Why become a member? ×

Best bass rig you ever had ?

jonnythenotes

Until a year ago, it was Stingray with single humbucker and three band active into Ampeg SVT CL, 4X10 and 1x15. I was nostalgic for my old Simms-Watts head, so I bought a similarly designed SoundcCity L120, and it was way punchier than the SVT. I also use a pair of Vox Foundation 18" cabs (one a copy) as I used to couple the Simms-Watts with a Peavey 1820 cab. This is for industrial / Gothic metal.

I purchased a new Ampeg SVT with the 8 10s cabs in 1972. I think it was one of the first incarnations of that amp.

Great amp, however, now I am not so sure tubes mean all that much in the bass world as opposed to guitars.Plus, I'm not hauling that 8 10 cab. I love my GK 1000rb with 1 15" and 2 10s".

Blue

Edited by blue

My current set up is the best I have had, US P into Ashdown ABM 500 and Barefaced super twin. I did play through an SVT and 810 (not mine) once a few years ago and the sound was immense, though. I would have one like a shot if I didn't have to pay for it and move it myself.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1422202003' post='2669789']
I love my current rig, sounds great, but if I was physically able to cart it about,

[/quote] As above but with...

Eden WT500, (bridged mode) Eden 4x10 (line out, into an) Eden 2x12CF 300 combo.

I was only playing rock at time but it was also great for some seriousl funk.

Edited by leschirons

Fender Bassman 135 with batching Bassman 2x15 cab, which I had to reinforce on all joints and baffles to back to get it sounding super tight and fartfree. With only a lead and a 1979 MusicMan Stingray Bass. I still have all, but the cab as I couldn't move it any longer.

An old SVT (it was old in 1984 when I bought it) and one of the box-shaped (no angles on the back) 810s, and I had a mid-70s Precision. 75, I think, but I wasn't as knowledgeable (or frankly that caring) about my gear as I am now. Just the simplest thing to EQ, and always sounded epic, IIRC. Didn't mind lugging the head, but even when I was 20 and a loose head prop that 810 was a pain in the arse.

Back in the 80s I played a Guild Pilot 4 string thru a Hartley Thompson bass preamp, powered by a HH V500 PA power amp. One channel of the power amp went into a Marshall Silver Jubilee 4x10 and the other channel powered a huge Yamaha 2x15 cab with JBL speakers. Sounded absolutely immense, but totally unpractical once I found myself in a band without any roadcrew! I couldn’t even lift the Yamaha cab on my own.

In recent years I have been using a Mesa Boogie mpulse amp thru a variety of cabs. Originally I had a couple of SWR Goliath 2 4x10s, which sounded great but the cabs were getting a little tired and were not too efficient; then a SWR Goliath 6x10 (brilliant but I got a new car and couldn’t fit it in the back; and now a Bergantino 4x10 (Jigster’s old cab), which is a great piece of kit. I’m generally been using either a Warwick Streamer Stage 1 or an active Jazz (currently an Xotic)…

My current rig is my fav. EBS TD650 into an EBS Neoline 210 and 212. Very flexible setup. The amp gives me any tone I want and the cab combination is powerful, articulate and above all...very light to carry. I have used EBS amps for several years and I can't see myself using anything else for several years to come. I also have an EBS Proline 410, but I rarely use it these days (I will probably look towards moving it on soon).

Other amps I have owned have been awesome. The Mark Bass LMIII was great, the EA iAmp 500 I had for a few years was very good for recording and before I bought my first EBS amp I used Hartke amps for a few years, which are great amps for the price.

My favourite rig was one that I used between 1977 and 1979. It was a Davoli (anybody remember those Italian amp builders?) 100 watt valve head and a battered old no name cab with a Fane 18" speaker. With the 1975 Precision I was using at the time, it gave an absolutely awesome sound - a very filthy, punky kinda noise that really suited the music we were doing at the time. It's funny how both the amp and cab were bought from junk shops for next to nothing (due to lack of funds at the time) and I ended up with such a great sound.

Unfortunately both the Davoli and The Fane died many years ago - still miss them both though!

Mart

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1422286373' post='2670682']
I haven't read through this thread but I'm assuming the previous 41 posts is everyone saying their current rig is the best they have ever heard?
[/quote]

I guess so (for now)...

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1422286373' post='2670682']
I haven't read through this thread but I'm assuming the previous 41 posts is everyone saying their current rig is the best they have ever heard?
[/quote]

Ooh, you cynic! :)

though in my case, the answer is yes; but I haven't used it for a few years now, as playing guitar these days and anyway I don't have the cab any more.

Camden Rob.....my current rig.... ( see first post of this thread on page 1 ) is a replacement for a disastrous attempt at creating my ' best rig ever'. Upto 3 months ago, I was using an Orange terror sp 2x12 combo with the sp 2x12 extension cab. Purchased new,the two cost me £1400....this was 2 years ago. I bought it mainly with portability in mind, and for a short time as I was in a rock covers band, it was sort of ok. The problem was it was all bottom to mids, with no top end at all....to coin a phrase, a 'one trick pony'. Entirely my fault as like a fool, I failed to consider the most important thing of the lot....will this do what I want it too... And it didn't, so I cut my losses and replaced it. So your statement ....' Best rig you ever had is the one you have now'.......a few months ago mine was one of the worst, as it was not fit for purpose. What I have now is the best, simply because with the knowledge I have now about gear that is out there currently, the budget I have had to work to, and the music I am involved with at present makes it suitable. However, If I joined a metal, country, rock, or thrash band in the foreseeable future, my rig would suddenly NOT be the best..

Very happy with the EBS gear, I must admit one of the best rigs I have ever used was 2 Roland bass (1 100 watt and 1 120xl watt) cubes ran in stereo via a yamaha rack compressor, one was handling all the bass the other set for all the treble, the sound of that was mighty, real fat and warm but plenty of highs when required, also rather light weight to, superb rig.