Why become a member? ×

New Amp from Bergantino (New photos)

fretmeister

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1442263986' post='2865673']
I'd like to point out that a bass cab isn't a PA. So while you can use DSP in a PA system for quite a few different things - lots of them really useful - on a bass cab all you can do is alter the frequency response a bit and perhaps add some judicious limiting. If a cab needs this kind of tweaking, it should probably have had more money spent on the drivers in the first place. So the comparison with PAs is misleading IMO.
[/quote]

My pedal board DI'd into a PA sounds miles better than it does through a bass rig, therefore I'd quite like a PA-style bass rig. Obviously it depends on what you're trying to achieve, but it'll suit some of us...Not that I'll ever afford one :)

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1442263986' post='2865673']
I'd like to point out that a bass cab isn't a PA. So while you can use DSP in a PA system for quite a few different things - lots of them really useful - on a bass cab all you can do is alter the frequency response a bit and perhaps add some judicious limiting. If a cab needs this kind of tweaking, it should probably have had more money spent on the drivers in the first place. So the comparison with PAs is misleading IMO.
[/quote]
With you there, Stevie. I think internal mapping on a fuller range signal can be useful and it is also a bit idiot proof so you don't blow that woofer or horns...etc
That can apply to bass as well, but in general this pre-detemined tone map is something I tend to avoid now in amps.

As it is Berg, I'd be interested in giving it a go in a shop if I was browsing, but otherwise I'm covered for quality amps, IMO.
Nothing on these pages really pricks my interest.

I was not suggesting that it is the same DSP implementation as PA systems. I was just saying that the technology is mature so the aspects of it which do work for bass cabs can be run easily and effectively. My experience of DSP implementation from Bergantino has been very positive and my guess is that he would not put out anything which would mess with his reputation. However, I am more than aware that beauty is in the ear of the beholder and the proof of the pudding will be in the gigging. I use a QSC KW112 + KW181 rig now and again. I take it as read that there is significant DSP jiggery-pokery going on inside, I do not feel the need to mess with it. I like what it does purely because I do not have to mess with it.

With regard to the IP struggling with various preamps I actually had the opposite problem. Everything I have tried sounded great, but then when I tried them through other rigs some sounded less great than others.

The Berg IP range were fantastic sounding cabs. I have not seen one comment that says otherwise.

The B|amp is an implementation that puts the IP/DSP technology into a head.

I have no doubt it will be yet another Berg innovation that moves bass playing to another level.

• 1 month later...

I remain very interested...but it really will have to be amazing to be worth me thinking of selling my TecAmp puma 900.

Mind you, the Berg IP I owned previously sounded fantastic everywhere I used it, so if I could get the sonic benefits of the IP setup with the lightness of my 2 x CN112 I'd be considering the upgrade...one of those jobs where I'd really have to try it out before buying I think.

Or I'll just wait until the gearheads on TalkBass ditch it for the 'next new thing'. I'm assuming this amp will work worldwide with mutliple voltages though...

• 3 months later...

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1454857345' post='2973572']
I am waiting for the HG310 to appear over here before taking a trip down to Bass Direct.
[/quote]

That would potentially be a great cab for you, I think....TB user Munjibunga already posting good stuff about it.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1454868439' post='2973746']
you going to end up with a lighter version of your ip? (With extra preamp)
[/quote]

I honestly do not know how it will pan out. I am by now old enough to not drop the £ until I have actually tried something (and believe you me this has taken a VERY long time). I want the B Amp + cab to do what I want (and I have sold enough kit to buy it) but the proof of the pudding will be in the playing. It would be fun to pickup the HG310 and then sit and wait for a NV610 to come up second hand so that (as Hannah Montana would say) I could have the best of both worlds. Being in a GAS ready state and not having anything to buy is a very odd experience.

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1454800920' post='2973188']
I've read the Talkbass hyperbole...anyone actually tried it out over here yet? £1150 at Bass Direct...cheap at twice the price...
[/quote]

I heard it a bunch of times at NAMM, but never bothered to try it myself since their booth was a fretless-free zone. I thought it sounded very good and I love the feature set even though I don't own any Berg cabs and would not really use the presets. I already have a quasi-IP-ish preamp/power amp rig which I rarely use these days though, so this amp is not really something I'd be likely to buy.

Really sorry, begging your forgiveness sir��
I did not try the B amp in the end but I did compare the cn410 to the hd410 though... And the HD absolutely kills, fat and punchy compared to the CN which sounded great but no where near as muscular.
I actually decided to stick with my Vanderkleys, they are deeper, punchier, warmer and have red baffles�� Edited by IanA

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1455229514' post='2977388']
That's cool, but it was cruel to keep us in suspense!
[/quote]
Was back in the shop yesterday talking to Mark, he said you had bought a B amp but might be returning it? What are you thoughts on it?

[quote name='IanA' timestamp='1457520062' post='2999226']
Was back in the shop yesterday talking to Mark, he said you had bought a B amp but might be returning it? What are you thoughts on it?
[/quote]

It is a great piece of kit - the feature set is everything I want. I A/Bd it against my Monique preamp. Obviously it does not make the same noise - they are radically different. I actually had to have them side by side before I realised that I would be sad if I had to stop using the Monique. I wish I could use the B Amp because it would mean more than halving the weight of my rig. The preamp in the Berg is great, the EQ is just superb. It is just that the Monique makes the noise I like. I could have kept both - but I just could not afford it :( The Monique is not awesome for Double Bass so I need a seperate pre for that as well. And then a way of switching between both of them. You can see that the Berg does all I want, apart from sounding like a TOTALLY different front end. Ho hum :(

Edited by owen