagonally at the top right corner (if lying horizontally).

Erm... to be honest, the badge doesn't bother me, I just mentioned it because I know it had been a bone of contention for a lot of others on another thread. If you've ever met me and seen the clothes I wear, you will know that appearances are not the highest priority on my list!

Just as an update, I used the "mini rig" again last night - one cab on its side running from one channel of the LG1000.

I am loving the sound of this speaker so far. I'm getting the mellow tone I love, but it sounds so much more controlled and not as resonant as my old cabs when you really push the low end, without it sounding like it's being limited or has run out of steam. There is still plenty more oomph when you need it.

Happy customer so far. I know that privately Alex has told me he's very excited by these designs and is keen to see them out there and being enjoyed - all good here!

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1422364547' post='2671622']

I understand it is well worn, and hope a lot of the way it looks
is retro repair work...??
[/quote] its an awful photo but thats generally how the series 2 stuff is build - you might not have the prettiest cab but you have one of ther best engineered bass cabs ever designed, and its built like a tank.

The Retro Two10 is designed to be predominantly used horizontally - that's why it has a crossover inside to give it good dispersion that way around. We've put feet on the side so customers can use it vertically if that helps in a difficult acoustic situation (it can help in boomy/muddy rooms) but it's not how the cab is designed to look best or sound best.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1422440402' post='2672558']
The Retro Two10 is designed to be predominantly used horizontally - that's why it has a crossover inside to give it good dispersion that way around. We've put feet on the side so customers can use it vertically if that helps in a difficult acoustic situation (it can help in boomy/muddy rooms) but it's not how the cab is designed to look best or sound best.
[/quote]

Duly noted Alex, but I have to say that when only using one cab stood on the floor, it feels a bit too low down to sit horizontally (have to bend down to adjust my head!), so it feels like the natural thing to do to put it on its side. I was using it again last night in this way and was absolutely loving it - sounds really good across the range. If you're saying it's even better horizontally, then all the better I say - will try this next time!

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1422383650' post='2671994']
its an awful photo but thats generally how the series 2 stuff is build - you might not have the prettiest cab but you have one of ther best engineered bass cabs ever designed, and its built like a tank.
[/quote]

I've had a pop at other cabs being a lash-up as well, so just being consistant in the regard.

[quote name='Huge Hands' timestamp='1422441021' post='2672574']Duly noted Alex, but I have to say that when only using one cab stood on the floor, it feels a bit too low down to sit horizontally (have to bend down to adjust my head!), so it feels like the natural thing to do to put it on its side. I was using it again last night in this way and was absolutely loving it - sounds really good across the range. If you're saying it's even better horizontally, then all the better I say - will try this next time![/quote]

It basically sounds fatter when horizontal because both speakers couple with the floor up to a higher frequency - I guess it's less 'hi-fi' but nothing about this cab was designed to be hi-fi. And that coupling makes it louder through the lower half of the frequency range. It also sounds deeper when horizontal because of what happens to part of the tuning of the hybrid resonator when the port is coupled with ground (as in the vertical position).

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1422441811' post='2672594']

It basically sounds fatter when horizontal because both speakers couple with the floor up to a higher frequency - I guess it's less 'hi-fi' but nothing about this cab was designed to be hi-fi. And that coupling makes it louder through the lower half of the frequency range. It also sounds deeper when horizontal because of what happens to part of the tuning of the hybrid resonator when the port is coupled with ground (as in the vertical position).
[/quote] utterly OT but good to have you back posting on here Alex :-)