Why become a member? ×

New Amp from Bergantino (New photos)

fretmeister

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]What I do know is that proper DSP is so much more than "just a little more top end". [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Well, yeah, you're right. Believe me I know what proper DSP in speaker management looks like - as part of work I deal with the line up of professional cinema mixing environments - there's some very clever stuff going on. It's all good. [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I just question the need for it in a simple bass amplifier. I'm pretty sure I've never felt like I've really felt the need for a high resolution digital equaliser or loudspeaker management system on any gig I've ever done, small or large.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Being relatively poor, I realise I am not the target market for this amp, as I 'only' own two cabs, one of which I dial in "a little more top end" for. And it works great ;-)[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Anyway, I don't doubt that it'll be a killer amp regardless of cost. They seem to make well regarded stuff.[/font][/color]

[quote name='Reverend' timestamp='1422016945' post='2667774']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I deal with the line up of professional cinema mixing environments - there's some very clever stuff going on. [/font][/color]
[/quote]

I knew there has to be bassists involved in that given the LF goodness available in the cinema :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1422017159' post='2667780']
I'm intrigued, too. What will it do?
[/quote]

Wander across to TB and do a search on Bergantino IP stuff.

My peavey databass combo had a processor controlled low end in the form of an
excursion filter, along with a 450 watt digital amp and black widow 15 driver.

This was 20 years ago!!...off topic a little I know, but how forward thinking
were they!

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1422059894' post='2668413']

NOt at all: There are masses of examples out there of solutions without a problem.
[/quote]

For example, Eden's new amp heads. They have illuminated speaker output sockets. Why, I am still trying to fathom.

Unsurprisingly Jim has been working on this for a while and, from what I understand, put in some real effort to get it finished for NAMM.

We weren't allowed to say anything until it made an official debut at NAMM but, coming from Jim, you just know it's going to be good. I'm not sure he's ever made a 'bad' product. A few things have launched and fallen by the wayside, generally due to cost implications that would make them too expensive to continue with, but he seems to have set a good price on this and will have researched the market to make sure it's competitive.

With a 'list' of $1,299 that would equate to about £1,050 in the UK after all shipping and duties are taken into account.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1422196544' post='2669721']
I would have thought that to be financially viable this amp would have to work as any other amp does, with any cab, but if the filter feature is any indication, it also has to be of specific interest to Bergantino cab owners.
[/quote] im not sure the filter is the same as the dsp for speaker. Imagine this... you have a berg cab.... this amp has a hpf, eq and multiband limiting designed to get the best out of your cab.... so your cab sounds smoother deeper, fuller and so on.

He already had a similar product in the ip series... and look at reviews of the sound of them!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1421919674' post='2666501']
I'm a big Berg fan, but the digital interface makes me think of those awful Ashdown abonimations. *shudder*
[/quote]

The front end of the Superfly was rather good. The power amp side was less well thought out and implemented. I'd really like a switchable programmable graphic/parametric EQ like the Ashdown provided.

GAS!!!!

I had an IP112ER. Only sold it because of weight, sounded amazing. I now have 2 x Berg CN112s and get on fine with those. Didn't think I had amp gas at all anymore with my Streamliner 900 and Tecamp Puma 900, but...this came along...I can get the goodness of my old IP with my superlight CN112s? Sounds good to me.

£1050 is a pretty steep price,of entry though...

Pete

Also

"[color=#141823][font=Helvetica, Arial,]Auxiliary input, instrument input, auxiliary gain, (overload indicator in between) instrument gain, Master volume, protect indicator, clip indicator, Bass control (push for Variable High Pass Filter), Lo-Mid control (Memory 1), Hi-Mid control (Memory 2), Treble control (Bright control), Program mode, mute/tuner & USB port for software updates."[/font][/color]

[color=#141823][font=Helvetica, Arial,]"[/font][/color][color=#141823][font=Helvetica, Arial,]On/Off power (world-wide auto-switching), headphone output, effects send, effect return, DI w/ Gnd lift, speakon connectors & fan. On the final version, he tuner output will be a preamp output."[/font][/color]

It certainly doesn't look modern, but it does look like it was built to last. We know Berg make stunning DSP for power amps due to the mind blowingly good powered cabs they have out there, so I have high hopes for how this will perform. Looking forward to giving one a whirl.

Edited by pantherairsoft