Why become a member? ×

Alternate picking for beginners and how to build speed + muting strings

Aguycalledphil

Hi,

I've recently started playing bass with a pick as I want to play rock and punk songs.
I've found many of these songs are fast with eighth and sixteenth notes.
It seems that alternate picking is the only way to build up sufficient speed.

Now if I start with a floating hand technique in a fist shape with a pick is this likely to be better or just different
to an open handed technique - resting ring and pinky below the pick up.
Also if my hand is not on the strings, then is this going to be problematic in the future as I can't mute the strings with my right hand

Can anyone explain how they overcame this problem or direct me to a youtube videos or suitable book?

Thanks

You build speed by practising more slowly. Seriously. It's the best and most efficient way to learn to play fast - by [i]not[/i] playing fast. Accuracy is the key, pay careful attention to even timing and clean sounding notes. The speed-up "just happens" without you necessarily doing anything to chase after it.

[quote name='Michael J' timestamp='1422230670' post='2670232']
You build speed by practising more slowly. Seriously. It's the best and most efficient way to learn to play fast - by [i]not[/i] playing fast. Accuracy is the key, pay careful attention to even timing and clean sounding notes. The speed-up "just happens" without you necessarily doing anything to chase after it.
[/quote] Good advice I would also add try a few different gauge picks and see which you like the most it is amazing how much difference a pick can make IMHO

Agree with last two posts. Technique must be the first thing you tackle. Speed happens naturally after a while. This is why so many people get frustrated when learning new techniques. They try to run before walking. Make sure everything is clean and clear and you will gradually speed up. A metronome might sound ridiculous, but is an essential tool when working on smooth technique.