Why become a member? ×

Jam/Open Mic nights

JamesBass

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1422309448' post='2671113']
They seem a bit cliquey to me.
[/quote]

Unfortunately, this is often the case. To a large extent, it goes with the territory.

Many of these sessions keep going on the basis of a core group of regulars, who can be relied upon to turn up every week. If you're not part of that core group, and don't show much signs of wanting to be part of it, then inevitably you'll stay on the fringes and have restricted opportunities to play.

If the core group is itself large enough, then cliques will tend to form within it. A & B like playing with C but can't stand D. D is prepared to play with E but last time he played with F something bad happened, etc.

The one I've been to a few times, mirrors obbm's. Well run by a very respected local blues guy
and he kicks the evening off with a few numbers with the house band. It is on a monday night
and gets a far few punters in as well as a decent turn-over of players or a varying standard.
Sometimes a band will gate crash and use it to 'introduce' themselves to the LL but they'll
only get 3 numbers.
I wouldn't say this evening encroaches on the live scene as it is a monday and it is also
a network exercise but the pubs who put on audtion night are more guilty in that regard.
I have less of a problem with thoses as they serve both ends, band and LL, and the better
ones will throw some cash at the try-out band if they get people in.
That, basically, is what it is all about anyway. It just depends how people go about it and
perceive it as to whether anyone is taking the pee...

Oh..the house band is always paid by the LL..and not from tips...so a full time musician might
like the idea of 'earning' on a tough to gig night.

There are a lot of similar tales from around the country.

I think that music is music, defined by feel, harmony, structure, time signatures and is numeric in nature.

Jamming often lacks enegy, focus and accuracy; because of this jamming music to an audience in my view, sucks.

<edit for clarity>

Edited by No lust in Jazz

I host a couple, having taken over both from the previous hosts for reasons mentioned. One would play half the night, and only let his mates play the other half. The other would play half the night, then get drunk and play over people.
I run them slightly differently from each other as the pubs and landlords are different, but the thing that is the same is that everyone gets a go, irrespective of skill or how often they come. In fact I'll prioritise a new face over a regular and expect the regulars to understand that we need to encourage new blood. I may start a night off, but if there's people waiting to play then I dont, it's not the Gaf show!
I always take a bass and am happy to accompany anyone who needs bass, or to find them a more suited player/guitarist/drummer etc.
lately the landlords have started to advertise them as an opportunity to audition for the payi g gigs they do, which so far has worked out pretty well for all concerned. Every player gets a free drink and the nights are truly friendly and supportive with a fabulous atmosphere, Ive worked hard to build up a good vibe and feel very proud to be in a position where I'm deemed good enough to host them.

Yep... the guys who runs it tries to get each stand-in doing 3 numbers at least.
It all seems pretty fair which is why I'll go back and invite more people I know as well.

I tend to use it to check out a few people I'll be in playing situations with... and get a feel for what they do.

I went to one a few years back at a pub in Kingswood (A41 between Bicester and Aylesbury). There were some great players there and it had a really nice welcoming vibe and the resident bass player (pretty sure he runs a music shop in Hemel Hempstead or something) was very complimentary and more than happy to let others play.

We used to host an open mic night. It was more like an open band night as we'd provide whatever backing was needed. It was enjoyable for the wide variety of stuff we got to busk but was harder work than a normal gig (and less money!). Eventually the landlord sold up and it was discontinued. We had a few laughs doing it though