Why become a member? ×

New Amp from Bergantino (New photos)

fretmeister

Pasted from facebook:

[color=#141823][font=Helvetica, Arial,]Introducing the B-Amp![/font][/color]

[color=#141823][font=Helvetica, Arial,]DSP, Embedded System Controlled, Bass Amplifier[/font][/color]

[color=#141823][font=Helvetica, Arial,]• Multifunction Tone Controls[/font][/color]
[color=#141823][font=Helvetica, Arial,]• Programmable Chromatic Tuner
• Programmable Filters
• USB Port
- Load Custom Speaker Profiles
- Software Upgradable
- Expandable Architecture
• 21st Century Industrial Design
• 700-Watt RMS Power Section
• Pro-Net Price $1299
• And much, much more . . .[/font][/color]

[color=#141823][font=Helvetica, Arial,]Looks nice![/font][/color] Edited by fretmeister

Major leap forward in amp design. Other companies are going to have to up their game. None of the grown up PA systems go out without DSP. DSP is obviously happening in all the smaller heads, but here it is happening for specific cabs and it is configurable. This is the future.

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1421917577' post='2666466']
Looks like the Denon HiFi amp I had in the 1980s!

I'm sure it's great though.
[/quote]
[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1421918267' post='2666474']
I like the hifi look.

I reckon I could stick it on top of my AV Amp and the missus won't notice!!

(She might notice 10m speakons winding round the edge of the room to reach the cabs though!)
[/quote]

Exactly! Wouldn't look out of place in Richer Sounds.

Surely the programmable tone controls and screen have been done before - can't remember what brand but someone was selling one on BC a few months back.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1421918857' post='2666488']
Surely the programmable tone controls and screen have been done before - can't remember what brand but someone was selling one on BC a few months back.
[/quote]
[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1421919674' post='2666501']
I'm a big Berg fan, but the digital interface makes me think of those awful Ashdown abonimations. *shudder*
[/quote]

Do we mean this:

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1421919674' post='2666501']
I'm a big Berg fan, but the digital interface makes me think of those awful Ashdown abonimations. *shudder*

But it's Bergantino, so even though it doesn't ring my bell one jot, I'm sure it's lovely.
[/quote]

I'd also reserve judgement....but only because it is Berg.

It wouldn't be too hard to cop the better DSP models and put into a dedicated bass amp
but also, as it is Berg, it has to stand a chance of being creditable.

Credible?

If Jim Bergantino is putting out any product then it'll be a million miles better than just credible.

I've been more than happy with my amps for nearly 2 years. Now everything is up for grabs again. If the DSP is anywhere as good as his IP line then he's onto a winner. Hopefully you can easily dial in his cabs.

If Carlsberg made amps. . . . . . . .

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1421922806' post='2666562']
I'd also reserve judgement....but only because it is Berg.

It wouldn't be too hard to cop the better DSP models and put into a dedicated bass amp
but also, as it is Berg, it has to stand a chance of being creditable.
[/quote]

My guess is that the DSP is not about modelling classic heads but speaker management.

[quote name='ebenezer' timestamp='1421925347' post='2666600']
Jim used to recommend separate pre amp and power amps...crest ca7 and ca9 power amps and Demeter pre
i think !
I'm sure this amp will be "on the money"....looks different, in a good way!
[/quote]

Which is why I said it would have to be creditable and if he is using those types as the start of his references, which I wouldn't be surpised about, he is right up on the game already.

Hmm, I have no problem with DSP per se. As the above poster says, almost all big PA systems use it nowadays for insanely complex crossover/room equalisation purposes, and almost all recording and mixing is done using it too, so it's definitely a useful thing, and I'm not an 'analog sounds better' guy. I just sorta think, well... why? In a small bass amp? Is this just convincing people they need something? USB port! Different settings for different cabs!! Wow. you mean, like, 'a bit more treble for this one'. I'm pretty sure people have always managed ok, and how many people are going to be using a small amp like this with loads and loads of different cabs anyway? Is this a problem that really needs solving? I'm sure it'll be really good and of great quality, but I reckon it's just a way to charge more for something which actually costs less to manufacture. I also really hope they don't introduce any kind of 'classic amp/speaker emulation' into the mix with this either. That'll just completely cheapen the product.

I'm honestly getting less and less arsed about 'how my amp sounds' as I grow older. No one in the crowd will ever hear it!

I think it looks like my Marantz PM4000 amp actually. It's that brushed metal finish :-)

There are many people out there with integrity and credibility in their industry and Jim Bergantino is right up there with the best. So I'll disagree with most of what you've just posted.

Then again, the older I get the more my sound matters to me and, believe me, on my gigs everyone hears the bass.

Thats very interesting.

If its anything like the concept behind the IP line it will be all about maximising the speaker by very sensible management of the output to it.

This may well end up being the bass 2.0 the T.C were claiming to deliver with their heads a couple of years ago.

I havent had any amp GAS for several years, until now.....

Damn!

I am running an IP310. Nothing else has ever come close to it. Yes, I could haul a box twice as big around but that is unattractive. Apparently this new amp has settings for all Berg cabs. Is the USB a way of loading up software and dialling in your own settings for non Berg cabs? Dunno. What I do know is that proper DSP is so much more than "just a little more top end".