Why become a member? ×

Spotify, very very impressed, anyone else use it ?

tonybassplayer

I am 56 years old in a fortnight and have been precious about "my albums" since I started collecting them in the early seventies and until recently I thought I still was.

They have moved from my mums to Africa with me then back home in the mid eighties then through four serious relationships/marriages and five houses and if I am honest I can't remember the last time I actually played one.

I see the boxes twice a year when the xmas stuff comes out then goes back in the loft.

Tonight I listened to Made in Japan, Frampton Comes Alive, Moon Madness, Mott the Hoople Live and a A Night at the Opera. What a brilliant night and trip down memory lane.

If I can add one further note (got to get to bed, early start tomorrow and I've just drunk a frankly delicious bottle of red with dinner), try and get hold of '[i]Appetite for Self Destruction[/i]' by Steve Knopper. It's about four years old now, but still relevant. A fantastic account of the free fall in the global music business and how greed, excess and stupidity killed the record industry. It's the same now. Vinyl, tape, CD, MP3, delivery services.

I'm a big fan. Recently made the move to my own premium subscription after borrowing my wife's one for a while, the 99p for three months offer hooked me in. I'm listening to music more than I have been for years, enjoying making up playlists and generally having a nice time.

Haters gonna hate.

Another user here, I've just gone for premium as I've finally sorted my student discount card out and for the £4.99 a month that it is it's an absolute amazing thing! I use it to help me teach as well when I'm teaching.

Check out the "Best Bass Lines Ever" started by our very own Dood and regularly added to by many off here!

I thought that although the downloaded content doesn't just disappear if you cancel a Spotify premium account you'll be unable to listen to those tracks when you're offline - in effect it becomes locked (via some kind of DRM mechanism?) - otherwise you could just sign up for a month and download loads of content then cut and run? The payment for Premium gives you ad free access to the Spotify library and the ability to create offline playlists (and hence listen when offline) but the minute you stop paying so does your ability to enjoy offline playlists.

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1421968346' post='2667384']

Check out the "Best Bass Lines Ever" started by our very own Dood and regularly added to by many off here!
[/quote]

Hey Bud,
Just searched for that list and can't find it ??
B)

[quote name='kennyrodgers' timestamp='1421974046' post='2667430']
Hey Bud,
Just searched for that list and can't find it ??
B)
[/quote]

Try this [url="http://open.spotify.com/user/onlinedood/playlist/6UkfcLnRafb95u7EnciaAU"]Best Bass Lines Evaaaaar![/url] (http)

Or spotify:user:onlinedood:playlist:6UkfcLnRafb95u7EnciaAU (Spotify URI)

Edited by toneknob

Yeah I love Spotify - I like being able to share hidden gems of music with my friends who also use it and subscribe to playlists they make.

I have created a public playlist which has a grand total of 50 followers! Pretty cool!

The offline feature is very good and invaluable to people who commute on the tube where there is no signal or in more patchy reception areas.

Offline tracks have a timer - you have to go online and connect to the Spotify servers within 30 days of download. If you don't connect (or you connect and haven't paid your subscription) then they will stop working automatically.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1421968203' post='2667380']
I'm a big fan. Recently made the move to my own premium subscription after borrowing my wife's one for a while, the 99p for three months offer hooked me in. I'm listening to music more than I have been for years, enjoying making up playlists and generally having a nice time.

Haters gonna hate.
[/quote]

I think Spotify and what it does with regard to making music accessible to new listeners, and the option to introduce it via network to your friends and family is a great thing, I just wish it paid a sensible royalty to the composers. I'd rather link a YouTube video when sharing a tune, as at least the artist gets a better royalty rate.

I can name several independent musicians and composers who have removed their material from Spotify for exactly this reason.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1422008861' post='2667635']
I think Spotify and what it does with regard to making music accessible to new listeners, and the option to introduce it via network to your friends and family is a great thing, I just wish it paid a sensible royalty to the composers. I'd rather link a YouTube video when sharing a tune, as at least the artist gets a better royalty rate.

I can name several independent musicians and composers who have removed their material from Spotify for exactly this reason.
[/quote]

Spotify has re-invigorated my love and appreciation of music, and as such is likely to lead to increased purchases of music and attendance at gigs (actually getting off my lazy butt and going to see Postmodern Jukebox in February for the first time, for example).

I think people take far too narrow a view of it and just look at the money or lack of it trickling through. Spotify is a loss leader, except you're not making a loss. It's not going to make you rich either, but I reckon it's better to be in the mix of how people are listening to music these days rather than being on the outside standing on a soapbox trying to make people give a crap about you and what you're doing independently.

I agree with Nancy Johnson . Love the way you said it ;)
I'm gonna try it on payday . There are bands like air, royksopp etc. which I find patchy.
This way, i can avoid the crap stuff eventually.
Also, some rare stuff is on there apparently .

Is it true, that you don't need an internet connection all the time? ( commuting etc.)
I hope you can download stuff at home, and keep it until subscription expires.

I agree with Nancy Johnson . Love the way you said it ;)
I'm gonna try it on payday . There are bands like air, royksopp etc. which I find patchy.
This way, i can avoid the crap stuff eventually.
Also, some rare stuff is on there apparently .

Is it true, that you don't need an internet connection all the time? ( commuting etc.)
I hope you can download stuff at home, and keep it until subscription expires.

I'm with nancy on this . Love the way he said it ;)
I'll probably subscribe on payday.
There are a few bands, which I find patchy( air, royksopp. Etc.) this way I can avoid the crappy stuff.

I hope that you can download stuff at home, and not have to rely on broadband all the time tho'

I'm with nancy on this . Love the way he said it ;)
I'll probably subscribe on payday.
There are a few bands, which I find patchy( air, royksopp. Etc.) this way I can avoid the crappy stuff.

I hope that you can download stuff at home, and not have to rely on broadband all the time tho'

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1422011177' post='2667677']
I've used it for years as premium & I've discovered so much music that I wouldn't have without it.
I know nothing of royalties but surely there's an agreement somewhere between artists, labels & spotify.
[/quote]

There's an agreement between the major labels and Spotify - they got roughly [url=http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2009/aug/17/major-labels-spotify]20% of the company's shares in a 2009 deal[/url] as well as their ongoing revenue from royalties.

That could be 20% of [url=http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/permalink/2014/06/11/major-labels-trying-sell-spotify-10-billion-sources-say]$10 billion[/url] if and when Spotify goes public.

Needless to say, the smaller labels and artists aren't seeing any of that.

Putting artists' Spotify earnings (US $0.000521 per play for songwriters, $0.00521 for performers, gross payable) into context of other music download services.

http://thetrichordist.com/2014/11/12/the-streaming-price-bible-spotify-youtube-and-what-1-million-plays-means-to-you/

[quote]An artist needs to generate THREE MILLION PLAYS on the two largest and most popular streaming platforms* to equal just 1,125 album downloads from iTunes.[/quote]

* Spotify and YouTube

[quote name='cybertect' timestamp='1422017136' post='2667779']
Putting artists' Spotify earnings (US $0.000521 per play for songwriters, $0.00521 for performers, gross payable) into context of other music download services.

http://thetrichordist.com/2014/11/12/the-streaming-price-bible-spotify-youtube-and-what-1-million-plays-means-to-you/

* Spotify and YouTube
[/quote]

Do you know how this compares to a play on mainstream radio?
It really isn't a lot for sure but times are definitely changing and I think platforms like spotify could help to decrease illegal downloads in witch the artists get absolutely foxtrot alpha.

I had the free version, twas good but a little frustrating as it is pretty limited in terms of features. I opened the app about three weeks ago and lo and behold, an offer awaits me - 99p for 3 months Premium membership. I signed up immediately. It's brilliant, was really pleased to see they have a lot of the more obscure music I like. It's going to be a wrench when the three months is up deciding whether to renew at full whack or to live without what is undoubtedly a fantastic app.

Edited by Funky Dunky