Why become a member? ×

January Composition Challenge - VOTING!

Skol303

[quote name='alibabu' timestamp='1422304856' post='2670997']
The votes from the Norwegian jury went to the track that I felt was the strongest composition in the traditional meaning of the word. So, well done, mr. Baggins!
[/quote]

Many thanks. Mine is a minoroty interest area but it is nice to be appreciated!!

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1422381128' post='2671955']
Many thanks. Mine is a minoroty interest area but it is nice to be appreciated!!
[/quote]
A good composition for me consists of three elements, a singable melody, harmonics to match, and an interesting rhythmic pattern, either in the melody itself, or in the accompaniment. I have always stated that a well written composition could be translated to any genre, and still sound good. There are a lot of examples of music traveling back and forth between classical, jazz, pop, rock, country, and other more obscure genres. Even rap and other music forms where the melody is not the most important aspect, often borrow or sample melodic elements from other songs in completely different genres.
In the Basschat compo challenge, I try to pick the entry which I think is the best composition given these criteria, but it is of course easy to be deluded by a slick production and impressive playing/programming also:-).
Anyway, I have a lot to learn from each and every other contestant, both on form, programming and production, and most important, having a deadline really pushes me to get something finished, instead of having the electronic drawer full of half done projects.

[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]Voted![/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]It was [i]sooo[/i] close this month for me between Lurksalot and Old_Ben… and my vote went to Old_Ben (sorry Lurks!). Both really strong compositions to my ear, which I felt captured the image nicely - or at least chimed with my interpretation of it most strongly.[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]Old_Ben just pipped it because his track was a hair’s breadth closer to my personal taste; and I really liked the ‘rawness’ of it (I’m not referring to the production itself, which is great, but more the choice of sounds that I felt worked well). Lurks’ track was also very catchy, nicely played/produced and I really like the contribution of Lurksalittle and her mate on backing vocals. A close second.[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]The rest were, as ever, a very diverse and healthy crop :) I’ve left various comments on SoundCloud as I’ve listened through each of them.[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]Sterling work, comrades :drinks:[/size][/size][/font]

Once again a massive haul of gems, with a diversity that no longer surprises. Such differing interpretations..! I listened to each, several times, before coming to a decision, based on the aptness of the music to how I saw the picture. Obviously, others saw it in other lights, but the one that 'sang' to me the most was...
[spoiler] Bilbo..! Beautifully constructed, I could visualise the scenes behind closed eyes; they were quite stunning. I was transported. Thanks for that, lad. :hi: [/spoiler]
I'd be very tempted to vote for each piece, of course, on different merits; none below par, all with lots to offer. Great stuff, chaps; thanks to all. B)

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1422449625' post='2672773']
All great entries this month but one stood out way above the rest for me, Skols rage esque anger fuelled awesomeness. Good work all.
[/quote]

Cheers! I'm not usually so potty-mouthed... but get me started on politics and my swear box starts to runneth over ;)

I had the likes of RATM and Deftones in the back of my mind whilst producing it. Something 'heavy' and pounding on the ears.

Cor, just listened to them all. Great work fellas!
Swayed by the vocals on lurks & skols, adds an extra dimension & difficulty of lyrics but then moved by bilbos compositional skills too.
My decision goes to old ben though, i cant resist a good bit of riffage!

[quote name='Norm' timestamp='1422462773' post='2673017']
Cor, just listened to them all. Great work fellas!
Swayed by the vocals on lurks & skols, adds an extra dimension & difficulty of lyrics but then moved by bilbos compositional skills too.
My decision goes to old ben though, i cant resist a good bit of riffage!
[/quote]

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1422466232' post='2673075']
I voted the same for the same reason
[/quote]
Pretty much summed up my reasons for voting for Old_Ben too - just ticked all the boxes

Lurks was a classic :) Skols', great tunage, just a bit too sweary for me (I'm no shrinking violet, just a little too much for my delicate ears :) ). Awesome in the right context though

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1422442625' post='2672619']

[font=Helvetica][size=3][size=4]Voted![/size][/size][/font]

[font=Helvetica][size=3][size=4]It was [i]sooo[/i] close this month for me between Lurksalot and Old_Ben… and my vote went to Old_Ben (sorry Lurks!). Both really strong compositions to my ear, which I felt captured the image nicely - or at least chimed with my interpretation of it most strongly.[/size][/size][/font]

[font=Helvetica][size=3][size=4]Old_Ben just pipped it because his track was a hair’s breadth closer to my personal taste; and I really liked the ‘rawness’ of it (I’m not referring to the production itself, which is great, but more the choice of sounds that I felt worked well). Lurks’ track was also very catchy, nicely played/produced and I really like the contribution of Lurksalittle and her mate on backing vocals. A close second.[/size][/size][/font]

[/quote]

Cheers Paul , I still haven't chosen yet , but I particularly liked yours and old bens , yours has to be marked down because I cant play it to Lurksalittle :o

Old Bens was how I envisaged mine going at the start , but it got a bit tuney , rather than grungey , and rather than pull it back in line I just went with the flow :D

Thanks to everyone else for the kind words , now for a double check on my voting thoughts :rolleyes:

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1422479877' post='2673320']...I cant play it to Lurksalittle :o...[/quote]

[Shameless Plug] You can play mine to Lurksalittle..! :rolleyes: [/Shameless Plug]

(... although she [s]may not[/s] probably won't like it, either... )
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:146269]

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1422480231' post='2673327']

[Shameless Plug] You can play mine to Lurksalittle..! :rolleyes: [/Shameless Plug]

(... although she [s]may not[/s] probably won't like it, either... )
[/quote]

I did play her yours Douglas , it was great , half way through she ran off to go and do her homework , inspirational my friend ;)

Edited by lurksalot

[size=4][quote name='Bottle' timestamp='1422474837' post='2673208']
Skols', great tunage, just a bit too sweary for me (I'm no shrinking violet, just a little too much for my delicate ears :) ). Awesome in the right context though[/quote]
[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1422479877' post='2673320']
Cheers Paul , I still haven't chosen yet , but I particularly liked yours and old bens , yours has to be marked down because I cant play it to Lurksalittle :o[/quote][/size]

[font=Helvetica]Sorry chaps :blush: Please don't tell my mum![/font]

[font=Helvetica][size=3][size=4]I did try a ‘bleeped-out’ version of the lyrics and another one without the expletives, but it just didn't sound like the same song without all the swearing. Very shallow, I know.[/size][/size][/font]

[font=Helvetica][size=3][size=4]I was actually sort of ‘inspired’ by a famous rant from the now deceased blogger Ashley Morris, who wrote a lot of stuff in reaction to the US Govt’s (mis)handling of the Hurricane Katrina disaster in New Orleans. I wasn't a follower of his blogs... but I do follow the Treme drama series on HBO (well worth a watch - superb music in it) in which one of the characters, played by John Goodman, is based on Morris.[/size][/size][/font]

[font=Helvetica][size=4]I can’t write the title of his famous rant here as it’s exceptionally sweary - and ended up on T-shirts across the States - but I do think it's a great example of swearing being used in the right context.[/size][size=3] I[/size][size=4]f you’re interested you can read about it on his Wiki page:[/size][/font]

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashley_Morris_(blogger)"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashley_Morris_(blogger)[/url]

[font=Helvetica]​I won't link to the blog itself because the title will just hit you in the face, but you can find it quite easily.[/font]

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1422530883' post='2673695']
[font=Helvetica]Sorry chaps :blush: Please don't tell my mum![/font]

[font=Helvetica][size=3][size=4]I did try a ‘bleeped-out’ version of the lyrics and another one without the expletives, but it just didn't sound like the same song without all the swearing. Very shallow, I know.[/size][/size][/font]

[font=Helvetica][size=3][size=4]I was actually sort of ‘inspired’ by a famous rant from the now deceased blogger Ashley Morris, who wrote a lot of stuff in reaction to the US Govt’s (mis)handling of the Hurricane Katrina disaster in New Orleans. I wasn't a follower of his blogs... but I do follow the Treme drama series on HBO (well worth a watch - superb music in it) in which one of the characters, played by John Goodman, is based on Morris.[/size][/size][/font]

[font=Helvetica][size=4]I can’t write the title of his famous rant here as it’s exceptionally sweary - and ended up on T-shirts across the States - but I do think it's a great example of swearing being used in the right context.[/size][size=3] I[/size][size=4]f you’re interested you can read about it on his Wiki page:[/size][/font]

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashley_Morris_(blogger)"]http://en.wikipedia....orris_(blogger)[/url]

[font=Helvetica]​I won't link to the blog itself because the title will just hit you in the face, but you can find it quite easily.[/font]
[/quote]
Hehehehe, honestly, I can't think of a way that the track would work without the lyrics - and yes, it's supposed to make a political statement. Nothing wrong with a good riot every now and then just to shake things up!

Well done anyway, it's a cracker. Just edged out by Lurks and Old_Ben, but that's just my taste :)

EDIT: just went to the Wikipedia page and, yes, definitely NSFW.......FYYFF! :) hehehe

Edited by Bottle

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1422521661' post='2673569']

Halfway through, eh..? I'm improving..! :lol:
[/quote]

All the way through for me Dad but admittedly I didn't have any homework to do! ;-)
Liked it, different, interesting, profound even.
I'm looking forward to next months offerings already, excellent work all of ya!

[quote name='Norm' timestamp='1422605737' post='2674449']
All the way through for me Dad but admittedly I didn't have any homework to do! ;-)
Liked it, different, interesting, profound even.
I'm looking forward to next months offerings already, excellent work all of ya!
[/quote]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:167485]

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1422638266' post='2675045']
Some market research currently underway in General Discussion :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/254614-poll/"]http://basschat.co.u...ic/254614-poll/[/url]
[/quote]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:167485]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:166776]

Interesting. Now I'm off to construct a poll asking why BC members don't participate in polls when they're constructed. Lack of time..? Not interested..? Surly sods..? Dyslescic..? Spite..? The world needs to know. :mellow:

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1422229731' post='2670222']
Hey, Dad. You and me again, bro!!!
[/quote]

You were saying..? I'm considering building a museum for my impressive collection of wooden spoons. I was going to invite you to share a showcase, but, in the circumstances, you'd no longer be interested, I'm sure. :blush:
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:149053]