Why become a member? ×

Markbass Little Mark Tube 800 - dead? (or alive?)

chrismuzz

Ok, so I've been raving about how much I love this amp, and have done since I bought it 3 months ago. However when I plugged into it last night, no sound whatsoever. Turned the master volume up to max, and turned the gain up to about 12 o clock before being able to hear the faintest sound ever. Checked all cables, swapped them with different ones, and even used a different wall socket. Nothing.

Turned it off, scratched my head for a few minutes, then put my settings back to normal and turned it back on again. The master volume pot was extremely crackly but it worked.. for about 10 seconds before it went REALLY LOUD then the volume was dropping rapidly and becoming distorted. Every time I switched it off and on the same would happen. I tried the balanced input and it was somehow worse!

Really at a loss to what the problem could be, especially since I gigged it on Saturday and it worked perfectly.

I had purchased it from Thomann, so I sent a message through their website, explaining the problems, and saying that since it is new, and I desperately need an amp for the 31st of January (I am playing at the O2 in Birmingham), I would need a replacement ASAP. They responded first thing this morning (very impressive), however I am not happy that they have not offered to replace it. They have told me they want me to send it back to be repaired which could take 3-4 weeks!

I don't know what the best thing to do is... However, I paid via PayPal using my credit card. I am tempted to see if I can get them to seize the funds back, and just buy another from somewhere else.

Any suggestions would be extremely welcome!!

Edited by chrismuzz

I have tried plugging directly into the FX return, no change. I have also tried replacing the fuse. Again, no change!! Would I be right in thinking the power section has blown, rendering the amp truly dead?

Also, I have had an email back from the retailer. I told them I will not accept a repair, only a replacement. They are now telling me that will not be possible as they are out of stock. Funny that, considering they are Available Immediately on the website! I think they're trying to screw me because it was sold slightly cheaper as B-Stock... Though upon purchase I was advised that the warranty still stands.

Edited by chrismuzz

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1422044567' post='2668243']
Sometimes the FXreturn socket gets dirty, forces the contacts apart & the amp cuts out - it's a difficult one to diagnose and fairly rare, but always worth a try. Putting a patch cable between the FX ports bypasses the problem & sometimes demonstrates that the FXreturn is the prob.
[/quote]

Oh right, interesting! Thanks for the suggestion. Sadly it hasn't worked.

The amp has worked "better" just now than it has all day... When I turned the master up full and the gain up halfway and played a couple of notes, it was making a weird faint muddy fuzzy sound. The occasional pluck on the E string made a huge pop. It's definitely shagged, just don't know what's wrong with it! I'm majorly disappointed with the customer service I've had from Thomann so far, especially considering how well regarded they are... but I will hold off before judging them too hastily...

I have also posted a message on the Markbass Facebook page asking for help as they are usually quick to help with any problems, but no reply from anyone in the company just yet...

What are the chances my credit card company or PayPal will seize the funds so I can buy a replacement in time for my gigs??

Edited by chrismuzz

[quote name='tbonepete' timestamp='1422056019' post='2668376']
Don't forget the powers that be may be in the states right now, its NAMM time!
[/quote]

Yeah! I thought I'd have had a response on the FB page and then it dawned on me that NAMM was on. Doh!! I bet if id gone down this route this morning I'd the had a response by now!

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1422001960' post='2667509']
Ok, so I've been raving about how much I love this amp, and have done since I bought it 3 months ago. However when I plugged into it last night, no sound whatsoever. Turned the master volume up to max, and turned the gain up to about 12 o clock before being able to hear the faintest sound ever. Checked all cables, swapped them with different ones, and even used a different wall socket. Nothing.

Turned it off, scratched my head for a few minutes, then put my settings back to normal and turned it back on again. The master volume pot was extremely crackly but it worked.. for about 10 seconds before it went REALLY LOUD then the volume was dropping rapidly and becoming distorted. Every time I switched it off and on the same would happen. I tried the balanced input and it was somehow worse!

Really at a loss to what the problem could be, especially since I gigged it on Saturday and it worked perfectly.

I had purchased it from Thomann, so I sent a message through their website, explaining the problems, and saying that since it is new, and I desperately need an amp for the 31st of October (I am playing at the O2 in Birmingham), I would need a replacement ASAP. They responded first thing this morning (very impressive), however I am not happy that they have not offered to replace it. They have told me they want me to send it back to be repaired which could take 3-4 weeks!

I don't know what the best thing to do is... However, I paid via PayPal using my credit card. I am tempted to see if I can get them to seize the funds back, and just buy another from somewhere else.

Any suggestions would be extremely welcome!!
[/quote]

I'm guessing you don't mean 31st October..? Years ago I dropped my LMII in its bag ( and I'm not suggesting you did that) and it went the same way soundwise. I also had bought from abroad (not Thomann) and sent it off to get it back in 3 weeks. I bought a new Hartke LM500 for £180 and used that until it came back, then sold the Hartke for £180!

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1422359825' post='2671518']

I'm guessing you don't mean 31st October..? Years ago I dropped my LMII in its bag ( and I'm not suggesting you did that) and it went the same way soundwise. I also had bought from abroad (not Thomann) and sent it off to get it back in 3 weeks. I bought a new Hartke LM500 for £180 and used that until it came back, then sold the Hartke for £180!
[/quote]

How the hell did I manage to type October when I meant this weekend? :lol:

[quote name='tbonepete' timestamp='1422359316' post='2671509']
Any news from MB people yet Chris?
[/quote]

All they have said so far is that in order to get a warranty repair done I have to send it to Germany. I can't get it done in the UK. Alternatively I can send it at my own expense to Italy for a warranty repair.

They haven't yet commented on the fact that they are refusing to replace my B stock amp with A stock, so I directly asked for their opinion.

Edited by chrismuzz

Best of luck Chris,
That sucks,I hope you get sorted.
As a matter of interest I had a similar experience but with a non musical item, and was told that I wasn't automatically entitled to a replacement due to the amount of time I'd had the product ( I think the cutoff period for automatic replacement was 30 days, after that its repair/replace discretion), and this was an item that I'd bought in the UK. I dont know if that's common, or indeed correct, but I suspect so :( .

Anyhoo, best of luck,

Cheers Pete

[quote name='tbonepete' timestamp='1422370847' post='2671758']
Best of luck Chris,
That sucks,I hope you get sorted.
As a matter of interest I had a similar experience but with a non musical item, and was told that I wasn't automatically entitled to a replacement due to the amount of time I'd had the product ( I think the cutoff period for automatic replacement was 30 days, after that its repair/replace discretion), and this was an item that I'd bought in the UK. I dont know if that's common, or indeed correct, but I suspect so :( .

Anyhoo, best of luck,

Cheers Pete
[/quote]

Yeah it is within 30 days that you get an automatic replacement, and I'd had the amp for 90.

The main issue I'm having is that if they can't repair it, they're saying they can't replace it because it is B Stock. Surely that means that my "warranty" is worthless and I'm effectively being punished for buying something at a slightly discounted rate?

Edited by chrismuzz

[quote name='tbonepete' timestamp='1422372526' post='2671797']
^^^^^^^ Ouch
[/quote]

Yeah its weird isn't it! Thanks man, I'm sure something will be sorted eventually, it's just a question of how long I will be without an amp for!

Not very impressed with my first ever order from Thomann, so I doubt I will be using them again. It's a shame because their prices and delivery timescales are excellent!

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1422477156' post='2673264']
I wonder if it could be something as simple as a duff pot.
[/quote]

That would be a dream come true! But I never use the mute function so it seems unlikely...

Markbass have said my best option is to send it to the retailer and get it fixed. Hopefully that's a possibility but I'm not happy that I'll have to be without my new amp for so long.

I'm going to send it back and take my chances. Thankfully I have been able to get in touch with fellow bass players at upcoming gigs and they've been really cool about lending me their gear to help me out of a tight spot. I'll be able to use an LM3 this Saturday so I really cant believe my luck!

I will keep this thread updated, thanks for all the responses so far :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='tbonepete' timestamp='1423763589' post='2688796']
Any news yet Chris?
[/quote]

Hey Pete, got an email early last week saying they had received it and will be starting the service process right away. I was told to wait 3-4 weeks so I've not heard any further as of yet. I'm Feeling much better about it all now that I have a "backup" 400w all tube head :lol:

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1423767023' post='2688859']

Hey Pete, got an email early last week saying they had received it and will be starting the service process right away. I was told to wait 3-4 weeks so I've not heard any further as of yet. I'm Feeling much better about it all now that I have a "backup" 400w all tube head :lol:
[/quote]

Flippin' eck Chris, is that a new MB head? Can't say I've seen one, mind you I've largely stopped looking there.
Good luck ,

Cheers Pete

• 1 month later...