Why become a member? ×

NBD - Epiphone Jack Casady

FinnDave

Just been over to Bristol and returned with GazWills now ex Jack Casady bass. Very nice bass in first class condition, tried it through my own amp and it sounds terrific. Needs a few tweaks to get suit my playing style and I can see me using this one a lot this year.

Got me curious, so I stuck my mobile phone in the f-hole and took a few pics.

This is the block which the bridge is attached to. As you can see although there is not a centre block there are raised sections where a block would be.

Underside of the pickup. The silver thing is presumably the inductor. Mine's at a jaunty angle because it appears to be only secured with one screw despite there being two lugs. Oh well.

Same pic, but focus thrown across to the wiring loom at the other side.

I couldn't angle the phone but saw it myself, there is a block around the neck heel, as one might expect. Hollow apart from that though.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1422290413' post='2670743']
Welcome to the club. Watch out for feedback if you stray too close to your backline or your monitors...
[/quote]

Controlled (nay; mastered...) feedback was an integral part of the 'Airplane' bass sound, and is one of the reasons I play hollow or semi-hollow guitars and basses. The Casady Signature is on my 'bucket list' (although time is running out..! :blush: ). One of these days, I'll take the plunge. Jealous, me..? Nah... :rolleyes:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1422313809' post='2671189']
Controlled (nay; mastered...) feedback was an integral part of the 'Airplane' bass sound, and is one of the reasons I play hollow or semi-hollow guitars and basses. The Casady Signature is on my 'bucket list' (although time is running out..! :blush: ). One of these days, I'll take the plunge. Jealous, me..? Nah... :rolleyes:
[/quote]

It wasn't wanted or welcome when I encountered it ;) Thankfully it's quite a slow building feedback so it's easy to spot before it goes mental.

Sorted out the intonation, neck relief and nut slots this morning, feels quite a bit better to play now. I am very taken with the fairly thick neck, less likely to give me fretting hand cramp than the Precision (and much better than the slender twig used as a neck on the Jazz).

Slight neck dive on a strap, but not enough to be a problem, the tendency for it to tip forwards (due to the strap button being on the back of the neck pocket) will take longer to get used to. I don't own a strap long enough for this one, so I'll have to do some more shopping soon. It definitely feels better a good bit lower than my Fenders.

I've got a case on order; meanwhile, it fits snuggly in the box my jazz bass case was delivered in! Taking it out for a test run with the band tonight.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1422392035' post='2672175']
There sits a happy man.
[/quote]

But not as happy as he is tonight! Just back from a packed open mic/jam night where we played several songs as a band to get the evening underway. I took the JCB and was very surprised by the level of attention it received, and secondly how powerful and rocky it sounded. We played again at the end and the general sound level had increased so I switched to the 500 setting and wound the tone control back, amazingly powerful and clear, it really snarls.

Definitely a keeper.

Edited by FinnDave

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1422405722' post='2672389']
But not as happy as he is tonight! Just back from a packed open mic/jam night where we played several songs as a band to get the evening underway. I took the JCB and was very surprised by the level of attention it received, and secondly how powerful and rocky it sounded. We played again at the end and the general sound level had increased so I switched to the 500 setting and wound the tone control back, amazingly powerful and clear, it really snarls.

Definitely a keeper.
[/quote]

Shut up; you're not helping me..! :rolleyes:

Seriously though, well done, and thanks for your impressions. ([i]Now then, where's my piggy bank..? Here, piggy piggy[/i]... :ph34r: )

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1422406053' post='2672391']

Seriously though, well done, and thanks for your impressions. ([i]Now then, where's my piggy bank..? Here, piggy piggy[/i]... :ph34r: )
[/quote]

I'm sorry, I'm just a bass player. I'm afraid I don't do impressions ;)

Thanks for your imp...err report Dave, I was considering a JCB but I won't buy one now. I've been told they are great sounding but the neck dive however slight would make my already weak arms worse and having to stop it tipping forward as well would be too much for me. :( It's a shame Epiphone couldn't strengthen the upper bout to take a strap pin.

Oh well, Fender it stays then. :(

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1422426884' post='2672423']
Thanks for your imp...err report Dave, I was considering a JCB but I won't buy one now...
[/quote]

:lol: It took a few long seconds before the penny dropped; this, to me, is my first thought upon seeing 'JCB'..! :lol:

[attachment=182282:JCB.jpg]