Why become a member? ×

Spotify, very very impressed, anyone else use it ?

tonybassplayer

I use the free version, mainly for making up playlists of the material of the band I'm in.

It's also good for finding new music and 'testing' new albums to see if I actually want to buy them

I don't need it for on the move. There aren't that many ads tbh, and what there are are mainly Spotify desperately wanting you to sign up to the premium service.

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1422019681' post='2667811']
Do you know how this compares to a play on mainstream radio?
It really isn't a lot for sure but times are definitely changing and I think platforms like spotify could help to decrease illegal downloads in witch the artists get absolutely foxtrot alpha.
[/quote]

I don't know about national radio, but looking at my most recent PRS statement, last year a single play of a two minute long track on BBC local radio brought in a total performance royalty of about £3.00 to be shared between the songwriters. However on the back of that we were eligible for a proportion of the the "unlogged performance royalties" which added another £12 for that one song.

My total income from Spotify over the last 4 years is about $2.00

Edited by BigRedX

Free version is, of course, full of ads and somehow I'm not even able to check the price of the payable version.
Browser version (Web Player) is, of course, full of lags and crashes (and I can't use the app at work).
It does not have AC/DC, Om and some less known bands I seem to enjoy.

Those are the three problems I have with Spotify. Apart from that, it's quite nice.

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1422019681' post='2667811']Do you know how this compares to a play on mainstream radio?[/quote]

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1422021769' post='2667855']I don't know about national radio, but looking at my most recent PRS statement, last year a single play of a two minute long track on BBC local radio brought in a total performance royalty of about £3.00 to be shared between the songwriters. However on the back of that we were eligible for a proportion of the the "unlogged performance royalties" which added another £12 for that one song.[/quote]

It does depend on the profile of each station, but I think a single play on Radio 1 will earn the artist about £50-60.

Arguably it's a different class of service to radio though, as you get to choose where and when you listen to any particular track, albeit down to shuffle within an album if you're using Spotify free. If you're on a paid subscription you can take it away and listen offline. With radio, you have no control over what specific songs you're going to hear (outside of your choice of radio station and making requests to DJs).

Within that context, it's use is much closer to purchasing a record or downloaded file than listening to the radio and a Spotify user is likely to use the service to displace purchases they would have made otherwise.

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1422019681' post='2667811']It really isn't a lot for sure but times are definitely changing and I think platforms like spotify could help to decrease illegal downloads in witch the artists get absolutely foxtrot alpha.[/quote]

There is some merit in this argument, though it is close to blackmail for artists: use Spotify and get paid a pittance or don't and get nothing because people will go to illegal downloads.

Even if you take that into account, if it's highly probable that Spotify is also displacing actual sales, an artist has to get an unrealistically huge number of Spotify listens to make up for even a quite modest level of sales on iTunes or CD.

The main lesson here is how small the value of music is to modern society and commerce when the baseline is 'free' - I could draw a parallel with the rates being paid for stock photography in a different creative sphere I am fairly familiar with.

Edited by cybertect

I've used prem for a couple of years, hooked up via a netbook with a wireless keyboard and a Filo into the house stereo.
It's great, the wife loves it and spends house browsing and listening to music.
The covers band members all use it and we have a sharded list for songs to learn or suggested songs etc.
For me and the wife, it's actually stimulated the time and money we spend on music massively including CDs and live concerts.
We aare considring upping to the full service for access in the camper etc.

I had he premium service for free for quite a long time, initially through work and then via a Vodafone data pack but I couldn't see the advantage of the premium service over the regular free one so when my data pack lapsed I cancelled the premium service.

The recommended listening on Spotify always annoyed me as well. It was often hopeless and not remotely representative of something I'd like.

I listen to a lot of Internet radio stations instead these days because I like the variety and get loads of suggestions for new releases that I simply wouldn't hear about any other way. A lot of my favourite programmes are available on podcasts so I can listen whenever I feel like it. Quite a few are virtually ad-free (often sponsored rather than carrying conventional ads) and the DJ's have total control over their playlists as well :)

[quote name='cybertect' timestamp='1422025149' post='2667915']
Even if you take that into account, if it's highly probable that Spotify is also displacing actual sales, an artist has to get an unrealistically huge number of Spotify listens to make up for even a quite modest level of sales on iTunes or CD.
[/quote]

My brother-in-law who used to be a fairly prolific consumer of CDs hasn't bought a single one since joining Spotify and couple of yours ago.

I think it's fair to say that the music industry has massively changed over the last ten years and will continue to do so. I'm very unlikely at my age to start to listen avidly to new bands as I am more than happy with what I grew up with and it doesn't really bother me too much that they won't be adding too many more millions to their bank accounts via spotify.

They have concert tours and merchandise to do that for them now ..............

I stopped buying CDs years before I got into Spotify, probably a getting old thing. Stopped buying music magazines, which used to be my primary source of recommendations. We also lost our local independent record shop, where I used to spend far too much time/money, but obviously not enough. It was a pretty sudden thing, and I'm still at a loss to explain it. At least Spotify is getting be back listening again.

Don't use Spotify, but Google Play - excellent streaming quality.

I went from physical formats and moved to MP3, then to the streaming about a year ago. Good tablet, and a quality Bluetooth speaker (the Geneva stuff is awesome), and you're away.

I listen to a lot of stuff I know, and (have) owned, but I love to get into artists and bands that I would have been wary of buying before. For instance, I've been really getting into a lot of James Taylor's albums, and grooving of plenty of old Deep Purple Mk3 live.

I sold my physical collections a few years back, and my MP3 hard drives are gathering dust in the drawer. One year on from starting to stream, I'll never go back. It's fabulous! :D

Good point sponge bob . Reminds me a bit like buying live DVDs / VHS etc .
I bought a Metallica gig on iTunes at Xmas time .
It'll always be there , and won't take up any space in my flat.
The only thing that annoys me about downloading, is that eventually we re gonna be fleeced to buy more gb of data etc.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1421964125' post='2667300']
Artist's royalties from Spotify are notoriously sh*t. I avoid it on principle.
[/quote]

I understand your principles but spotify paid out 1 billion dollars last year alone in royalties.
As usual it's paid to record companies and they take in some cases 90% depending on your contract.

Amazing how much faith people seem to be putting into streaming services. I'll always be able to listen to the music I have on vinyl and CD as long as I have something to play them on. If my favourite artist decides to pull their music from Spotify then it's gone and you want to be able to listen to it again. If you haven't downloaded the tracks using one of the paid for accounts then you are totally dependent upon having a network connection to be able to listen.

Also Spotify won't be around forever. Something better/different will come along and then you'll have to start all over again building up your playlists/collections.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='tonybassplayer' timestamp='1422030381' post='2668011']
Even downloaded MP3's are starting to be just a little quaint !!
[/quote]

Maybe we're moving toward a Zen-like 'no possessions' situation.
Well.. apart from your computer, smartphone, tablet, multi-room audio system, internet connection, house, etc. etc...

Edited by discreet

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1422042365' post='2668212']
Amazing how much faith people seem to be putting into streaming services. I'll always be able to listen to the music I have on vinyl and CD as long as I have something to play them on. If my favourite artist decides to pull their music from Spotify then it's gone and you want to be able to listen to it again. If you haven't downloaded the tracks using one of the paid for accounts then you are totally dependent upon having a network connection to be able to listen.

Also Spotify won't be around forever. Something better/different will come along and then you'll have to start all over again building up your playlists/collections.
[/quote]

That was my major concern about it really. It stopped me from going premium for years. I've since found that I've got a box of cds that I never play as my musical tastes have changed over the years. My favourite classic albums I can buy on vinyl and get back to that active listening experience that I used to enjoy.

It will be a bugger to go find all the bands in my playlists again so I'd try to find a way to export them but any new service would try not to miss a trick and will make it easy to copy playlists over (if they want to nick spotify's customers then they need to).

Edited by Mornats

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1422042365' post='2668212']

[/quote]

Im not sure there is much faith required, if streaming stopped tomorrow, Id move on to the next thing or go and buy some CDs

next few months on spotify are 99p as I opened a new account from my wife's Facebook

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1422112504' post='2668828']

Im not sure there is much faith required, if streaming stopped tomorrow, Id move on to the next thing or go and buy some CDs

next few months on spotify are 99p as I opened a new account from my wife's Facebook
[/quote]

I agree, it's not likely that the whole industry will decide to give up on streaming etc overnight and even if they did it would only be for the next new alternative.

Edited by tonybassplayer