Why become a member? ×

Wooden knobs

Rich

I've recently fitted some lovely ebony control knobs to the Shuker... they're beautifully made and look about a million times better than the original black metal ones. I bought them from a chap called [b]Brian Williams[/b] in the U.S. -- [url="http://stores.ebay.com/Exotic-Wood-Knobs-And-Guitar-Parts"]check his fleaBay shop out[/url], he has pretty much every wood you could want. And with the strength of the £ against the $ at the moment, they are absurdly cheap. Five of them delivered cost me less than 20 quid.

NB - I have no connection with him other than as a v.satisfied customer! :)

Your wish is my command :)
[attachment=1040:knobs_.jpg]
Forgive the rather brash colour, but that's the flash for you! The knobs are pure black under normal light... only when you look really closely or under very bright light can you see the faint brownness of the Gaboon ebony (for such it is).
As you can see, one of the original metal ones is still on. I'd love to pretend that it's there purely for a before-and-after comparison... but unfortunately it's there because I ordered a 6mm knob when it should have been 1/4"..! But splendid chap that Mr.Williams is, he offered to sort it out if I posted it back to him, which I did -- airmail for about a quid. I had an email from him today to say that it's in the post on its way back to me. So not only splendid product, but good customer service too.

Awesome! I've been looking to get some wooden knobs for my Dingwall and I was ready to pay the $125 plus shipping (IIRC) they ask for... I'm sure the dingwalls are better quality, but the price difference is incredible and I'm sure these are fine as well... after all it's mainly a visual touch, so if I can do it on the cheap then great! BTW, which are the usual shafts? 6mm or 1/4"?

Very nice indeed. Does anyone know of a good place to get knobs for basses in two sizes, both on 6mm shafts. I found a supplier somewhere a while ago who had sadowsky type knobs in standard and small sizes but cant find them anywhere now.

[quote name='Dragonlord' post='27106' date='Jul 4 2007, 07:12 PM']BTW, which are the usual shafts? 6mm or 1/4"?[/quote]I understand the rule of thumb is that splined shafts are 6mm and solid shafts are 1/4". That's certainly how it worked out in my case. Brian W has a quick guide on his shop pages.

Excellent find there Rich, I'm going to have a look and see if I can find some suitable ones for mine. I take it I've got 1/4" like you - Best check when I get home!

Now, what do you reckon - ebony like yours or shall I try and get some darkish maple to match the bass?

Rich

[quote name='RichBowman' post='27327' date='Jul 5 2007, 09:59 AM']Excellent find there Rich, I'm going to have a look and see if I can find some suitable ones for mine. I take it I've got 1/4" like you - Best check when I get home!
Now, what do you reckon - ebony like yours or shall I try and get some darkish maple to match the bass?
Rich[/quote]Ahhh, see that's where I got caught out... they were all 6mm EXCEPT the pickup pan which is 1/4". Check to see if they're splined or solid shafts. The splined are 6mm, the solids aren't..!
If you could get them to match the wood top on your bass, they'd look fabulous. I had to go for ebony cos he doesn't do sunburst ones! :) Very happy with the ebony ones though.