Why become a member? ×

The Official MARUSZCZYK CLUB!

Ulas Engin

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1433514004' post='2791755']
I'm going to write it down and ask my eldest's schoolmate's Dad, he's Polish :)

Back to the bass. I think WoT's new bass looks WAAAAY better than the Lakland and I really like the Lakland.
[/quote]

I'm Polish too ;) ma-roosh-chick is as close as it gets, of course our Y is more open and we've got those sexy continental hard Rs.

such - this is pretty accurate, however, after years of showing anglophones 'phonetic spellings' of various polish words, to get the first syllable right, I suggest: mah - roosh - chick (the added h means anglophones actually do pronounce those syllables ;) )

and by the way, I really want one now too!!

it always puts the smile on my face when foreigners are trying to pronounce difficult polish words. Reminds me of the old war film where the main character fighting germans was called Brzeczyszczykiewicz :). Maruszczyk is not that far off the difficulty level

Edited by shemeckfrac

Now this got me wondering; despite all the praises about workmanship, sound and value Spyder ended up selling his Jake 5, Elmwood 4 pair and Meypelnek his custom PJ5 shortly after receiving it. Is it possible that there is no long lasting love to these basses but only the GAS lust ?

It's really these people's business but from the potential buyer point of view I'm dying to know why :)

I don't know, I've only ever tried the basses that Adrian and Sławek brought to LBGS 2014 and 2015, and well, they felt, sounded and looked absolutely gorgeous. I'm vaguely planning to order one once I've come up with a more exact idea of what I want (and with the funds too).

Early in my playing career I also owned a custom (if basic) bass made by the same luthiers and workshop in Nowy Targ under a different brand. It was a rather modern - although passive - instrument with 24 frets, J/twin-J setup, beautiful flamed/quartersawn maple neck and pau ferro fretboard. The hardware and pickups were a bit uninspiring, but I wanted to keep the cost down, so went with no-names while ordering. The wood and built quality were absolutely stunning though. Sad story, the headstock all but snapped off after a bad fall, and being an uninformed young fella, I sold the body and hardware/pickups instead of getting the neck repaired.
Also, quite a few more pro friends used Mensfeld (the brand at that time) basses back then, usually higher and more expensive models, and they were nothing short of spectacular. Mind you, the company also sold very cheap, all-black entry-level metal guitars and basses that were selling by hundreds and influence the way many people remember the brand.

I wouldn't (and won't) hesitate to have another one built by those guys, but this time I'll make sure to specify the hardware and electronics to my exact taste so there's absolutely nothing I don't care for about the bass.

[quote name='shemeckfrac' timestamp='1434207292' post='2797634'] Now this got me wondering; despite all the praises about workmanship, sound and value Spyder ended up selling his Jake 5, Elmwood 4 pair and Meypelnek his custom PJ5 shortly after receiving it. Is it possible that there is no long lasting love to these basses but only the GAS lust ? It's really these people's business but from the potential buyer point of view I'm dying to know why :) [/quote]

I don't know... My Jake is as accurate to what I asked for as possible. I don't *love* everything about it, but what I don't love about it I only have myself to blame for.
For instance, the neck is wider and a bit deeper than a "stock" Jake, closer to my Precision Classic 50, as I indicated. He nailed it. The neck is amazing. The string spacing at the nut is a *tiny* bit smaller than I would prefer... I did not indicate this measurement. Easy to change, 'though, especially as these basses have a zero fret so the exact nut slot heights are not crucial. Also, the P pickup is a bit darker and scooped... I went for their stock pickups rather than specifying my favourite one... Just my fault. Again, easy to rectify.
Mine cost just about what a Fender Precision Classic 50 costs... but I was able to specify many parameters (a lot of them at no extra cost). For another couple hundred you could add a few extra things that would rival basses costing twice as much...
They'll do just about anything you ask. The build quality is superb. I strongly suspect my next bass will be another Maruszczyc.

[quote name='such' timestamp='1434208533' post='2797650']
I wouldn't (and won't) hesitate to have another one built by those guys, but this time I'll make sure to specify the hardware and electronics to my exact taste so there's absolutely nothing I don't care for about the bass.
[/quote]

exactly my feeling! :)

Such and Mcnach --
I appreciate sharing your honest thoughts and details that I would've otherwise never think of. The common line seems to be "if you want something Adrian will customise it for you for very reasonable or no cost". My problem is not knowing what I want. I've been looking at the Jake 5a white. Since I'm not keen on Delanos in general (although I don't know if in this particular case they wouldn't be the best fit), my first thought was to swap them for equivalent Haeussle pickups because apparently they sound "more retro" and that (I think) appeals to me. But I'm not sure if I played this bass blindfolded with Haeussles and Delanos which ones I'd actually choose. Also, perhaps single coils would be a better choice as opposed to humbuckers ? .... decisions decisions.

Another dilemma is whether I should leave the standard hardware or upgrade to ETS brigde (+50 Euro) and Hipshot machineheads (+140 Euro). I wonder if it would make the difference to the sound or playability at all.

I was also considering going for the "Europe" body i.e. with resonance hollows (~40% increase in total cost). This would reduce the weight from the current 4.3kg by maybe 0.5 kg and probably improve the resonance but is that what I really need on this type of bass?

How would you configure your Jake 5a ????

[quote name='shemeckfrac' timestamp='1434296614' post='2798399']
Such and Mcnach --
I appreciate sharing your honest thoughts and details that I would've otherwise never think of. The common line seems to be "if you want something Adrian will customise it for you for very reasonable or no cost". My problem is not knowing what I want. I've been looking at the Jake 5a white. Since I'm not keen on Delanos in general (although I don't know if in this particular case they wouldn't be the best fit), my first thought was to swap them for equivalent Haeussle pickups because apparently they sound "more retro" and that (I think) appeals to me. But I'm not sure if I played this bass blindfolded with Haeussles and Delanos which ones I'd actually choose. Also, perhaps single coils would be a better choice as opposed to humbuckers ? .... decisions decisions.

Another dilemma is whether I should leave the standard hardware or upgrade to ETS brigde (+50 Euro) and Hipshot machineheads (+140 Euro). I wonder if it would make the difference to the sound or playability at all.

I was also considering going for the "Europe" body i.e. with resonance hollows (~40% increase in total cost). This would reduce the weight from the current 4.3kg by maybe 0.5 kg and probably improve the resonance but is that what I really need on this type of bass?

How would you configure your Jake 5a ????
[/quote]

In case I didn't make my position clear before, because words are cheap... I have an announcement to make:

I just started the process with Adrian to have another bass made for me. It's another Jake, but not like you know them. A while ago I was experimenting and decided I'd really like a bass with certain characteristics, but nobody seems to make one like it. I spoke to a luthier I know about it but we didn't get far. He builds acoustic instruments, and he's very good at it, I'm sure he'd build a wonderful electric bass... but the whole thing fizzled out. Now, after my experience with the Jake P/JJ, I am certain that Adrian is the man.

First few emails exchanged, pictures and diagrams attached... he's made a few cool suggestions expanding my options, I have a good idea of the final cost too... It's time to sit down and nail all those specifications right. :)

I have a couple of basses that I'm unlikely to require any more that will be for sale very very soon!

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='shemeckfrac' timestamp='1434207292' post='2797634']
Now this got me wondering; despite all the praises about workmanship, sound and value Spyder ended up selling his Jake 5, Elmwood 4 pair and Meypelnek his custom PJ5 shortly after receiving it. Is it possible that there is no long lasting love to these basses but only the GAS lust ?

It's really these people's business but from the potential buyer point of view I'm dying to know why :)
[/quote]

I had to sell very reluctantly due to lack of cash for my car 🚗 Mot.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1434714709' post='2802089']
In case I didn't make my position clear before, because words are cheap... I have an announcement to make:

I just started the process with Adrian to have another bass made for me. It's another Jake, but not like you know them. A while ago I was experimenting and decided I'd really like a bass with certain characteristics, but nobody seems to make one like it. I spoke to a luthier I know about it but we didn't get far. He builds acoustic instruments, and he's very good at it, I'm sure he'd build a wonderful electric bass... but the whole thing fizzled out. Now, after my experience with the Jake P/JJ, I am certain that Adrian is the man.

First few emails exchanged, pictures and diagrams attached... he's made a few cool suggestions expanding my options, I have a good idea of the final cost too... It's time to sit down and nail all those specifications right. :)

I have a couple of basses that I'm unlikely to require any more that will be for sale very very soon!
[/quote]

can you send me Adrian's email please I 'd like to talk about a killer fretless I have been brooding on for ages!

[quote name='zawinul' timestamp='1434741483' post='2802472']
can you send me Adrian's email please I 'd like to talk about a killer fretless I have been brooding on for ages!
[/quote]

the email is at the bottom of their website here:

[url="http://www.public-peace.de/index.php/maruszczyk-instruments"]http://www.public-peace.de/index.php/maruszczyk-instruments[/url]

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1434747575' post='2802575']
the email is at the bottom of their website here:

[url="http://www.public-peace.de/index.php/maruszczyk-instruments"]http://www.public-pe...zyk-instruments[/url]
[/quote]

Cheers, send mail, got reply the conversation is underway!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='ednaplate' timestamp='1437573827' post='2827183']
Thanks WoT, I will. I took my inspiration from your latest purchase. They seem such good value for money, compared to other custom builders, that the cynic in me wonders if there is a catch.
[/quote]

I'm afraid there *is* a catch, as I've just found out... :(

You will not be able to stop at just one bass :P

Yup, I've got a second one ordered already. This one is a little more special than the first, although I suspect most people here will say "really?? that???" when they see it... ;)