Why become a member? ×

Which markbass head?

newbass1000

Just looking for a bit of advice here since I'm diving headfirst into the world of amps and thought I'd do a bit of research first. I've recently joined a club band who gig 2-3 times a weekend and up to now I've been DIing the bass which works well enough but I'd like to get a proper amp thrown into the mix to improve the overall sound of the band.

I've been having a browse around Thomann and discovered a markbass little mark 3 and a markbass black like 250, there's a pretty big gap in price between the two and I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with either? Is the little mark 3 a more stable purchase even with the higher price tag?

Secondly I've been looking to pick up a cab and 2x10's and 4x10's are the two main options, volume isn't really a problem since the amp will be running through the monitors but I'm thinking a louder cab might be helpful later down the line if I join a band where I maybe need the volume more? price isn't really an issue for either, I'm just looking to get the best gear possible without spending any unnecessary cash :)

Thanks for your help!

A LMIII and a 2X10 Traveller cab was my rig for around 4 years. I bought these with a 115 T cab but sold it as I did not need the extra power and the 210 cab was easier to pack!. Found it fine with various 5 stringers. Light, powerful and never needed to go over 12 oclock on the volume. Think the Blackline is less watts and is more a budget purchase.

As you can see below I currently run a TTE500 and RJ 15" cab.....

Edited by yorks5stringer

Even though I use a markbass 2, which I am very happy with! If you DI you would be
better off with the mark 3 because it has the DI level control.

Cracking amps, and very pokey....I would not part with mine.
In all, a good choice...IMHO.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1422117636' post='2668905']
A LMIII and a 2X10 Traveller cab was my rig for around 4 years. I bought these with a 115 T cab but sold it as I did not need the extra power and the 210 cab was easier to pack!. Found it fine with various 5 stringers. Light, powerful and never needed to go over 12 oclock on the volume. Think the Blackline is less watts and is more a budget purchase.

As you can see below I currently run a TTE500 and RJ 15" cab.....
[/quote]

Heard lots of good things about the little mark 3 but aside from volume do you think there's much of a gap in sound quality between that and the blackline?volume isn't so important at the moment.

I`ve had the LMIII and the Little Mark Tube 500. Both great amps, the Tube being slightly warmer in the mix. Re cabs, well I`ve also had Markbass 410, 212 and 2 x 112. All great. If you`re angling for 10s, a 210 now, and then the same cab again to double up with would be a good move - no need to re-eq when adding the second cab in, use one cab at rehearsals/smaller gigs, both when gigs require them.

I've been round the houses with lightweight amps but always kept my LMII and now use either a CMD121 Combo, which has a LMIII head in it or an SA450.
My only concern with a new LMIII is that apparently they are now using the Big Bang Class D output stage & having tried just about every Class D around, I just don't find they have the "clout" of the Class A/B section in the MB analogue amps.
I can't see me ever moving away from MB and if it were me, I'd be after a decent 2nd hand analogue amp and you are set for life.

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1422212011' post='2669921']Big Bang Class D output stage & having tried just about every Class D around, I just don't find they have the "clout" of the Class A/B section in the MB analogue amps.[/quote]

The old stuff must be earthquake epic then - my BB head moves internal organs.

If you want new and don't need headphone out or aux in then the LM3 is a good choice. If you are happy to go used then I would choose LM3 or SA450 or LMT500.
The new power amp used in new LM3 and Big Bang heads does sound warmer to my ears than the F500 class d.