Why become a member? ×

Norms rare Guitars, a look at some of his vintage Fender basses

Rick's Fine '52

Not sure if this has been posted before, but here's a little glimpse into Norm's collection, some fine vintage stuff here, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

I'd love to spend a few days looking through that lot, although I did manage to prize the stack knob from him shown in this video.

Not sure he'd be happy watching the manhandling of some of them though?? :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASAhl8cxB2A

http://youtu.be/ASAhl8cxB2A

https://i.ytimg.com/vi_webp/ASAhl8cxB2A/mqdefault.webp

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1422360061' post='2671523']
Cool and i like/love fender basses...

But found it a bit boring just pulling out the same old fender p's and jazz basses. The same basses over and over again really.
[/quote]

Considering the guy was showing us a quick snapsot of some of the different early Fender Basses in the collection, what would you expect?

He showed us the different evolutionary models of P bass, including a possible one-off custom colour '58, with matching headstock. Same with J's, rare stack knob and some great custom colour examples shown.

Would be nice to have an extended verion of the vid, showing them being played,and comparing the tones etc, but I thought it was a nice little watch.

Considering that Fender only made 2 pre-CBS basses (I wont include the bass vi for purposes of this discussion), a Jazz and Precision, what else could he show you, other than fine examples of rare models, which he did. There is a whole series of other video's showing other stuff they have, and newer bits, hollow bodies, solid bodies etc.

I respect your opinion, just curious as to what you would have liked him to show?

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1422366425' post='2671665']
Considering the guy was showing us a quick snapsot of some of the different early Fender Basses in the collection, what would you expect?

He showed us the different evolutionary models of P bass, including a possible one-off custom colour '58, with matching headstock. Same with J's, rare stack knob and some great custom colour examples shown.

Would be nice to have an extended verion of the vid, showing them being played,and comparing the tones etc, but I thought it was a nice little watch.

Considering that Fender only made 2 pre-CBS basses (I wont include the bass vi for purposes of this discussion), a Jazz and Precision, what else could he show you, other than fine examples of rare models, which he did. There is a whole series of other video's showing other stuff they have, and newer bits, hollow bodies, solid bodies etc.

I respect your opinion, just curious as to what you would have liked him to show?
[/quote]

Oh don't get me wrong i loved seeing the basses, and i liked the vid. And i know he was showing fender basses. Just i thought it got a little boring,to me. Some of the basses were the same just a different/rare colour which is cool.

Would of loved to hear there different tones, or maybe more in depth info like how neck dimensions changed. I know its only a short vid.

Now im looking like im calling fenders boring or something im not at all. Just would of been cool if he pulled out a few other basses. Telecaster bass the one with the humbucker near the neck, Isn't there some horrid fender bass V thing with mustang pickups, And talking of which a old mustang bass (my fav) would be cool to see. Just to mix it up from the normal p's and j's.

Oh and to add that stack knob jazz is awesome and my fav in the vid.

Edited by Twincam

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1422191718' post='2669616']
Not sure if this has been posted before, but here's a little glimpse into Norm's collection, some fine vintage stuff here, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

I'd love to spend a few days looking through that lot, although I did manage to prize the stack knob from him shown in this video.

Not sure he'd be happy watching the manhandling of some of them though?? :rolleyes:

[/quote]

Yeah, he's a bit blase about it all isn't he - yank out a case, wave several thousand dollars-worth of bass around in one hand, then stick it back in the case without even bothering to latch it closed. :o