Why become a member? ×

Squire Vintage Modified, Just bought - Can't believe how good it is.

logicred

Just grabbed a Squire Vintage Modified 70's bass for £240 from my local PMT store. I have played vintage Fenders and also had a 2005 Deluxe Fender Jazz which was great, so know how good fenders can sound and play. I kept reading about these new Squires being good and people are now using them for their main bass so thought I would try one. I saw lots of S/H ones for £160 ish but I could see the wood joins which put me off. The one I just bought was seamless at the front and looked really nice in natural. I could not believe how great this sounded when slapped. It was easily as good as my 2005 Deluxe. I have some EMG-JVX pickups which I Was going to drop in (and still might) but out of the box this thing sounded great. If anyone fancies a second bass or always wanted a Fender, I would try one of these in a second ;-)

[url="http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/squier-vintage-modified-jazz-bass-70s-electric-bass-guitar-in-natural-finish.html"]http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/squier-vintage-modified-jazz-bass-70s-electric-bass-guitar-in-natural-finish.html[/url]

Edited by logicred

I went to try one with the intent of comparing it to a USA Fender to sneakily try and convince myself to finally go for a really nice jazz. The Squier won and I've been modding it a bit since. A wiring loom from our good friend KiOgon, Entwistle JBXN pickups and a rather fetching custom scratchplate from Scratch-It!

I'll show you mine if you show me yours :)

Yes, they do play good
I've tried a couple in my local guitar shop, and every one has been great

I've got a VM P bass, with P/J pickups and it's brilliant

I also have a Classic Vibe 60's P bass
.... and the quality, sound and playability on that is even better than the VM series
Again, I've tried another since, just to compare - and just as good

A guitarist pal has a CV tele, and he loves it....
Says it compares to any US Fender he's played

Squiers have come on leaps & bounds lately....
If you haven't tried a Classic Vibe yet - I highly recommend a go
.... a word of warning though - you will want it! lol

I've literally just bought this VM Precision for £120 off of eBay, it was only listed for a few minutes before I snapped it up.
Well pleased! :)

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221677783228?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT"]http://www.ebay.co.u...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT[/url]

I had the VM 70s Jazz at the same time as a 2010 US Special. The Special was of course better over all in terms of playability. It just felt more solidly built. But that should go without saying, shouldn't it?
But, the sound? The VM gave THE jazz tone! The Special was very dark and much deeper but the VM was so growly and aggressive. I took both to a studio session once and the artist and engineer told me to put the US one back in it's case!

It's a bass that's on my wish list - the PMT branch in Cambridge had a couple in just before Christmas, a Jazz 4er and a 5er, both in Natural. Price was just about right too. Kinda wish I'd just said to hell with it and pulled the trigger. If they're still there next month, I may well succomb to GAS :gas:

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1422711610' post='2675900'] I've literally just bought this VM Precision for £120 off of eBay, it was only listed for a few minutes before I snapped it up. Well pleased! :) [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221677783228?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT"]http://www.ebay.co.u...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT[/url] [/quote]

Hey, thebrig. Slow down man, leave some basses for the rest of us.

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1422718402' post='2676005']
Hey, thebrig. Slow down man, leave some basses for the rest of us.
[/quote]I know, that's THREE in a week! A Gibson Thunderbird, Gary Mac's 1975 Fender Precision, and now the Squier VM Precision.

I think I have some explaining to do with the misses! :shok:

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1422646472' post='2675197']
I love the look of the Classic Vibe 70s Precision. Quite steep at around £380, though.
[/quote]

The Classic Vibe series are outstanding quality, honestly!
There are tests on youtube of guitars and basses
Some of the tests are blindfold, and the players think they're playing US, and even custom shop instruments...

£380 is perhaps a bit more than we're used to paying for something with a Squier logo on it
But for the money, I think they are immense quality
I'd say they stand up against anything £500 and over

I've played a few of the newer Mex Fenders lately,
and they're good - but not as good as the CV series IMO
I've also played a couple of US basses, new and secondhand,
and I think my Squier CV stands up to any of them

Same for the VM series really - fantastic instrument for the money

Great news thebrig - £120 for a great instrument - happy NBD to you
Something of a bargain, I think - enjoy it and if the missus hasn't seen it yet,
just convince her you've always had it, in the back of a cupboard somewhere ;) lol

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1422892137' post='2677956']
The Classic Vibe series are outstanding quality, honestly!
There are tests on youtube of guitars and basses
Some of the tests are blindfold, and the players think they're playing US, and even custom shop instruments...

£380 is perhaps a bit more than we're used to paying for something with a Squier logo on it
But for the money, I think they are immense quality
I'd say they stand up against anything £500 and over

I've played a few of the newer Mex Fenders lately,
and they're good - but not as good as the CV series IMO
I've also played a couple of US basses, new and secondhand,
and I think my Squier CV stands up to any of them

Same for the VM series really - fantastic instrument for the money

Great news thebrig - £120 for a great instrument - happy NBD to you
Something of a bargain, I think - enjoy it and if the missus hasn't seen it yet,
just convince her you've always had it, in the back of a cupboard somewhere ;) lol
[/quote]I can't keep using the same reasons for a bass that suddenly turns up, can I? :scratch_one-s_head:

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1422913600' post='2678411']
I can't keep using the same reasons for a bass that suddenly turns up, can I? :scratch_one-s_head:
[/quote]

Well, you could tell her that you took one to the repair guy
..... and he's re-sprayed it for you too! ;)

Always keep an empty guitar box in the shed / garage etc
Take it out of the house, struggling slightly - to make it appear as if the box is full
..... bring home the box, complete with bass inside

And if the bass is being sent to you via mail
simply discard your old box a day or 2 before the new bass is about to arrive,
keeping the new box for your next NBD!
Simples ;)

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1422711610' post='2675900']
I've literally just bought this VM Precision for £120 off of eBay, it was only listed for a few minutes before I snapped it up.
Well pleased! :)

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221677783228?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT"]http://www.ebay.co.u...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT[/url]
[/quote]

Top work that man. Looks great.

i picked up a 70's VM precision locally (Via Basschat) and i's really lovely, actaully compares really well to my proper 77 precision (and it's a good couple of pounds lighter) but i've got really bad GAS for a Sonic blue CV Precision so it will probably get swapped out at some point when one pops up for sale.

Matt

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1422444678' post='2672655']
Yes, they do play good
I've tried a couple in my local guitar shop, and every one has been great

I've got a VM P bass, with P/J pickups and it's brilliant

I also have a Classic Vibe 60's P bass
.... and the quality, sound and playability on that is even better than the VM series
Again, I've tried another since, just to compare - and just as good

A guitarist pal has a CV tele, and he loves it....
Says it compares to any US Fender he's played

Squiers have come on leaps & bounds lately....
If you haven't tried a Classic Vibe yet - I highly recommend a go
.... a word of warning though - you will want it! lol
[/quote]

I A/Bed a Classic Vibe Tele with the 800 quid USA version in a shop last year and there was very little in it. Finishing wasn't quite as good but for playability and tone, well depending on personal preferences I can see it beating the USA.

Funnily enough one of the best playing guitars I've tried, period, was a very well set up Squire Precision that an acquaintance owns.

As I'm scarred for life due to the bad time that I had with my first guitar which was a Squire, I find the increase in quality disturbing!

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1422954070' post='2678682']
Well, you could tell her that you took one to the repair guy
..... and he's re-sprayed it for you too! ;)

Always keep an empty guitar box in the shed / garage etc
Take it out of the house, struggling slightly - to make it appear as if the box is full
..... bring home the box, complete with bass inside

And if the bass is being sent to you via mail
simply discard your old box a day or 2 before the new bass is about to arrive,
keeping the new box for your next NBD!
Simples ;)
[/quote]It's being delivered tomorrow, I've tried to get her to go shopping with her mum for the day, but she doesn't fancy it, so I think I will just have to tell tonight about the new arrival. :huh: