Why become a member? ×

How difficult would it be to make an Atlansia Solitaire clone?

Annoying Twit

If you've got the real thing in front of you, and some decent woodworking and metalworking skills, then it shouldn't be too difficult. It really depends on how accurate you want to be. Do you want to make a faithful reproduction compete with the truss rod, or just something that does the same function? The body/neck is essentially a 40mm square piece of maple 970mm long. The monorail bridge is easily obtained, but pretty much all the rest of the bass is custom parts.

Edited by BigRedX

Thanks for the feedback.

If I did it, I'd want to make something 'inspired by' the solitaire, not an exact copy. Single string fretless, but perhaps no more similarity than that. In hindsight, I shouldn't have used the word 'clone' in my subject line. The phrase 'something like this' in my OP is closer to my intention.

if this ever does happen, it won't be until after I get around to doing a kit build and finish. But, I like to think far ahead.

Edited by Annoying Twit

Depending on how elegant (or not) you want your single string fretless to be, will depend on how easy it is to make one. The Atlansia looks deceptively easy to make, but it's had a good deal of innovative thinking in the design to make it work. It would be fairly straight forward to bodge one with off-the-shelf parts and it will probably be perfectly functional, but it won't have the same graceful simplicity of the Atlansia.

Good luck, if you do decide to have a go and if you want some more detail of how Atlansia have solved some of the design issues get in touch and I'll do my best to answer them. Bear in mind that my Solitaire is up for sale and I won't have it forever...

Strangely, I spotted this a few minutes ago on eBay before reading this thread.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Atlansia-Solitaire-Single-String-Fretless-Bass-Guitar-With-Gigbag-/191497053779?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2c961d2653