Why become a member? ×

4 stringer into fiver. Anyone done such a thing?

Telebass

As I currently have no gas, I have instead the wild idea of converting a C neck P bass (1.75 nut) to a tight-spaced fiver. I have heard of this being done, but not much knowledge seems to be available.
Anyone here done it?

Edited by Telebass

My steinie started off life as a four banger but the factory converted a number of them to five strings before the wide neck model was introduced. String spacing is 13mm at the bridge which is playable once you get used to it.

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1421966272' post='2667340']
Ooh yes please, would be great!
[/quote]

*phew* that was in a VERY obscure place!

Actually it's a Wilkinson. Fits into Precision bass screw holes. The D string tunes at the bridge end, and is clamped up top by a natty dual-purpose replacement string tree. Comes with instructions, screws, a new nut blank, and even a B string… but I wouldn't use that, 'cos this all this stuff is about 20 years old. Brand new and unused, in knackered box :)

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/transalp1998/media/bridge_zpstzwup8cm.jpg.html][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/transalp1998/bridge_zpstzwup8cm.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='KK Jale' timestamp='1422211997' post='2669919']
*phew* that was in a VERY obscure place!

Actually it's a Wilkinson. Fits into Precision bass screw holes. The D string tunes at the bridge end, and is clamped up top by a natty dual-purpose replacement string tree. Comes with instructions, screws, a new nut blank, and even a B string… but I wouldn't use that, 'cos this all this stuff is about 20 years old. Brand new and unused, in knackered box :)

[url="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/transalp1998/media/bridge_zpstzwup8cm.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

So ... 4 tuners on the headstock and 5 strings on the bass.

No confused punters there, then.

B)

When I did one to a knackered Hondo II Rick copy I used a Kahler bridge as it can be adjusted a million ways to get the string spacing correct.

What I did for the nut was to buy one with the grooves just slightly marked out. I began with cutting the outer B & G strings using the grooves that were already there, put the A bang in the middle then cut the E & D strings in between those

• 3 weeks later...