Why become a member? ×

Spotify, very very impressed, anyone else use it ?

tonybassplayer

Been tempted in to using it for a while but decided to take the plunge recently and signed up for the 99p a month for first three months then £9.99 a month premium offer and quite honestly wish I had done this a long time ago.

We have a fabulous big and cosy conservatory with a decent audio system and I have been toying with the idea of buying a retro turntable and really getting back in to proper listening like I used to when I was younger but decided on this option and what a great decision.

Within the first hour I had download and stored for offline use hours and hours of albums I either have sat in the loft or have been on the wish list for years and I have barely scratched the surface ( sorry, what a shocking pun )

Anyone else a user ??

This is interesting as I've just started to use Spotify free and wondering whether the £10 per month is worth it. Here's the thing - I have to force myself kicking and screaming to listen to music. It's a really sad thing for a musician, but it's true. The point is I [i]am[/i] forcing myself to do it for my own good but for how long will that last... When you buy premium is it a yearly thing or can you cancel it on a monthly basis? I sure could do without all the ads. Not sure I'd download much as I'm a bit picky about keeping as much space free on my storage as possible (dunno why.. it's called storage for a reason) and I don't generally listen to music while out and about.

I enjoy browsing playlists and discovering new things and Spotify is great for that.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1421958050' post='2667188']
so if they're stored offline is it like having them on your hard drive and do you lose them if you stop paying?
[/quote]

"Offline" use means you can disconnect from your network and still play the songs - essentially they're downloaded to the device so you can play them where you want.

[quote name='tonybassplayer' timestamp='1421958642' post='2667199']
What's the connect function ?
[/quote]

If you've got two or more devices on the same wifi network, you can control music playback on one with the other. But you can't disable it, so when you get home and your phone connects itself to your wifi, it will automatically decide you want to listen to whatever was most recently playing on your PC. And download it, and play it. It will even interrupt a non-Spotify music app to make itself heard. I've recently had a month-long to and fro with customer support, the upshot of which was "it's supposed to do that"

I love it. We have two Denon Piccolo units with Spotify built in to the operating software. It's on my phone, my wife's phone and her tablet, our PC. I can Bluetooth it to the car stereo. It really is the nuts. Love nothing more than having breakfast on a Saturday morning and just browsing for new music. Christmas (cold aside) was a blast...just create a playlist of the old crooners and set it on shuffle play.

I just think it's £9.99 a month for access to pretty much every CD I own and a whole lot more; I have boxes of vinyl and 1,500+ CDs in the house just gathering dust. Used to spend £100 or more a month on music - haven't bought a CD in months.

In answer to the 'those poor old musicians' thing. Seriously, b*ll*cks to that. A dog isn't just for Christmas. If you want to make a living from music, buy a van and go out on the road. Otherwise, go work in an office.

P

Edited by NancyJohnson

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1421964098' post='2667299']
I just think it's £9.99 a month for access to pretty much every CD I own and a whole lot more;
Used to spend £100 or more a month on music - haven't bought a CD in months.
[/quote]

Exactly!
(1) Access to every CD I own - £0, because they're all on my iPod. This is the latest trend, to have people paying to access their data/stuff.
(2) So what has this done to the income of people who make their living from recording music?

I currently spend nothing on cd's a year but at least this way I am putting £120 a year back to the artists which is more than I was.

Still buy the occasional live DVD though.

Worth the payment for the convenience alone. My iPhone is currently connected to the hi fi and if I want to move a track on I just do it via my iPad that I am typing this on.

I was in on the beta for it and have been paying for a premium account since I gave up smoking (which paid for it) around 2 years ago. I create a playlist based on a favourite or recommended song, album or artist and an hour later have added at least half a dozen new (new to me) acts to my "starred" playlist. I've found so many great artists and such a variety of music on there. The app can be a little buggy at times but most apps are to be fair. I love it.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1421963597' post='2667292']
Not to pi$$ on anyone's chips but Spotify doesn't line up with the way I 'consume' music. I like to buy a CD and listen to it. Somehow I don't get the same satisfaction from free or unfeasibly cheap music. I think it's a commitment thing!
[/quote]

I totally get that to be honest. I appreciate things a lot more if I've paid for them, but hey, I pay my £9.99 a month so I'm paying for it but it's not the same as investing all your pocket money* in one carefully selected album and listening to that over and over for weeks on end. So I've also got my old Rega Planar 2 plugged into my amp and speakers so I can still access that experience of sitting down and actively listening to an album instead of just having a constant stream of music in the background.

* I'm talking about buying albums as a teenager back in my youth :)

A couple of posts appeared as I was typing mine.

I'm the same as Tonybassplayer - I'm paying £120 a year on music which was a lot more than I used to. It was always a gamble to buy and album that turned out to be a couple of good songs and 8-10 filler songs so I tended to restrict my music buying to "safe bets".

With regards to artists royalties, my view is that the record labels negotiated the royalties with Spotify and said, yeah you can put the songs on there. Any beef with the amount of money coming from said royalties should be directed towards them. It's worth noting that I've seen a few bands live after having found them on Spotify and been notified of gigs in my area via Songkick and I've gone on to pay £10-15 for a ticket to see them.

I use Spotify to play an endless loop playlist of my songs in order to generate a few £s royalties.

TBH there too many bands that I want to listen too missing from it for me to use it seriously. Also I don't like being dependent upon having an internet connection to allow me to listen to music.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1421964496' post='2667306']
Exactly!
(1) Access to every CD I own - £0, because they're all on my iPod. This is the latest trend, to have people paying to access their data/stuff.
(2) So what has this done to the income of people who make their living from recording music?
[/quote]

I've bought, ripped and still own the 1,500 CDs I've bought and I can do with them what I want. The MP3s/FLACs are sitting on a NAS and a couple of iPods. I access the MP3s occassionally (primarily the odd few albums that aren't on Spotify). It's really all about ease of delivery for me. What my iPod won't give me is music on demand. It's 2015. It's not about ownership anymore, it's about delivering a service. This applies to books, film and other media sources.

Insofar as [i]what about the people who who make their living from music[/i], I'm sorry, but I don't really care. Boo hoo. I've got the t-shirt my friend. I tried and that is why I made a life choice, got a job in an office and play in three bands in my off time. I live in a nice house, I have wife, a nice cat and Denplan. Musicians have been screwed over by managers/labels/promoters for decades and that will never change, so just add Spotify to that list. What Spotify will do however is engage a wider global audience for a tiny amount of outlay and can be done independently [i]sans le baggage[/i]. I'm sorry to tell you this, but music business has changed and there's a tiny percentage of musicians making a (decent?) living from making music. Keep up at the back. I'm sure I'll now get dozens of BC members going 'Oh no, Paul I'm sure you're wrong,' but it's the truth.