Why become a member? ×

New Boss Bass Driver Preamp - NAMM 2015

Sibob

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1421960902' post='2667246']
[url="http://www.guitarworld.com/namm-2015-boss-introduces-bb-1x-bass-driver-pedal"]http://www.guitarwor...ss-driver-pedal[/url]

Thoughts?
A well needed refresh? Or too little too late from Boss on the Bass Overdrive front?

Si
[/quote]
The proof's in the pudding, or rather the sound this thing actually makes. Features-wise it's the same as the ODB-3 with the addition of a direct out, so nothing to set the world alight. Especially as jack out' on a balanced line has always seemed a little pointless to me.

Still, to my mind almost anything would be an improvement over their existing bass OD. :)

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1421962374' post='2667268']

The proof's in the pudding, or rather the sound this thing actually makes. Features-wise it's the same as the ODB-3 with the addition of a direct out, so nothing to set the world alight. Especially as jack out' on a balanced line has always seemed a little pointless to me.

Still, to my mind almost anything would be an improvement over their existing bass OD. :)
[/quote]

This is pretty much where I stand, nice of Boss to have a go though.
MXR nearly nailed it, but no drive sound?! Silly

Si

Sounds quite good at low gain, but has some of that ODB-3 flavour at high gain still.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1421962374' post='2667268']
[/quote]

They don't make an OD at present! The ODB-3 is a mislabelled distortion/fuzz and one of my favourite pedals of all time! When used properly, it destroys.

• 2 months later...

I have a new BB-1X and I'm happy with it. Overdrive is much more subtle, with plenty of headroom before it turns into a fuzz. Most importantly it's a good Pre-amp, and allows me to give a shaped, balanced feed to my PA. (Perfectly aware that there are plenty of other pedals that already do this!)

I'd recommend it over the ODB-3 any day.

Just had one arrive and had a quick play (before swiftly selling it on!).

At low gain levels it's a great DI preamp box (if you get an XLR adapter) if you play with distortion and need a cab sim on your DI. At medium gain it sounds horrible to me and the blend really does sound like two separate signals. At high gain though, it's a fantastic fuzz! The fact that the treble control sounds like a resonant lowpass filter only adds to the synthyness (is that a word?). It can sound similar to the Diabolik at low squish settings in fact.

So this makes two mislabelled bass fuzz pedals now released by Boss! I'd keep this for fuzz if I didn't have a TAFM and Diabolik. I am keeping the ODB-3, which at high gain is a pretty extreme and unique pedal.

People will be upgrading from the ODB-3 to the BB1-X in their droves though, and for most people's purposes it's clearly the better of the two. But if you are looking for an overdrive/amp sim/DI, I'd take Tech 21 or Darkglass's offerings over this any day.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1429618665' post='2753238']
Just had one arrive and had a quick play (before swiftly selling it on!).

At low gain levels it's a great DI preamp box (if you get an XLR adapter) if you play with distortion and need a cab sim on your DI. At medium gain it sounds horrible to me and the blend really does sound like two separate signals. At high gain though, it's a fantastic fuzz! The fact that the treble control sounds like a resonant lowpass filter only adds to the synthyness (is that a word?). It can sound similar to the Diabolik at low squish settings in fact.

So this makes two mislabelled bass fuzz pedals now released by Boss! I'd keep this for fuzz if I didn't have a TAFM and Diabolik. I am keeping the ODB-3, which at high gain is a pretty extreme and unique pedal.

People will be upgrading from the ODB-3 to the BB1-X in their droves though, and for most people's purposes it's clearly the better of the two. But if you are looking for an overdrive/amp sim/DI, I'd take Tech 21 or Darkglass's offerings over this any day.
[/quote]

Thanks for the round-up db - good to know.

[quote name='NoirBass' timestamp='1429632503' post='2753450']
I was hoping for a low gain / clean DI in a Boss shaped box. Guess I'll find out in a couple of days. :-)
[/quote]

Yup, it's clean with the gain down low. I was just hoping for a bit more of a VT Bass / Darkglass Vintage amp like overdrive sound from it, but it wasn't quite what I was looking for. It does sound great at high gain though!

After trying the BB-1X for a bit I can echo Dan's thoughts above.

The separation between the drive and clean blend does sound like the OD is sitting very distinctly apart from the dry bass sound. The very high gain settings are interesting too. Turning the gain off totally offers a simple DI with a useable EQ.

What I have discovered though is that it really likes being pushed by a drive pedal. Setting the BB-1X at low gain and gaining it up with another distortion/drive gives much more convincing results.

I'll try it on my gigs over the weekend and see how it performs, but its got its work cut out to push my Tonehammer off the top spot.