Why become a member? ×

Best bass rig you ever had ?

jonnythenotes

It's probably a very 80's cliche & my back twinges just remembering it all but my favourite rig was a Status 2000 5 string through a Trace GP12 pre into a RA500 power amp feeding 1048 & 1518 cabs.
The Racked up amp/flightcase weighed 6 stone & the cabs not-a-lot less but boy did I smile when I played it all.

Very happy with my MarkBass gear these days.

Edited by Bassman68

Most [b]fun[/b] would have to have been my Peavey Megabass, especially as I was doing mainly originals gigs at the time. In rehearsal studios or at multiband gigs I'd plug it into whatever was in the room as you could run 4 cabs quite easily, a couple of 4x10s and a 1x15?, no problem. I once gigged an old Marshall Superbass that was insanely screamy when cranked to gig volume and worked okay for the garagey-punk band I was in.

[b]Best[/b] amp is easily my Hartke 3500, my current amp. An absolute workhorse, always sounds good with any cab, nice drive sound from the pre-amp.

I owned what was by a mile the best bass amp I've ever heard at a time when I wasn't playing the best basses I've ever had.

Spector Euro LX5, ISP Beta Bass Preamp, ISP Vector Pro active cab.

If anyone gets the chance to try the ISP setup, you MUST do it.

My current and only (decent) amp I've ever owned Aguilar 500 with a 212. as soon as i heard it i loved it. it just sounds so good with a Lakland 55-02 and most basses I've owned.

This amp was actually run over 3 years ago by a car.literally ran all the way over it, it totally trashed the bag, (and yes it was just a bag) but the amp, bar a few scratches, has been working perfectly ever since. incredible.!!. i can part with basses, but i would never ever part with my Aguilar.

• 10 months later...

Ref the first post of this thread...... I still have the Epifani head and Wood and Tronics bass, but they have taken a back seat for a while, and been replaced by an Aguilar Tone Hammer 500, and a Spector Euro lx 4. I still have the cabs...don't think I will ever trade them in, but this new set up sounds even better than my previous ( and very recent) 'best bass rig ever' Have any of you guys who commented on this thread previously changed any or all of your kit, and for what.. Or if you are reading for the first time, what is, or was your best ever set up...

Well the best amp I've heard, was a gallien Krueger 15 combo with a USA Precision through it. It sounded really nice on it's own but also great with the band. The bass player who owned it has now gone lightweight. He plays through an Aguilar Tonehammer 500 and an SL112, which is nowhere near as fat sounding as his old rig.

I've owned some nice rigs but my present one is an Ashdown MiBass 550, paired with a Barefaced Compact. I think it's the best sound I've ever had (the first gig I played with it a bassist came up to me after the 3rd song and demanded to know what I was playing through, as he liked the sound so much (I noticed he didn't say anything about my playing?).

Vanderkley Aurora + 2x Vanderkley 410s. Running at 2 ohms, the sound is enormous and, because I don't need to raise the volume past 10 o'clock, the sound is beautifully balanced and tight. Played with my Dingwall Prima Artiste 5, it is a wonderful rig. I mainly play pub pop/rock/funk, etc.

My current one is the best by far. Genz-Benz Streamliner 900 through a Barefaced Big Twin II. Or through a Barefaced Super Midget for small gigs.

Sounds great either with Fender Jazz basses for rock and roll or MM Stingrays for funk rock.

Mmm...
Amp/ combo wise .. Even Stevens between Eden nemesis mc-250 combo
& Aguilar ag500sc/ db112.
Basses used ..Fender 1977 telecaster bass/ Washburn status ( passive ) Steinberger Xmas-3 and jack Daniels bass.
Zoom b21u was used very sparingly for 2 songs. Fantastic . Playing rock covers and silly singles .

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

My current rig is the best I've ever had. Articulate, clean, powerful and compact.

Before then, the GK RB700 combo was the first gigging amp I ever owned that left me feeling impressed...apart from the rubber wheel tread breaking and falling off and the weight.

All the rigs I`ve had I`ve liked, but none have been so suited to my needs as my current rig, Aguilar Tonehammer 500 and Barefaced Super12T (two of `em, for big gigs).

I`d have been able to do all I needed in past bands with this rig, but only this rig can do what I currently need without the use of pedals, which I`d have needed with all the others.

Add me to the list of current rig is the best users.

Although i wouldn't say my bass is the best (thats probably one of the Lakland Duck Dunn's ive had), the combination of P bass, MarkBass F1, VTBass Deluxe and Barefaced BB2 is way beyond any tone ive had in the past.
Its a shame my gigs are getting sparse, as i have more enthusiasm for playing now than i have had for the past 5 years, and that was regular gigging.

Edited by dave_bass5