Why become a member? ×

'61 Fender stack knob Jazz at Andy Baxters

Platypus

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1422132525' post='2669154']
You have to be a pretty committed collector/player to spend twenty grand on a Fender! :)
[/quote][quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1422204696' post='2669815']
Very, very tasty.
[/quote]

And there he is!! :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1422205118' post='2669822']
And there he is!! :D
[/quote]

Yep, I'm here Mark. :D . Not sure how committed I am, but i do enjoy them. And they continue to show what good investments they are, as anyone in the know will testify. In fact the last 3 years has shown growth in the quality vintage market has been bigger than ever, as the price of examples like this stacker will show. And they do sell for this money, not just touted as such. Lots of people said 3 years ago that the market had peaked, but those who bought stack knobs at c£8k then, will appreciate the, ahem, appreciation. I appreciate everyone doesn't have £8k, but you know what i mean. If this is your thing, and you are fortunate enough to be able to dabble, then why not. Basses have actually faired better than 6 stringers, which went mad in the mid nineties, and after a settling, are now starting to rise again. But the top basses are now fetching similar money to same year 6'ers. Unfortunately, the CITES issues are likely to mean even fewer of these slab board Jazzes being available, and raise prices even more.

btw, PM replied to.

I saw that bass on the site the other day - Amazing. Interesting comment about the duty, surely if he's selling it on his site the price is the end cost to a uk buyer? I'd be surprised if he said duty goes on top ..

Even if I had the money for that, I couldn't gig it. Something like that needs to stay in a studio/on a wall in the lounge (!). Imagine if a techy knocked it over, or a punter poured a pint over it!! :angry:

I'd say your moneys pretty safe tied up in something like that.

If someone on here buys it, can we all have a go?