Why become a member? ×

Bow for a newbie!

lobematt

[quote name='chrkelly' timestamp='1422984585' post='2679167']For reference, my 'proper' bow is a 3 grand Bryant & the Finale compares favourably in all aspects other than sound (you'll never get that tone from carbon).
[/quote]

...and how would that Bryant sound on a cheap DB?

[quote name='chrkelly' timestamp='1423008090' post='2679639']
In the right hands (not mine!)...awesome. I'd rather play a crap bass with a good bow than a good bass with a crap bow.
[/quote]

I concur. All the young bass players over here have laminate bass's but really nice bows like the Claude Marchand. You can learn on a cheap bass but its difficult to get the most out of a cheap bow.

[quote name='fatgoogle' timestamp='1423055517' post='2680044']

I concur. All the young bass players over here have laminate bass's but really nice bows like the Claude Marchand. You can learn on a cheap bass but its difficult to get the most out of a cheap bow.
[/quote]

Well, that's good to hear - I've just upgraded my bow, but haven't had enough time to make comment yet, it is a 20-year old Pernambuco, which would cost a £1k at today's prices (according to the historic inflation calculator!). I intend to upgrade my DB soon as well, but I also realise that my new bow is still very much at the lower end of the market and that the £3k for a Bryant is better spent towards my next DB until I can improve enough to justify spending more money still!

My bow is one of the inexpensive Brazilwood models that Gollihur music sell, which I got very cheaply used. My last teacher thought it was OK, but I must admit I've never tried anything better. I'm kind of curious to find out how different it could be be, but I'm just not in a position to spend the sort of money a good bow costs.

I just bought a Gewa massaranduba bow from Harry on Basschat and it seems pretty good. But I'm new to all this arco business so I've only got the cheap bow I bought at Footes to compare it to. In fact I'm new to the double bass in general so a double bass & bow day would be awesome!