Why become a member? ×

Lightweight Combos

iandusud

Hi Folks,
[color=#141414][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
[indent]I need to replace my GK MB150S which after 25 years has reliability issues. I may get it repaired but nonetheless intend to replace it. My budget won't run to replacing it with the same but I do want to retain portability and good sound. I generally play in a church setting for which the MB150S has been ideal. I usually DI it to the desk and use the amp for monitering. I'm tempted by the GK MB112-II or maybe a MB115-II but would be interested in any feedback from users of these amps, particularly the difference in sound from them. Also any other recommendations. I play a Wal Custom MkII 4 string.

Thanks, Ian
[/indent][/size][/font][/color][color=#141414][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]

[/size][/font][/color]

300w 15" plus 6 model sounds and doing it pretty well for £500.

[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/line-6-lowdown-ld-300-pro/23592"]http://www.gak.co.uk/en/line-6-lowdown-ld-300-pro/23592[/url]

Must check it out for that price.

Used it in the studio and it went down well with a DI and mic take

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1422108945' post='2668779']

[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/line-6-lowdown-ld-300-pro/23592"]http://www.gak.co.uk...d-300-pro/23592[/url]

[/quote]

I have one of these,great combo but not really light weight..I'd be looking at the TC Electronic bg250 1x15 tone print etc at 17kg

Would an EBS Classic 60 Session do it for you? Compact dim's, weighs 16kg and priced between £215 and £230. Great reviews and would certainly be enough for DI/monitor set-up. I've just got one (delivered yesterday) and can confirm that it offers a wide range of high-quality tones but can't say much about performance in venues as I've only tried it out at home so far.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1422108945' post='2668779']

[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/line-6-lowdown-ld-300-pro/23592"]http://www.gak.co.uk/en/line-6-lowdown-ld-300-pro/23592[/url]

[/quote]

Line6 don't make them anymore and as it says on the GAK link they're discontinued.

...and they weigh in excess of 40kg which more than most 410 cabs.

[quote name='ColinB' timestamp='1422114278' post='2668853']
....or one of the Fender Rumble combos. ([url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/search.html?filter=true&gk=gibacotr&manufacturer%5B%5D=Fender"]Here[/url])
[/quote]

I've thought about the Rumbles as they would seem to fit the bill. However I worry that the 100 might be low on power for the odd occasion when I don't have PA, which would mean going for the 200, but for less money I could get a 200W GK MB112 or for not much more the MB115....

[quote name='dieseldalziel' timestamp='1422111762' post='2668818']
I have one of these,great combo but not really light weight..I'd be looking at the TC Electronic bg250 1x15 tone print etc at 17kg
[/quote]

The TC Electronics don't have much in the way of EQ and the most important thing for me is the tone. I'm not really interested in effects, other than maybe a compressor, as I only play with a clean sound. This tends to put me off them a bit.

I've just bought a Fender Rumble 500 which is coming in at 16.56kgs but you probably don't need this much power - the Rumble 200 is still coming in at £373. I got GAK to pricematch a German site and got the 500 for £425 so it's only £50 more than the 200.

Soundslive currently have an ex-display 200 for £339

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1422116130' post='2668877']
Would an EBS Classic 60 Session do it for you? Compact dim's, weighs 16kg and priced between £215 and £230. Great reviews and would certainly be enough for DI/monitor set-up. I've just got one (delivered yesterday) and can confirm that it offers a wide range of high-quality tones but can't say much about performance in venues as I've only tried it out at home so far.
[/quote]

A fear the 60 might be a bit underpowered. The 120 looks nice and I like the kickback cab but it's getting a bit heavy and big...

It's the age old conundrum of price v power v portability :)

Have you thought about getting a mini 200W amp head and separate small speaker? Some small heads can be had for very little money and appear regularly secondhand on this forum. It may be possible to modify your existing combo for use as a speaker.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1422119514' post='2668926']
Line6 don't make them anymore and as it says on the GAK link they're discontinued.

...and they weigh in excess of 40kg which more than most 410 cabs.
[/quote]

Is it...? moved it around the studio once or twice... didn't get that impression.
I notice the weight wasn't included on the ad link tho. :lol:

[quote name='iandusud' timestamp='1422121233' post='2668956']

The TC Electronics don't have much in the way of EQ and the most important thing for me is the tone. I'm not really interested in effects, other than maybe a compressor, as I only play with a clean sound. This tends to put me off them a bit.
[/quote]

I have the BG250-115 and find that the 3 band EQ has a huge effect on the tone. Loads of tonal options available. The tone print compressors are very useful. I have the Spectracomp on most of the time

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1422177667' post='2669406']
Yes, to me GK have a very crisp, hard-hitting sort of thud to them, an edgy sort of sound, whereas the Fender Rumble are a warmer, richer sound, more of a rounded sound.
[/quote]

Thanks for those comments - very helpful. I think I'll try and find somewhere that has both GK and Fender and try them side by side.

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1422185062' post='2669518']
Ian, maybe the church venue acoustics should be one of the main deciding factors in your final choice. I'm no expert but wouldn't a cleaner, punchier sound work the best?
[/quote]

When I say I play in church the it's not always the same venue and generally not traditional church buildings. However your comments are valid. Thanks.

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1422188116' post='2669569']
I have the BG250-115 and find that the 3 band EQ has a huge effect on the tone. Loads of tonal options available. The tone print compressors are very useful. I have the Spectracomp on most of the time
[/quote]

Hi, I'm leaning more and more towards the BG250 combos. Out of interest did you try the 112?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc4rj6EhB7M

I didn't try the 112. This video gives a decent representation of how the 115 sounds so, I'd imagine the others are quite accurate too