Why become a member? ×

Amp and Speaker (ohm) question. HELP needed..

Papabull

Hi all
Please forgive me for probably sounding like a right numpty but can i use an 8 ohm Bergantino (2x10 cab) and a 4 ohm Bergantino (2x12) cab simultaneously using a a GENZ BENZ Streamliner 900 amp. Also even if possible is this wise or are there any potential problems/pitfalls?

Always thought OHM was where the Deer and the Antelope grazed!!!

Seriously be very grateful for your thoughts

Best wishes

PB

Edited by Papabull

[quote name='ThePapabull' timestamp='1421861319' post='2665932']...can i use an 8 ohm Bergantino (2x10 cab) and a 4 ohm Bergantino (2x12) cab simultaneously using a a GENZ BENZ Streamliner 900 amp...
[/quote]

No, that amp needs a minimum impedance of 4 ohm. Coupling the Berg would bring the impedance down lower than that.

Technically possible if the cabs were wired in series, but it's doubtful that the result would be that you're looking for (less power from the amp, and a complicated, non-standard, set-up...).
What are you trying to do, exactly..?

A 4 ohm cab and an 8 ohm cab presents a 2.67 ohm load to the amp. Your Streamliner would overheat and probably go into protection mode if you ran less than 4 ohms.

My Bergantino CN212 can go loud enough for most of my bands, with headroom to spare, with a TH500.

Why do you want to run both cabs?

many thanks for your help..... i 've recently bought a Berg 2x12 4 ohm cab (awesome) and am thinning down my other gear. i have an offer/trade for a berg 2x10 and am tempted to get this as it's a bit lighter and easier to get around.
my thoughts were really about whether or not they could combine with the streamliner...... i don't really need to combine them as the berg 2x12 is more than loud enough and has a fantastic sound. am i right in thinking though that two 8 ohm cabs would not produce a problem for the gb streamliner?

many thanks pb