Why become a member? ×

Roland Blues Cube - demoed, resulting in New Guitar Amp Day

ezbass

I picked up on the the Blues Cube the other day and thought, interesting, probably not bad. Then I saw this yesterday [url="http://www.roland.com/promos/tone_capsule_ej"]http://www.roland.co...tone_capsule_ej[/url] Eric 'The Tone Hound' Johnson associated with a non vintage/non vintage/no valve product - interesting (I'm a bit of a fan). Then I watched the video; blimey!

[media]http://youtu.be/DrxP74c-2NA[/media]

Edited by ezbass

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thread resurrection, Guitar Guitar have got the Blues Cube in at last, I'm going to go and do a side by side with it, a Fender Superchamp X2 and a Blackstar idTVP15 (or 30) this week. A new amp day in the offing :)

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1427649836' post='2732692']
Thread resurrection, Guitar Guitar have got the Blues Cube in at last, I'm going to go and do a side by side with it, a Fender Superchamp X2 and a Blackstar idTVP15 (or 30) this week. A new amp day in the offing :)
[/quote]

Great video, love his playing too.

I'm so dubious of modelling amps, you always loose naturalness no matter what you gain, but for versatility there is no match to these modern wonders.

If you chose to go the other way, a Fender 68 Custom Princeton Reverb made it into my home yesterday. Surprise purchase, double the budget, but oh my gosh it was just what I needed.

It's not for everyone though. I like one amazing sound rather than a choice of loads that will most likely have me fiddling inseatd of playing. I bought this without hesitation as even with my CS Nocaster it has a lush warm and very pure clean tone, but to drive it it will need to go the full 12 watts so that won't be happening in my flat! I'm more of a clean player anyway and have a great hand made OD pedal so no issues there.

Not meaning to kill the thread with a 'go pure' message, just still basking in a new amp day. That Roland does look very cool, and they know a thing or two about gear, as does Eric. Really looking forward to your next post after trying it.

Edited by Chiliwailer

I like 2, good channels and just stick with those. I've got a single channel, home built, single ended, class A, which is lovely, but it has no reverb and I'd like something with USB output for recording so... TBH I'll probably end up with the Fender X2 as I was going to get that when the Blues Cube/ Tone Capsule was announced and I do love a Fender.

Edited by ezbass

So I went and demoed the three amps I mentioned earlier.

Blackstar TVP - noisy; a non starter.

Roland Blues Cube - clean channel very nice, Fender Deluxe like tone, breaks up when wide open (it's a master vol amp). Crunch good also, but not a crunchy version of the clean channel, more EL84 sounding; a bit middy and not an awful lot of gain at the top end (no bad thing). Reverb - very nice. Power level selection very handy as you can get 'power section' distortion when winding up the lower output levels.

Fender Super Champ X2 - clean channel very nice, almost identical to the Roland. Crunch channel - well there are 15 settings to choose from, but I just stayed with #7; 65 Deluxe, warmer and less boxy than the Roland with a bit more grit at the top end with some sweet harmonics. Reverb - lovely as a Fender should be. There are the added DSP FX but they were not relevant to the demo.

Both the Roland and Fender took a Suhr Riot distortion well, the Fender reacting a little more sympathetically.

Verdict: the X2 takes the day, the Roland is probably more versatile from a gigging perspective as it goes up to 60 watts (and it was bloody loud) but with a line out the Fender could also be used with support. That, plus tones that I prefer (albeit marginally) and that it was about £100 cheaper made the decision quite easy. So NGAD! :D

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1427817536' post='2734617']
Nice one, always good when the Fender wins the Pepsi Challenge!
[/quote]I would've bought the Super Champ months ago, but when I saw the Roland ( and the associated Eric Johnson connection) I just had to try one. TBH I think Roland are really onto something and if I'd needed more output it would've been the Blues Cube all the way, it really is a nice bit of kit which is easy to forget has no valves. However, having seen the $ price for the Tone Capsules I think Roland should just have these available as downloads as they're pretty spiteful. The Fender FUSE app is a great extra, I've already tweaked my favoured 65 Deluxe setting for a little more mids.

I got to say, the idea of the capsules didn't go down too well with me. More costs and another thing to go wrong or get lost. I bought a TC delay pedal recently, can't believe that the sounds can be adjusted via a smart phone and the guitar pickup, the world is changing.

Nothing better than getting a new amp, tone is so inspiring.

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1427821128' post='2734688'] tone is so inspiring.
[/quote]Very, very true. My basses won't be getting so much love over the next few days I think.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1427821827' post='2734696']
Very, very true. My basses won't be getting so much love over the next few days I think.
[/quote]

Haha, tell me about it!!!

I'm waiting for surgery and bass is harder to play than guitar at the moment, to be honest I shouldnt even be playing guitar either. But I've never been this inspired or comfortable before from a set up. I've owned and used plenty of cool guitars over the years from pre CBS onwards and some cool amps too, but this current set up of the Nocaster and 68 Princeton is making me think more about my guitar vibes and how I should be further developing and exploring them post surgery. I'm pretty sure bass will be a close second over the next year or so, things are sure pointing that way.

People say better gear doesn't make you a better player. I get that and why they say it, but we're all different a get inspired differently etc etc. if I'm inspired, I'm not only better, but more eager to get better and better. I better finish by saying I'm better off getting better!

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1427822429' post='2734711']
I'm waiting for surgery.
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I better finish by saying I'm better off getting better![/font][/color]
[/quote]Hope you get yourself sorted and back to fitness quickly.

• 1 year later...

Now Robben Ford joins in on the Blues Cube action...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex1wLwfyOnM

So two of my favourite guitar players now have signature tone capsules, who'll be next I wonder? If they're going through my favourite players it'll be Steve Morse, Carl Verheyen or Brian Setzer :)