Why become a member? ×

Gasp!... New Rickenbacker basses!!

Cosmo Valdemar

Are you sitting down?

[url="http://www.mi-pro.co.uk/news/read/namm-2015-rickenbacker-launch-new-guitar-and-bass-models/019611"]http://www.mi-pro.co.uk/news/read/namm-2015-rickenbacker-launch-new-guitar-and-bass-models/019611[/url]

Well, more a reissue than a completely 'new' model but it sounds like our friend Mr Hall is listening to what players have been requesting for years! Imagine that in Mapleglo... :gas:

[quote][color=#4C4C4C][font=Arial, sans-serif][size=4]On the bass front, the updated 4003S version comes with a dual trussrod system designed to produce the solid bass tones, ringing sustain and treble punch Rickenbacker are known for. All instruments come with mono output, as well as standard Model 4003 single coil pickups, keywinds and pickguards.[/size][/font][/color][color=#4C4C4C][font=Arial, sans-serif][size=4]
4003S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#4C4C4C][font=Arial, sans-serif][size=4]Curves of maple form the body with a traditional Rosewood fingerboard. Dot inlays and no binding make this stand out from the standard 4003[/size][/font][/color][/quote]

Erm... so the selling point is no binding, no stereo output and dot inlays then?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1421928714' post='2666663']

Really? The triangular inlays and chequer binding are two of the things that make Rickenbacker basses stand out visually for me. Without them, they are a bit bland really.
[/quote]

To me they look a bit cleaner. I like that look.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1421928714' post='2666663']
Really? The triangular inlays and chequer binding are two of the things that make Rickenbacker basses stand out visually for me. Without them, they are a bit bland really.
[/quote]

I have to say, I too like the neck binding and triangular inlays on Ricks....
Although the distinctive shape definitely doesn't look bland,
it does somehow not look quite as good as a Rick with binding and usual inlays....

£3,700 - sheesh! Can't see many players forking that amount out :o

I think the £3700 is for the 12 string guitar. The basses seem to be listed at £1950, which will probably end up in them costing the same as the current standard 4003. I don't think they are limited runs either, unless I'm mistaken.

I love the look of the old 1999 model and it makes it much easier to pull off Chris Squire impersonations, if that's your thing. I do love the triangles and binding look too, but the original look is classy as hell. And it's a nice option to have.

I've seen some brand new kack-handed Ricky basses with walnut bodies and maple fretboards... They look amazing, I would love a Ricky, but I'd be so scared of damaging a £2,000 instrument I wouldn't buy one even if I could

Edited by uk_lefty

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1421924475' post='2666587']
... it sounds like our friend Mr Hall is listening to what players have been requesting for years!
[/quote]

I don't remember requesting yet another bog-standard re-issue of the same design.

Was it you, then?

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1421924475' post='2666587']
Are you sitting down?

[url="http://www.mi-pro.co.uk/news/read/namm-2015-rickenbacker-launch-new-guitar-and-bass-models/019611"]http://www.mi-pro.co...s-models/019611[/url]

Well, more a reissue than a completely 'new' model but it sounds like our friend Mr Hall is listening to what players have been requesting for years! Imagine that in Mapleglo... :gas:
[/quote]

For a few seconds you had me thinking they'd re-issued the 4005. :huh:

[quote name='cybertect' timestamp='1422035347' post='2668091']
Rickenbacker have a vintage web site design too. They're still using tables for layout.
[/quote]

Well, they probably don't care as it will work with a large number of their customers. I doubt their web provides much of their income.