Why become a member? ×

Gasp!... New Rickenbacker basses!!

Cosmo Valdemar

It is amazing really - when you look at the videos of all the new things at NAMM, this year is great, there are loads of new things and genuinely good ideas and instruments, I was just watching a video on the Moog 37 updates etc.

And Rickenbacker made a bass with dots! w00t!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1421928714' post='2666663']
Really? The triangular inlays and chequer binding are two of the things that make Rickenbacker basses stand out visually for me. Without them, they are a bit bland really.
[/quote]

Yes Sir, totally agree with you.

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1422124654' post='2669025']
I don't fully understand what they mean by "enhanced with a 3.1 mm wider neck"
[/quote]

The wider neck is on the 12 string guitar. Rickenbacker 12 strings are notorious for having narrow necks, that's why despite them making a wonderful sound, my electric 12 string isn't a Rickenbacker

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1422210971' post='2669906']
I'm still unsure if the OP was being sarcastic or not, having read the post again, but i'll assume yes.
[/quote]

No sarcasm intended! A reissue of a cool old bass, nothing more. It might not seem like much in the grand scheme of things but it's a quantum leap for Rickenbacker... :D

I find it terrifying that some people appear to be unaware that there ever were dot-necked, unbound 'S' model Rics previously (Macca, Chris Squire, Entwistle, Pete Quaife, Maurice Gibb, Lemmy, Rutherford and Waters being famous users). I feel so old and marginalised.;-)

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1422297750' post='2670871']
I find it terrifying that some people appear to be unaware that there ever were dot-necked, unbound 'S' model Rics previously (Macca, Chris Squire, Entwistle, Pete Quaife, Maurice Gibb, Lemmy, Rutherford and Waters being famous users). I feel so old and marginalised.;-)
[/quote]

It's a classic look. Of course this new one is a standard 4003 with a few minor changes, rather than a true 1999 reissue, but I imagine that would have been considerably more expensive.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1422299708' post='2670917']

It's a classic look. Of course this new one is a standard 4003 with a few minor changes, rather than a true 1999 reissue, but I imagine that would have been considerably more expensive.
[/quote]

It's only a few replacement parts - including a hugely expensive and difficult to obtain genuine horseshoe - away. ;-)

FWIW, the '60s RM / S was to the '60s Deluxe what this S is to the current Deluxe. The current 4003 is as different to the '60s 4001 as this is to a '60s RM / S; a '60s RM / S was only a '60s 4001 with a few minor changes.

Edited by 4000

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1422218376' post='2670043']

I'll try again Luke(Thanks to some helpful bc folk);

[/quote]

So was there more than one model of the 4005. When I google images of the bass, some have no binding, with rounder edges and triangle fret markers. But some have binding, back and front, and dot fret markers?

[quote name='Who's Who' timestamp='1422344827' post='2671304']
So was there more than one model of the 4005. When I google images of the bass, some have no binding, with rounder edges and triangle fret markers. But some have binding, back and front, and dot fret markers?
[/quote]

Here ya go, there were apparently some 6 string versions (4005/6), although i've never seen one, and they were basically baritone guitars like the Fender VI, but here's the basses;;

[b][u][url="http://www.rickresource.com/rrp/burgundyglo4005.html"][color=#660000]4005[/color][/url][/u][/b]
[b]This bass is a hollow body model.
Features: Offset double cut semi-hollow away body similar styling to 1965 model 360-375 guitar, single bound edge on the back of the body, unbound rounded front edge, bound cat's eye soundhole, teardrop shaped pickguard, clear plastic finger rest, large crushed pearl triangle inlays, 2 toaster pickups, R tailpiece, 2 volume/2 tone/mix controls. Available only in Fireglo and Mapleglo finishes.
1965 - Introduced
1969 - Headstock shortened
1970 - Colorglo finishes available 1972 - High gain pickups replaced toaster pickups
1973 - Single color (white or black) binding replaced block body binding
1973 - Smaller pearloid inlays replaced crushed pearl large triangle inlays
1974 - Gap in center raised lip of bridge eliminated
1984 - Discontinued[/b]

[url="http://www.rickresource.com/rrp/burgundyglo4005.html"][color=#660000][b]4005[/b][/color][/url]S
[b]This bass is also known as Rose Morris European export model "3261".
Features: Hollow unbound double cut away body similar to model 360 guitar, R tailpiece. Available only in Fireglo and Mapleglo finishes. Un-bound F-Hole sound hole.
1965 - Introduced
1969 - Discontinued

[url="http://www.rickresource.com/rrp/4005WB75.html"][color=#660000][size=5]4005WB or 4005OS[/size][/color][/url]
This bass is the double-bound version of the 4005 model. Originally this model was called 4005 OS. Bound Cat’s eye soundhole
Features: Hollow double bound double cut away body similar to model 360 guitar, R tailpiece. Available only in Fireglo and Mapleglo finishes.
1966 - Introduced
1984 - Discontinued[/b]

[b][url="http://www.rickresource.com/rrp/4005lightshow.html"][color=#660000][size=5]4005 LS "Lightshow"[/size][/color][/url]
This bass is a special multi-colored light version of the 4005. It is the companion to the 331 model light show guitar. This was a special order item. Catseye soundhole.
Features:
(1968?) - Introduced
(1968?) - Discontinued [/b]
[b]4005/8[/b]
[b]This bass is the eight-string version of the 4005 model.
Features: The headstock was elongated in order to accommodate the 8 tuning machines.
1967 - Introduced
1984 - Discontinued [/b]

Edited by Rick's Fine '52

They have always made this model in one guise or the other.
4003s, v63, 4001cs, same bass with different bits screwed on.

However playing wise, the round edges without binding and solid finger board makes for a much more comfortable bass to play.
No doubt scores will be along to slag em off for not doing a Fender and turning a blind eye to people ripping off your brand.
But like all Ricks, they make what they want when they want and their is always a waiting list for new instruments.

look, I know I'm not a huge rickernbacker [i]fan [/i]as such, even though I dont actually [i]mind [/i]them as such; but they lok exactly like all teh other rickenbackers I've seen. They even less different than a new crop of fenders are

Bit disappointed really