Why become a member? ×

Jam/Open Mic nights

JamesBass

Started to get in to going to these things and have had a real mixed bag, just got in from one in Fareham in Portsmouth, that was pretty good but, there was NOTHING other than your singer-songwriter type who can strum a few chords, great to listen to and get pissed but not so great if you wanna get involved and play!

Maybe we should have a pinned group listing Jam nights? I know I'd travel for a really good night and I'm sure others would too!

[quote name='Freddy Le Cragg' timestamp='1422232056' post='2670241']
I do one in Banbury once a month. We have a featured guest for half hour, a few open mic slots then jam to when ever we get to pissed/tired to play anymore. Last one went on till 2am!
[/quote]
Well that's certainly a different format to the one I was at tonight! The one tonight was a structured affair whereby it was more of a quick showcase gig/open mic night. Though I offered my services round only 1 person asked me to play and that was on a VERY re-arranged cover of Sultans of Swing!

I am not a fan of the [i]"open mic[/i]" and we have a lot of them over here. Usually if your not a friend of the host you don't play. Plus over here they seem to attract a disproportionate amount of newbies. Usually they are geared towards blues harp players or lead guitarist only.

Back in the early 70s we had jam sessions. These were usually held in someones home and we would play into the early hours and everyone would get to play. Also some of the hottest players in town would show up for these jams. IMHO, these jam session were a completely different animal than today's [i]"open mic".[/i]

Blue

Edited by blue

When I was with one of my first bands, we rented out a warehouse space in a business section for rehearsal. We could play as loudly as we wanted and nobody heard us because all the businesses there would have closed for the day. As you might guess, it quickly became a local hangout for fellow musicians and, of course, many of the local sweeties who wanted to be around the music and around the guys making it. Many hours of my life were spent playing with the different musicians who would happen by from night to night after the band had finished its rehearsal. Damn, do I detect just a wee bit of nostalgia in this post?? lol

My band's playing at an open night on Thursday near Nottingham. We played there in November and it was our first live performance. There were two other bands there and one of them had a bass player more technical than me. His singer played harp on one song which sounded like someone s****ing an accordion. He played first and when we played he never even looked up until the end, where he gave a polite clap. The other band was comprised of two guitar teachers and a drum teacher. They bored me rigid actually.

Open Mics are a bit Marmite (you either love em or hate em Blue) I love the idea of musicians getting together just to play music and everyone doing a 'turn', but i'm just an old hippie really. If I'm on holiday in the UK I'll look out for them as an excuse to have a fun evening in the pub chatting with local musicians. We even got invited to appear on the local radio station last year after playing at a pub in Penzance :)

The music standard is so variable, but I love that. I really enjoy watching people progress from their first song in public through to an accomplished set a couple of years later and my experience is that musicians are a pretty supportive bunch.

Round here in the Dorset/Somerset area a number of open mics are run under the banner of Howl Open Mics. Pretty much acoustic and I was about the first to take a bass along I think. A lot more since then though. We used it to get a set together, learn three songs at rehearsal then down to the pub to try them out on an audience. Elijah the host is pretty fair in trying to get everyone who wants up on stage, there's a bunch of regulars who he'll manage to fill the gaps and/or lift the show but there's priority to get new people on and lots of support for nervous performers. Good musicians will often accompany others but it's generally more about people doing their songs than a jam session.

We got gigs out of it and I played a couple more with a band formed from people I met at the open mics. I get along to fewer now because of band rehearsals and gigs but it's great to get started or to get back into music after a break and I miss the camaraderie a bit.

Open mics vary from a house band doing their practice in public with a couple of mates singing a song or two through an open jam session to a series of acoustic guitarist/singers doing corny covers. You just have to go along and take pot luck but I'm a fan, and any chance to play, well I'm still keen.

And then of course there's the alternative route.

If you don't like the jams near you, or there simply aren't any, there's absolutely nothing stopping you from setting up your own and running it as you see fit.

All you need is a suitable pub with a slack weekday night that they're looking to juice up, plus a few friends to get you started.

I like the type of jam night where there is a house band whos bass player will gladly let you sit in for a few songs if you show an interest e.g. The Black Swan, York (jazz)
I've turned up to some 'jam' nights, but unless you are one of their mates, or your entire band have pre-booked a mini slot, you don't have a chance e.g. The Volo, Nottingham (blues/Rock)

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1422260832' post='2670304']
And then of course there's the alternative route.

If you don't like the jams near you, or there simply aren't any, there's absolutely nothing stopping you from setting up your own and running it as you see fit.

All you need is a suitable pub with a slack weekday night that they're looking to juice up, plus a few friends to get you started.
[/quote]
This is something I have in mind for a few years down the line, being a young lad (21) I'd rather not being the one organising the nights just yet, instead I wanna try and work my way round the area (Portsmouth, Southampton, Bournemouth, Brighton, etc.) then head to ones in London etc.

You have to look at who is running them... as can de-generate
into12 bars all night and a great jolly for the gtrs but not much
for the rest of the guys.
Basically, unless you have piano up you might get a little bored being
anything other than a gtr..??

[quote name='25 quid' timestamp='1422250055' post='2670264']
My band's playing at an open night on Thursday near Nottingham.[/quote]

Doghouse in Carlton by any chance? I sometimes pop in to this. Not been for a while so might drop in this Thurs if you're playing.

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1422231981' post='2670239']
Started to get in to going to these things and have had a real mixed bag, just got in from one in Fareham in Portsmouth, that was pretty good but, there was NOTHING other than your singer-songwriter type who can strum a few chords, great to listen to and get pissed but not so great if you wanna get involved and play!

Maybe we should have a pinned group listing Jam nights? I know I'd travel for a really good night and I'm sure others would too!
[/quote]

I'd class "open mic" & "Jam" nights as two very different things.

An Open Mic night to me is very much an acoustic-y singer/songwriter type of thing, and I wouldn't expect to see a bass player at one, certainly not just getting up & "jamming" anyway.

Jam nights, on the other hand, tend to be more electric/band oriented. Unfortunately they also tend to be heavily skewed towards blues players, but I guess that makes sense as it doesn't take much planning for a bunch of people who have never played together before to bumble through a 12 bar.

Both tend to be very cliquey, and unless you're on the organisers buddy list you're not likely to get to play.

Here's my sixpenn'orth.....I go to 2 regular Jam/Open mics because I know I am (usually) the only bass who comes along. That means I get to play most of the night and the guy who runs them both is a Jazzer. He'll usually start with the house band doing a few numbers that he calls, (I may get given a chord chart) then others will get up. My heart usually sinks when it is an earnest singer-songwriter who does their own material, but that is not often the case!
I've gone along to some established ones where I have offered my services on Bass and they could not believe I'd be able to play along without even knowing the song. I'd be lucky to play for 3 songs!
So from a purely selfish POV I have learned a load from my Jazzer guitarist friend ( he actually play Bass too, electric and Upright and is a f/t musician) and look forward to our weekly Jam. Needless to say, trying to get him to play stuff I suggest is a lot harder than his choices, he has them all on irealpro in preferred keys on his phone. We have Keyboards who comes along too: trying to do the Northern Soul version of Happy at the moment!

I used to go a Soul Jam in Glasto this time last year but found it cliquey and only got to play for about 15 mins . so stopped going. If I'm going to drive a round trip of nearly 2 hours I like to play for longer. Afraid I'm not a very good listener when the standard is poor and/or I'm not playing! Equally if another Bass comes to the ones I play at, I'm happy to stand down and let them play...for at least 3 numbers!!

I am a fan of them, but only selfishly...

I find the best thing to do when you join or form a new band is to get to an open mic. Really tests the metal of people and weeds out the bedroom players & "let’s get things perfect by rehearsing for 3 years" bands.

I also use them to try new songs and see how they sound in a live environment outside of the studio.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1422260599' post='2670302']
Open Mics are a bit Marmite (you either love em or hate em Blue) I love the idea of musicians getting together just to play music and everyone doing a 'turn', but i'm just an old hippie really. If I'm on holiday in the UK I'll look out for them as an excuse to have a fun evening in the pub chatting with local musicians. We even got invited to appear on the local radio station last year after playing at a pub in Penzance :)

The music standard is so variable, but I love that. I really enjoy watching people progress from their first song in public through to an accomplished set a couple of years later and my experience is that musicians are a pretty supportive bunch.

Round here in the Dorset/Somerset area a number of open mics are run under the banner of Howl Open Mics. Pretty much acoustic and I was about the first to take a bass along I think. A lot more since then though. We used it to get a set together, learn three songs at rehearsal then down to the pub to try them out on an audience. Elijah the host is pretty fair in trying to get everyone who wants up on stage, there's a bunch of regulars who he'll manage to fill the gaps and/or lift the show but there's priority to get new people on and lots of support for nervous performers. Good musicians will often accompany others but it's generally more about people doing their songs than a jam session.

We got gigs out of it and I played a couple more with a band formed from people I met at the open mics. I get along to fewer now because of band rehearsals and gigs but it's great to get started or to get back into music after a break and I miss the camaraderie a bit.

Open mics vary from a house band doing their practice in public with a couple of mates singing a song or two through an open jam session to a series of acoustic guitarist/singers doing corny covers. You just have to go along and take pot luck but I'm a fan, and any chance to play, well I'm still keen.
[/quote]

Yay! Went to one of these a couple of years back whilst on holiday in Axminster. I took along an acoustic and got a 3-song slot plus a part inthe grand finale. Great fun. That was at the Ax Inn I think, and the next night they had an excellent acoustic duo (West & Black) performing - to get a decent seat you just booked a meal.

We seem to have plenty of Jam nights around me - Aldershot, Ash, Basingstoke, Farnborough, Camberley, Guildford, etc. Almost every night of the week and that's on top of the Open Mic singer/songwriter nights.

There is a house band who provide the backline, PA and drum kit, sometimes keyboards as well. All you need is your instrument or sticks. House band open up with 3 or 4 numbers. If you are new then you need to make yourself known to the leader of the house band who picks groups of musicians to play together. The group decides who is singing, quite often one of the guitarists, and agree three songs. If one or more doesn't know a specific song the chord structure will be shown/told and off you go. If you attend regularly then you get to know some of the popular songs, and no they are not all 12-bars. Depending how many bass players turn up will determine how often you get up. Sometimes bands will turn up and blast through 3 numbers just for the practice and to try and impress the Publican and try and get a gig there.

Our local Jams are well supported by the local gigging community so the musicians are almost all of a very good standard so we've had some great nights. It's also a great way to network and get yourself known.

I've been going to Jams on and off for about 20 years and as well as a regular punter I've done my share of house band duties and let others use my rig. If you don't mind it's a great way to hear what it sounds like from out front. Maybe I'm mad but I like being put out of my comfort zone and having to think and play on my feet. It's also very good for ear training. Quite often if I've played something that I'd not heard before so I'll go and find it and have a listen so that if it comes up again then I'm slightly better prepared. Long may they continue.

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1422274749' post='2670479']
We seem to have plenty of Jam nights around me - Aldershot, Ash, Basingstoke, Farnborough, Camberley, Guildford, etc. Almost every night of the week and that's on top of the Open Mic singer/songwriter nights.

There is a house band who provide the backline, PA and drum kit, sometimes keyboards as well. All you need is your instrument or sticks. House band open up with 3 or 4 numbers. If you are new then you need to make yourself known to the leader of the house band who picks groups of musicians to play together. The group decides who is singing, quite often one of the guitarists, and agree three songs. If one or more doesn't know a specific song the chord structure will be shown/told and off you go. If you attend regularly then you get to know some of the popular songs, and no they are not all 12-bars. Depending how many bass players turn up will determine how often you get up. Sometimes bands will turn up and blast through 3 numbers just for the practice and to try and impress the Publican and try and get a gig there.

Our local Jams are well supported by the local gigging community so the musicians are almost all of a very good standard so we've had some great nights. It's also a great way to network and get yourself known.

I've been going to Jams on and off for about 20 years and as well as a regular punter I've done my share of house band duties and let others use my rig. If you don't mind it's a great way to hear what it sounds like from out front. Maybe I'm mad but I like being put out of my comfort zone and having to think and play on my feet. It's also very good for ear training. Quite often if I've played something that I'd not heard before so I'll go and find it and have a listen so that if it comes up again then I'm slightly better prepared. Long may they continue.
[/quote]
Cheers for the heads up, Guildford is no more than 40 minutes away from me so will venture up that way sometime soon, will likely drop you a PM if you don't mind recommending some of the better nights?

I do agree going outside of your comfort zone is a great rush and a very good way to make you work harder and be better as a bass player! Was hoping to do that last night but alas most at the night were at a low standard where they were just about confident to perform on their own, having someone play with them who didn't know the songs/arrangements might have been a bit too scary for the beginners, while the more experienced players were showcasing for the landlord and their mates!

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1422260599' post='2670302']
[/quote]

I have been following HOWL on Facebook and did spot some photos with a bass player in (might well be you?). The only Open Mic night I have been to, is the one in Dorchester at Tom Browns - which I went to to see what the format was before taking an instrument. There was one group with an acoustic bass (DI'ed) but the rest were as you say, acoustic soloists and duets.

At the local Open Mic we do, the house band consists of two, occasionally three, guitarists and a bass player who also sings. They provide the backline and PA, while either our drummer or another guy provides the kit - whoever's kit it is acts as house drummer for the night.

The house band usually knock out three or four tunes, then we get up and do four or five. Once we've ruined everyone's evening, there's usually a local singer-songwriter who does his stuff supported by the house band plus our guitarist, and then a chap in his eighties who does half a dozen jazz / "rat pack" standards with the house band. It then becomes more of a free-for-all with folks calling out tunes and seeing how they go or just jamming around. So far I've always sat out this bit, but my ambition for this year is to join in and see how I get on... :ph34r:

We do get a few folks turn up to listen rather than participate, and have also had a few other musicians join in on a couple of occasions, but usually it's just the same faces each week. That said, whilst my bandmates have been in umpteen gigging and recording bands over last few decades, this is the first time I've ever played live / in a band so am finding it good experience.

I have only been to one (as a punter to see what was involved before I started bass and that was a well ordered affair. When you arrived they took details of what you played and then mixed you in during the night. Seemed a good idea. I am not sure how the music was decided upon or who decided, perhaps the singer when they registered? There did not seem to be a house band although some musicians played for several tunes so perhaps there was?

The last one I did was in a popular Glasgow pub. Mostly blues stuff, sending you to sleep. Then we came on, an ac/dc tribute act. Gave them Bad boy boogie and Whole lotta rosie!!

It woke the crowd up and we were asked to do more but the man running it said no :(

Not been to one since. They seem a bit cliquey to me.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1422239585' post='2670254']
I am not a fan of the [i]"open mic[/i]" and we have a lot of them over here. Usually if your not a friend of the host you don't play. Plus over here they seem to attract a disproportionate amount of newbies. Usually they are geared towards blues harp players or lead guitarist only.
[/quote]

Nothing like the ones over here, then, where a certain amount of juggling and time reduction occurs if there wouldn't be enough time to fit everyone on otherwise. And the host is often the one who plays least.

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1422309448' post='2671113']
The last one I did was in a popular Glasgow pub. Mostly blues stuff, sending you to sleep. Then we came on, an ac/dc tribute act. Gave them Bad boy boogie and Whole lotta rosie!!

It woke the crowd up and we were asked to do more but the man running it said no :(

Not been to one since. They seem a bit cliquey to me.
[/quote]

Yeah I went to one like that. Couple of the guys saw me as more a rock player so put us together and we did a Cream number, Crossroads IIRC and Wishing Well. Got a good response from the assembled masses but when I mentioned to the organiser how much I'd enjoyed it he muttered under his breath "it was a bit loud" and promptly led the next group into a ten minute plus version of Hey Joe!!! It just got boring for me in the end. As long as there are no musical snobs there it can be a good experience especially for a learner. Just watching and listening can help your basic chops and sometimes someone will take you under their wing and help you along.

Edited by barneyg42

They're prevalent up here - mostly acoustic nights, although there's a couple of jam nights around too.

I occasionally go to an acoustic night with my ol' Pa 'cos he likes to sing Johhny Cash tunes... and as the only bass player I often spend most of the night up there. It keeps me on my toes.

The downside is, they're throttling the live band scene.