Why become a member? ×

SWR replacement 10 inch speakers-someone please make senses!!

j0lly j

So.

I have a Goliath Mk3 2 x 10 that has served me well for years.Its 4 ohm and is a great cab for small gigs- even handles a 5 string well.

At reasonable volumes, it has just started to distort - nothing too drastic but it appears the drivers are on the way out. I spoke to a local expert who knows SWR gear well and he's advised me that replacement speakers would be a waste of time as the original PAS speakers are very much tuned to the cab and there is nothing out there that would do the job.

The cab is in great shape, but clearly my initial thought of sticking a pair of Eminence BP 102 replacements in may be waste of time??? Big gap in mid range ... blah blah blah !!!

Anyone solved this issue without spending silly money??

Firstly have a careful look at the drivers, the most common fault is the adhesive breaking down, look to see if the dust cap (the dome in the middle of the speaker) is coming away or the cone is separating from the corrugated surround. These can be stuck back down with Copydex a latex based adhesive. Even small tears in the cone can be repaired by laminating small pieces of tissue over the tear with copydex.

The other problem may be distortion in the coil caused by heat or the hammering of the cone on the back of the magnet, this will be obvious if you gently push the cone backwards as you will hear it/feel it rubbing against the inside of the magnet. Push it evenly from all sides as pushing from one side will make it rub anyway. Pushing with a large mug or glass can work well but be gentle, 2mm should be enough to show any problem. This can't be repaired.

If you want to keep the cab as it is then only the original drivers will give the same sound, you could try contacting Fender .

If you want to keep the cab but with a different sound then you could try substitute speakers and plenty of people here will guide you through that process. Most bass cabs are tuned to roughly 40-50Hz and the T/S parameters of most drivers are similar enough for a wide range of speakers to work in most cabs. Getting the speaker matched to the cab shouldn't be too much of a problem so long as someone does the calculations/modelling however the rest of the frequency range won't be the same so the speaker will sound different, maybe better or worse. If you want to pursue this then we need to know the exact dimensions of the port and the internal dimensions of the cab.

Assuming the chassis' needs replacing you are in for a ride, IME.
I had to replace PAS speakers and they may do recone kits in the U.S
but I don't know how they will transpose over to here.
SWR wont tell you much about PAS so you are on your own.
I put NEO 2510's in mine and they lightened the cab but I
didn't much like the comparison before and after.
I think I was in the minority as plenty of others said they
liked that swap.

The Goliath was a great range of cabs and a NEO 2510 will change it, IMO
but only you will be able to say whether you like it...

If I had to do it again, I'd take a punt of a comparitive Ceramic and maybe some guys
here can help you pick a workable option...

SWR's website used to full of archive stuff about chassis and frequency responses, iirc..
but the company ..as they were... went west ages ago.

Get advice from someone who knows the full tech...but there will be Eminence drivers available that will work perfectly well in your cab.

Try and isolate the problem first (as above) as it could be a fairly basic mechanical issue in one driver. Look at re-cone or repair options (I've heard Wembley speakers are good) then look at replacement for all four.

I recently had to replace the 8" Bag End speakers in a Baby Blue combo, and found good Eminence replacements (although it did drop the internal impedance to 4 ohms). First thing the tech said was the original Bag End drivers looked to be made by Eminence..

The sound of the amp did change, but it was pretty subtle and I suspect better.

When I blew two of the four PAS speakers in my Goliath II 4x10, I took a punt on a set of four Eminence Deltalite's. They have made the cab slightly different sounding (a bit more low mid at the cost of a bit of bottom end girth) but in a very useable way to my ears. I opted for the Deltalites based on advice received from the lads at www.lean-business.co.uk who supplied said speakers next day.

Hey guys

Just reading through these replies. Thanks for spending the time sharing your thoughts- really useful. Gives me plenty to think about.

I used the cab as a monitor at a PA gig last night and will be using it again tonight at a gig in Soho. I'll give all of these posts some thought, and may well PM a couple of you.

Thanks again.

Edited by j0lly j

• 1 month later...

i have just bought one of these and it has the Eminence Deltalites in it and it sounds great to me. I love this little cab and it weighs nothing! I use it alongside a Matamp 4x10 and it just sounds killer.

The only thing i have got to do is get some deeper rubber spacers for it as the outer rim of the speaker (not sure of the correct name) rests rather snuggly against the grill and it makes a nasty noise at high volume. luckily there is around 5-8mm to play with so will pack a few more spacers between the grill and the cab to move it away from the speakers.