Why become a member? ×

Bronze strings (for acoustic basses) on electric bass

shemeckfrac

Without reading up on these things, I've recently acquired [color=#323232][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]Rotosound (45-105) 44LD [/size][/font][/color]bronze strings. I did not buy them with an acoustic bass in mind, because I don't have any, but I assumed they'd just work for the electric bass, sound nice and bright and match nicely the natural wood body. However on the package and everywhere else it says they are for "acoustic basses", but it does not say anywhere that they are "not suitable for electric basses".
Does anyone tried bronze strings on an electric bass, if so what are the results. I don't want to open the package to experiment myself so advise is appreciated.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1422205489' post='2669827']
They'll work to some extent but the output will be lower than standard bass strings, as the core is still steel but the bronze wrap is non-magnetic. The string-to-string balance may be off too, but it's hard to say without trying them.
[/quote]

Many thanks for the explanation BotB.

I used some spare ones on an electric a few years ago, (passive HH Peavey) and they were just as loud as steels. I did it after watching the DVD of The Who in the Albert Hall! It was super-bright and super-growly, but they didn't last long - about 4-5 hours IIRC - and turned my fingers green. They looked stunning on an all-black bass, mind!