Why become a member? ×

Is there such a thing as an Industry Standard

jonunders

[quote name='SingleMalt' timestamp='1422196959' post='2669728']
I would think the Fender Jazz and Precision could be considered industry standards.
[/quote]

Indeed............

and I would have said that Ampeg SVT was the bass rig standard but I don't think that is so true anymore...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1422198416' post='2669748']
Indeed............

and I would have said that Ampeg SVT was the bass rig standard but I don't think that is so true anymore...
[/quote]
Second-most-spotted pro rig on live stages and TV shows would have to be Ashdown ABM. Not bad for a 'woolly-sounding' amp!

I can't hear the bass rig in my front room when watching a band either mime on a chat show or have it going to the desk via DI and rarely a mic'd cab either ;)

The industry has changed imo so there are less industry standards, the studio with a P, Jazz and Stingray in thevstore room for artists to use for recording are long gone in the main aren't they? Laptop and interface or something churned out by Simon Cowell and Co doesn't need these things except for miming where the SVT and 3TSB and tortie Jazz is still king, it's probably the same one used by every band :lol:

When you consider the VAST amount of basses that are inspired by the Fender Precision and Fender Jazz, it's not hard to see these two basses as an "industry" standard. I've always been told to keep a Jazz and a Precision in my arsenal, and ideally to keep two P's, one with flats and one with rounds, as 90% of the sessions you do in the studio can be done with one of these three basses!

Amp wise it certainly was Ampeg, but the two new(er) boys to the game are without a doubt Aguilar and Ashdown! You will never go wrong for tone using any of the above combinations!

As an aside, "BOG" was made up of 'British or German' standard and meant 'high quality' standard. Fully how words take on new meanings!

I would suggest the industry standard is not the Fender brand or articular pickups used, but the actual guitar form it's self. As in being made from strings about 35", body made of wood, slung around the neck and the output stuck in to somthing which amplifys the sound. That is much more standard in Rock/Pop/Whatever to me than EUB, DB, or keys.

Different genre's have different "industry standards", Jazz for example not really having any sort of standard other than 'the standards' themselves!

Difficult to argue against the jazz bass being a LA/NY standard in the past...primarily due to the expectations and pressure from sound engineers. I find the sound a little uninspiring though, with the exception of the Celinder J Update 5's I've played. Alembics were the preferred standard in Nashville for a long time though.

It's funny, I was devastated a while back when I first found out, one of my favourite bands, Salmonella Dub, who have awesome heavy dub basslines, don't even have a bass player. It's all samples and keyboard wizardry. Industry standard right out the window!

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1422278058' post='2670539']
Not sure about the SM58 today..even at pub level you are beginning to see more and more discerning vocalists
give it a miss.
[/quote]

I don't know whether I'd agree with this!

Yes, more people are trying different stuff but the sm 58 still dominated by far.

People need to get the Heil pr35 in their life...

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1422335916' post='2671268']

I don't know whether I'd agree with this!

Yes, more people are trying different stuff but the sm 58 still dominated by far.

People need to get the Heil pr35 in their life...
[/quote]

I have already mate and love it! I have an sm58 as a spare now.

Hard to argue, so I have to say yes to industry standard for the P and Jazz, however they might not be Fenders.

Me, I have 2 MIJ Ps which I like but I hardly ever gig with them.

My primary is a German made Hofner Limited Edition 502 Club Bass with Cavern Club PU spacing, with flats. I also gig with a Gibson LP Gold Top, 91 Thunderbird and ES-335.

Blue

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1422405088' post='2672382']

To be fair though, at 2.5 times the price of an SM58 you'd expect it to be better.
[/quote]

You can't argue with "you get what you pay for" can you?

I find it easier to buy industry standard in bulk and just slice off a bit when I need it.

[URL=http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Just%20Stuff/Sundry/IndustryStandard_zps6c42caae.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Just%20Stuff/Sundry/IndustryStandard_zps6c42caae.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

The SM58s dominance is not just because it's hard to destroy (despite many trying), and it's ability to sit in a mx, the price is massively important and most "standards' depend on being affordable by the masses.
The Heils are nice, but with 4 singers in my wedding band, I won't be taking £1,000 worth of vocal mics alone out just so the "merry" guests can enjoy their enhanced ability to cut through a dense mix while providing warmth and presence. : ) And that's why you won't find PA hire companies carrying them either.
The Sennheiser E range seem to be the ones replacing the 58s as an affordable vocal mic.