Why become a member? ×

Gasp!... New Rickenbacker basses!!

Cosmo Valdemar

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1422362532' post='2671573']
look, I know I'm not a huge rickernbacker [i]fan [/i]as such, even though I dont actually [i]mind [/i]them as such; but they lok exactly like all teh other rickenbackers I've seen. They even less different than a new crop of fenders are

Bit disappointed really
[/quote]

It's not supposed to be a brand new model. It's a reissue of a previous model. Something you have to bear in mind is that most people who buy Rics want what they want; basically the 4003 (formerly 4001). Of those, some like the bound Deluxe, some like the unbound S, some like both. Historically the introduction of a new model has been met with tumbleweed from the fans; the 4004 took years to catch on even at the level it is now, which is nothing like as popular as the 4003, even though it supposedly addresses many of the problems the less-than-faithful have with the 4003.

One thing John Hall has said though is that he won't be bringing back the 4005. He doesn't like 'em. ;-)

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1422362864' post='2671579']
Perhaps my thread title was a bit OTT... "Rickenbacker reissue old bass (very similiar to current standard)" probably would have been more appropriate. :lol:
[/quote]

I sympathise. As I stated before, I'm a bit gobsmacked that people on here aren't aware of the history.....or the nature of the fans. But then, thinking about it, I'm not that surprised at all....

I have had a few 4001/4003 real and fake over the years.
The 4004 which has only been out 20 years!!! is a great bass to play. Non of that great looking but pain in arse ironmongery round the pup, easy intonation, no skin ripped off wrist by sharp edge, bridge pup is perfect thumb rest so CAN BE PLAYED FINGERSTYLE!
Do they sound like a Rick? Well, if you use two amps together, lots of effects......................
[URL=http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/DSCF0701_zpsacf59830.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q693/Karl_Altdorfer/DSCF0701_zpsacf59830.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1422365962' post='2671656']
I have had a few 4001/4003 real and fake over the years.
The 4004 which has only been out 20 years!!! is a great bass to play. Non of that great looking but pain in arse ironmongery round the pup, easy intonation, no skin ripped off wrist by sharp edge, bridge pup is perfect thumb rest so CAN BE PLAYED FINGERSTYLE!
Do they sound like a Rick? Well, if you use two amps together, lots of effects......................
[url="http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/DSCF0701_zpsacf59830.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

I briefly owned a 4004 a few years back, in red and gold... I wanted to love it, but it just felt terrible - the neck was this massive shapeless thing. Really wide too. Apparently they have a neck with the same dimensions as the current 4003, which would make for a far more pleasurable experience!
My other complaint was that it didn't really have 'that' sound, the sound I want from a rickenbacker. Not really the fault of the bass, I know.

I still think they look utterly gorgeous though.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1422368033' post='2671703']

I briefly owned a 4004 a few years back, in red and gold... I wanted to love it, but it just felt terrible - the neck was this massive shapeless thing. Really wide too. Apparently they have a neck with the same dimensions as the current 4003, which would make for a far more pleasurable experience!
My other complaint was that it didn't really have 'that' sound, the sound I want from a rickenbacker. Not really the fault of the bass, I know.

I still think they look utterly gorgeous though.
[/quote]

Interesting. Mine is a 2012, wide-ish neck but not as wide as many 4001/3's that I have had. Slim profile back to front.
The whole Rick sound to me is a bit of a misnomer. When you put in studio work, effects pedals, strings, technique, amp/amps there is a lot that goes into making that Rick sound. Even with a couple of early 70's Ricks I struggled to get a sound like Squires. Mebbe it's just that I'm sh*te. This 4004 will do anything from JPJ to 'Arry with just tweeks of the rotaries. That'll do me.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1422371589' post='2671781']
[b]The whole Rick sound to me is a bit of a misnomer[/b]. When you put in studio work, effects pedals, strings, technique, amp/amps there is a lot that goes into making that Rick sound. Even with a couple of early 70's Ricks I struggled to get a sound like Squires. Mebbe it's just that I'm sh*te. This 4004 will do anything from JPJ to 'Arry with just tweeks of the rotaries. That'll do me.
[/quote]

Without a doubt. But there is that core tone I have in my head, that trebly clank, that the 4004 couldn't quite grasp. Mine seemed to have a mouch warmer, rounder sound to it. Probably makes it a lot more versatile, but a little less niche.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1422374832' post='2671840']
Without a doubt. But there is that core tone I have in my head, that trebly clank, that the 4004 couldn't quite grasp. Mine seemed to have a mouch warmer, rounder sound to it. Probably makes it a lot more versatile, but a little less niche.
[/quote]

I had one too, a 2012 or 13 (can't quite remember - 13 I think). Lovely bass, one of the best I've had, but unfortunately had to sell due to the fact I couldn't get on with the unbound body; it really hurt my arm (yeah, I know). The neck on mine was much bigger than those on my '72s, though not as big as the earlier ones. As for the clank, I found it depended very much on what you played it through. I had mucho clank through some amps, not through others. It was inherently less clanky than the other 15 or so Rics I've had.

Edited by 4000

Interesting. Mine is a 2012, wide-ish neck but not as wide as many 4001/3's that I have had. Slim profile back to front.
The whole Rick sound to me is a bit of a misnomer. When you put in studio work, effects pedals, strings, technique, amp/amps there is a lot that goes into making that Rick sound. Even with a couple of early 70's Ricks I struggled to get a sound like Squires. Mebbe it's just that I'm sh*te. This 4004 will do anything from JPJ to 'Arry with just tweeks of the rotaries. That'll do me.
[/quote]

Well Squire's sound is only one example of a Ric sound, but generally you'll struggle to get that exact sound out of anything after '72, and to be honest you'd be struggling even then. A very light bass with the thinnest neck ever, with a 1/2" toaster and a genuine horseshoe and different value pots (and Chris Squire playing it) is not likely to sound the same as a typical mid '70s or later bass. Different neck instruction, different pickups, pots, weight, you name it. Even my 2 '72s, with essentially the same pickups, pots and weight as each other, don't sound too alike.

Edited by 4000

[/quote]

Seems like this Rick is a winner for you Karl - glad to hear it! I have my sights on the new 4003S I prefer the unbound look and contouring. My main bass now is a '75 Rick 4000 mono with a set as opposed to through neck. It's bloody luverly :P

Edited by ash

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1422379587' post='2671929']
Well Squire's sound is only one example of a Ric sound, but generally you'll struggle to get that exact sound out of anything after '72, and to be honest you'd be struggling even then. A very light bass with the thinnest neck ever, with a 1/2" toaster and a genuine horseshoe and different value pots (and Chris Squire playing it) is not likely to sound the same as a typical mid '70s or later bass. Different neck instruction, different pickups, pots, weight, you name it. Even my 2 '72s, with essentially the same pickups, pots and weight as each other, don't sound too alike.
[/quote]

Quite right that man!

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1422389536' post='2672131']
Seems like this Rick is a winner for you Karl - glad to hear it! I have my sights on the new 4003S I prefer the unbound look and contouring. My main bass now is a '75 Rick 4000 mono with a set as opposed to through neck. It's bloody luverly :P
[/quote]

I know where you live Ash it's still in my Sat Nag :ph34r: :lol:. Always wanted a 4000
In all seriousness the 4004 has relegated my beloved FSR P/J to second and the Limelight to third.
Muchess thank 'ees :D

As promised a couple of pics of my 4000 note the set neck only produced for a short time. The tuners are replacements apart from one of the 'wavy' Grovers. It has been refinished as you can see some of the old burgundy paint job through the dings. In the last pic it sits next to my similar era shortscale 3000 bass. This is a bolt on neck 'student' bass that has the loudest pickup ever!

Edited by ash

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1422727042' post='2676177']
As promised a couple of pics of my 4000 note the set neck only produced for a short time. The tuners are replacements apart from one of the 'wavy' Grovers. It has been refinished as you can see some of the old burgundy paint job through the dings. In the last pic it sits next to my similar era shortscale 3000 bass. This is a bolt on neck 'student' bass that has the loudest pickup ever!
[/quote]

Oh my word...

I had a '73 4000 set-neck that I stupidly sold. It remains the most aggressive-sounding bass I've ever played, and the action could go ludicrously low, even for me (ask Martin Petersen about me and low action :lol: ). Very versatile too, in the same way that a P is; one volume, one tone, good to go for pretty much everything. Great slap bass too, if that's your thing.

As promised a couple of pics of my 4000 note the set neck only produced for a short time.
[/quote]

All 4000s from mid-'72 or early '73 onwards had set necks until they were discontinued years later. The really rare ones are the through-necks from early '72 and earlier. The set-necks seem to have a sound of their own though IME.

Thanks for the info 4000! I've had a fireglo 4000 and an azureglo the former had a through neck and wasn't as nice to play as the others. I read that the fixed necks were fairly uncommon in the Ric bass book. Having said that 4000 basses are pretty scarce full stop! Yep I really like this one, it's beaten up but sounds and plays superbly.

[/quote]

Oh Lordy Ash.
Expect to come home to a ram raided house
:gas: :gas: :gas: :gas:

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1422882478' post='2677809']
Thanks for the info 4000! I've had a fireglo 4000 and an azureglo the former had a through neck and wasn't as nice to play as the others. I read that the fixed necks were fairly uncommon in the Ric bass book. Having said that 4000 basses are pretty scarce full stop! Yep I really like this one, it's beaten up but sounds and plays superbly.
[/quote]

Set neck 4001S basses are more uncommon, simply because of the availability of the normal Deluxe (bound) 4001 through-neck. After mid-72 the 4000 was only made as a set-neck so you had no option.

Great basses though, those 4000s. Criminally overlooked and underrated. I'll never forget the first time I plugged mine in. If JJ Burnel had played a Ric, it would have been that one. ;) First time I used it at rehearsal, the band stopped playing because they wondered what on earth the racket was. :lol:

Edited by 4000

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1422916201' post='2678461']
I think the move towards hotter pickups will make it hard to get Squire's tone. On top of that, he did wire his bass in stereo and used it extensively as such. His tone is there on live recordings be it a Fender, Sunn, Ampeg or Marshall rig he is using (and any combination thereof). Having watched his rig rundown video, he clearly isn't a gear nerd but he knows what he likes! I think a bit too much value is placed on how much material was supposedly removed from the instrument during refinishes, though it will have had some impact.

[/quote]

Chris Squire only ran the bass in stereo from Fragile onward - on the first three Yes albums he's still using two rigs but the bass itself is still mono. If you listen carefully you can hear the pickups interacting.
I managed to get very close to the fabled Squire tone with my humble 4003 with the vintage tone engaged, through a Line 6 Marshall emulation. It certainly achieved the top-end grit of those early albums, but of course without another amp it was missing those warm lows.

I agree with you about the amount of emphasis placed on the whole wallpaper and subsequent stripping episode.

edit: This isn't gospel btw, just going by my ears. :)

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar

• 3 months later...