Why become a member? ×

Best bass rig you ever had ?

jonnythenotes

What is the best combination of bass, head and speakers (or combo ) you have ever put together, or managed to buy straight off the peg. Also mention the type of music you play to give some sort of perspective to your rig. Don't include pedals or any other add ons that can change the sound of your gear..... Just the basic set up. My best to date, (and this is after 30 years of playing,) is a Wood and tronics EJ 4, Epifani PS600 head and 2 Ashdown ABM Neo 4x8 cabs. Total cost of this set up was £2700 (all pre owned items ) so not insanely expensive for what is a really modern sounding, and well balanced rig. I play a funky mix of music, so this works pretty well for me. So come on then, lets see what works for you, (and why,) and remember it's a combination of all 3 elements together, bass, amp and cab or cabs..

I love my current rig, sounds great, but if I was physically able to cart it about still, my Marshall DBS7400 and VBC412 cab was an immense rig.

Should go without saying that it was with a US Precision :)

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1422202003' post='2669789']
I love my current rig, sounds great, but if I was physically able to cart it about still, my Marshall DBS7400 and VBC412 cab was an immense rig.

Should go without saying that it was with a US Precision :)
[/quote]US Precision?? What you Lozz??

I like it just how I have it now (Fender Rumble 500 combo with an Aggie 112 stuck under it)
I did get the chance to use Lemmys stack at a rehearsal space in Hammersmith many years ago, that was pretty mega, think it was some Marshall 12's with a couple of Peavey blackwidow 15 cabs (not for me tho lol)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1422201641' post='2669784']
....I've always been hunting for my old Peavey TNT-150 black widow combo.....
[/quote]

For nearly 15 years I remembered my Dynacord combo as being the best amp I ever owned, until I played one a couple of years ago. It was very good but I think my Bergantino's are better.

I always move forwards with my gear. The next one has better than the last, or I wouldn't be buying it. I don't do 90 degree turns, so the latest rig is always the best I've owned.

Currently Mike Lull PJ 5 ~ Aguilar TH500 ~ Bergantino CN212. I also gig with Lakland, Thunderfunk, Berg AE112 and Barefaced BB2. All excellent pieces of equipment.

I've had a couple.
SM400 and Goliath cabs was very good but the bass was the weaker point
compared to now and my current match of Sei J5 with DB750 and DB212 and DB210
is the best. If it wasn't I wouldn't have it.

To have a really good rig and sound, each part needs to compliment the other.
You really can't have bits of kit that fight and this is the most common mistake
people make, IMO.

I think my current rig is the best I've ever had.

Yamaha BB424
Peavey Max 700
Peavey 410TVX

Although I do have fond memories of my Ampeg PF500 and SVT210.

Nice thread, got me thinking of all the old amps and stuff I had! I wish I still had my Peavey Firebass 700 actually :(

Truckstop

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1422207978' post='2669857']

For nearly 15 years I remembered my Dynacord combo as being the best amp I ever owned, until I played one a couple of years ago. It was very good but I think my Bergantino's are better.

I always move forwards with my gear. The next one has better than the last, or I wouldn't be buying it. I don't do 90 degree turns, so the latest rig is always the best I've owned.

Currently Mike Lull PJ 5 ~ Aguilar TH500 ~ Bergantino CN212. I also gig with Lakland, Thunderfunk, Berg AE112 and Barefaced BB2. All excellent pieces of equipment.
[/quote]
I suppose there probably is some rose tinted specs in use but it was only the volume and weight of the combo that made me swap it for my Ashdown rig, I was never fully in love with the Ashdown looking back.

My current rig is by far the best ive had

Roscoe Century Standard 5 string
Markbass sa450
Bergantino ae410

But I've got knee twitchingly heavy GAS for the new Bergantino map with built in dsp....

Oh and I play funky instrumental stuff with a fairly big band so the bass has to be reasonably prominent in the mix.

Edited by 51m0n

Think I've been the most happy with my current set up :)

'84 Tokai 'Hardpuncher' / '05 Fender 'Roadworn' 50's Precision > '91 Gallien Krueger 400RB II > Barefaced Compact

Edited by nick

For double bass [u]only[/u], the best rig I had was an Acoustic Image Ten2 (now owned by Rabbie of this parish).

My current rig is more versatile and works really well for double bass [u]and[/u] electric bass, being a Tecamp Puma 500 into a Crazy8 cab (for small gigs) or Wizzy M-line 12 (for larger gigs). I am very happy with this and can't see how it could be bettered for my needs. I play an early series Squier JV Jazz through this and its sounds deep and rich. Also sounds great (though not as good as Acoustic Image) with any of my upright basses (see my sig).

Edited by Clarky