Why become a member? ×

The Official MARUSZCZYK CLUB!

Ulas Engin

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1464804257' post='3062776']

See, that's kind of my problem, I don't rate the CS build.
[/quote]They are more handmade than the standards, as I understand, which is why is used them as a comparison. I've only played one CS, a Reggie Hamilton; I quite liked it as I remember.

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1464807824' post='3062821']
Never played a CS. Why didn't you like them?
[/quote]

The bass I have is basically a moderm American deluxe with better wood, possibly.
The hardware is pretty standard..and all that put together is hardly a £1400 upgrade.
Thankfully I didn't pay anything like the new price and I wouldn't say I don't like the bass
--- otherwise I'd sell, but the build is not as exceptional as its price. IMO.

I have far far better made basses.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1464808985' post='3062834']
I'm not entirely sure the 'standard' CS pedigree means much these days. They're mostly off-the-shelf.

My Maruszczyks are built to a target spec & weight, have necks profiled to my preference, the exact hardware I want.
[/quote]

Which is why I love mine. Can spec the neck and the weight. Perfect for my back.

I have not played any Master-built or Custom Shop Fenders but I have played a couple USA Fenders (Jazz and Precision) which are high-quality Fenders.

For me, the Maruszczyks (I've only played the Elwoods) are a notch above as they have the same, if not better, level of quality, with added customization options (in terms of the woods, pickups, preamps, colour combinations, etc.) which you would only get with a custom build but at a much lower price-point.

I believe, in terms of a Jazz-style bass, I might have found, with the Elwood, the perfect combination of design, build quality, tone, and playability for me (especially the Absolution specification).

The proof of my conviction is that I almost always try to shop second-hand to reduce cost but with the Elwood, I decided to order new directly from their website - not one but two together! (in addition to two second-hand ones :D )

More power to Adrian and his team. I wish them all the best to continue their great work.

I think it's safe to say that even with the current noticed price hike for custom builds, Adrian's instruments are still really good value for money. I'm certainly thinking of another build (the wife is sitting opposite me as I type this, I hope she can't read upside down).

EDIT: oops, busted!

Edited by ezbass

Going to have to order it when I finish for the term. :(

Got a few things to repair before I can commit to a build sadly. One of which being my mac screen after it was dropped, but still. Nearly there with funds though. So optimistic I can get this done!

In terms of a reverse headstock that's matching do you guys think that Dark Red or gold would be better suited to it? Been having this debate with myself for a while, was wondering what you guys thought.

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1464858766' post='3063151']
Is it insane that I want to get a sonic blue maple necked Elwood-L with banjo frets and a whammy bar.

Yes... A whammy bar.
[/quote]

Yes. Yes, it is.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1464867244' post='3063263']
I think it's safe to say that even with the current noticed price hike for custom builds, Adrian's instruments are still really good value for money. I'm certainly thinking of another build (the wife is sitting opposite me as I type this, I hope she can't read upside down).

EDIT: oops, busted!
[/quote]

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I just spoke with one of my best mates today, who works as a guitar tech, and has been for the last 13 or 14 years. He said he had set up a bass recently that blew him away, excellent build quality. It was a Jake.

These basses are new to me, but at about £750 I'm tempted, he has some nice stuff in stock too!!

I've been a huge fan of Maruszczyk since I first tried one out about 4-5 years ago.

My main bass is a slightly customized Hellwood, with a 3 layer black/white/black pickguard and 2 bassline soapbars being the customisations.

This friday I reciev my new bass, an absolutely stunning Elwood. And I couldn't help but making a short video with it:
[media]http://youtu.be/G4K4vsSTU88[/media]

In short, I've tried lots of different basses over the years but the Maruszczyk Elwood basses has that special something that really makes me tick.
I can't specify exactly WHAT that is, I only know I love them. So much that I've sold my other basses like Spectors, Warwicks and Fenders to settle
down with my two Marus. I might fet another in the future, a five-string. But other than that - I'm good. :)

Edited by Hellish

Can anybody here who owns, or has played, a stock Jake, just the basic Precision model without the additional pickups, compare it to a US Fender P?

In particular, I'm interested in sonic comparisons, and how the standard neck profile compares to the 1.625 modern C on the Fender? I know you can customise these basses, but I've got my eye on something they have in stock!!

thanks!

[quote name='GazWills' timestamp='1466535156' post='3076630']
Can anybody here who owns, or has played, a stock Jake, just the basic Precision model without the additional pickups, compare it to a US Fender P?

In particular, I'm interested in sonic comparisons, and how the standard neck profile compares to the 1.625 modern C on the Fender? I know you can customise these basses, but I've got my eye on something they have in stock!!

thanks!
[/quote]

The neck is C shaped but feels narrow in comparison, like the modern BB range. The body feels smaller too. Sonically it's going to depend what pickup is in it.

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1464858766' post='3063151']
Is it insane that I want to get a sonic blue maple necked Elwood-L with banjo frets and a whammy bar.

Yes... A whammy bar.
[/quote]

This guy's awesome!

Edited by Mattpt85