Why become a member? ×

The Official MARUSZCZYK CLUB!

Ulas Engin

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1480335935' post='3183405']
Final specs sorted, order form revised and submitted, go-ahead received, deposit paid... YAY! It's happening!!! :gas:
Now... to forget all about it until *that email* with the sofa picture arrives :)
[/quote]

Did you use "Transfer wise" to pay? Is it easy to use? I'm a couple hours behind you....😉

[quote name='andyonbass' timestamp='1480337663' post='3183429']
Did you use "Transfer wise" to pay? Is it easy to use? I'm a couple hours behind you....
[/quote]

Oh, what an idiot!!! :blush:

I did a direct transfer from my Natwest account as all the info was already in file and it was just a couple of clicks... BUT do use Transferwise! I used it a few months ago for something I bought from Hungary and it's dead simple and cheaper. How could I forget? I blame the excitement about the new bass :lol:

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1480337163' post='3183422']
This is the only coping mechanism that works, believe me...
[/quote]

Indeed! I didn't even ask Adrian for an estimate... I don't want to know if it's 10 or 15 weeks or 20!. :lol:
He's got all the important details, and made me smile with his attention to detail incorporating certain aspects in the order form that I had only mentioned on my first email (and there's been a few). I know my bass order is in good hands. When it's ready it's ready. This time I went for a chambered body, inspired by you ;)

Tic...

Tac...
;)

I am thinking of getting a precision bass and a jake is one of the options. It is a safe bet to go with Maruszczyk since I own one and already know the quality. Just simple passive with one p pickup. So, my questions to those who have experince with Jakes are that:

1- How do you describe the sound of maruszczyk's own p pickups?

2- Did you have any chance to compare them with other p pickups used by Adrian such as delano, haeussel, aguilar (my frog has bassculture humbuckers and they are great but I don't know if they have p pickup) etc. or any other p pickup you had experince with such as bartolinis, lindy fralins, fender vintage ones etc.?

3- How do you compare the playability and the sound of jakes to other p basses such as fender, lakland, sandberg etc.?

I know I can ask these questions to Adrian and I am sure I will get an honest opinion but I would like to know what are the opinions of those who have experince with jakes.

Cheers,

GC

Edited by GCYPbass

[quote name='GCYPbass' timestamp='1480546249' post='3185393']
I am thinking of getting a precision bass and a jake is one of the options. It is a safe bet to go with Maruszczyk since I own one and already know the quality. Just simple passive with one p pickup. So, my questions to those who have experince with Jakes are that:

1- How do you describe the sound of maruszczyk's own p pickups?

2- Did you have any chance to compare them with other p pickups used by Adrian such as delano, haeussel, aguilar (my frog has bassculture humbuckers and they are great but I don't know if they have p pickup) etc. or any other p pickup you had experince with such as bartolinis, lindy fralins, fender vintage ones etc.?

3- How do you compare the playability and the sound of jakes to other p basses such as fender, lakland, sandberg etc.?

I know I can ask these questions to Adrian and I am sure I will get an honest opinion but I would like to know what are the opinions of those who have experince with jakes.

Cheers,

GC
[/quote]

His own Pickup is made with Ferrite magnets and a lot of winding. Hence the more kind of aggressive sounding bass. Just for the story he made his 1st pickup in Poland when he was about 15 or 16.

His J Pickups is Ferrite too.

All the other brands you mentioned are (to my knowledge) Alnico ... which will be much smoother.

in my opinion playability is just as good if not nicer than some of the "big boys"... but that's just personnal.

Edited by pierreganseman

[quote name='pierreganseman' timestamp='1480568411' post='3185454']
His own Pickup is made with Ferrite magnets and a lot of winding. Hence the more kind of aggressive sounding bass. Just for the story he made his 1st pickup in Poland when he was about 15 or 16.

All the other brands you mentioned are (to my knowledge) Alnico ... which will be much smoother.

[/quote]

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1480574407' post='3185465']
Yep, the Maruszczyks in my LPB are hotter and more aggressive than the Haussels in my 3TSB. Both different flavours of loveliness.
[/quote]

Thanks for sharing your opinions guys and for a short history lesson :) What you guys said confirms what I know about maruszczyk PU's.

Wateroftyne, did you have any chance to compare Haeussels with other P PU's other than Maruszczyks?

Just for the info, I am after fat, round, smooth sound for motown, reggae etc. rather than aggressive, edgy sound. So Maruszczyk's stock PUs are not the best choice I guess.

[quote name='pierreganseman' timestamp='1480568411' post='3185454']

in my opinion playability is just as good if not nicer than some of the "big boys"... but that's just personnal.
[/quote]

I have no doubt about the quality but as you mentioned playability is just personal. How is the standard neck profile on Jakes?

I can't offer a direct P pickup comparison, but my Jake has the Delanos, and while with the tone rolled off it nails the P tone IMO, it's pretty aggressive. Dial the tone back in and it growls beautifully, so that's probably not what you're after. Output is massive, my Elwood has the Haussels through a glock preamp, and the output from my passive Jake is much more brutal, add in the Humbucker I have in the bridge and it's pure rawk (which is not what I do, but it's nice to have... gotta keep these folky/country types on their toes!).

I can't speak for the Haussel P type pickup, but I find the J types pretty authentic, warm and vintagey, what I'd expect from a jazz. If that extends across their range it might be an option. I'm sure Adrian could advise.

Playability wise, I had a Lakland 55-01 alongside my Elwood and found the Elwood much easier to get around on, Some of this would be down to losing an inch off the scale length, as I spend a the bulk of my time at the deep end, the profiles are very similar. I sold it when I ordered the Jake. I'd previously played a standard Jake, and got on with it fine so that's what I went with for mine. It's maybe slightly deeper than the Lakland, but feels more rounded somehow as you move up the neck where the Lakland flattens off more, dead easy to play and certainly not what I'd call big. Compared to the few Fender's I've played, there's much less wood, and the gentler radius and rounded heel makes all the difference to me. I'm no expert on Fenders mind, I've never lived with one, so my experience is limited to little jams on other people's instruments, but they feel a bit primitive to me, and I don't get that from the Jake.

Just as a caveat, I'm talking about 5 strings here. The only Jake 4 I've ever had a little play on was Sibob's Beautiful gold, chambered beastie, at last years Herts Bash. That was a lovely instrument to play too.

Edited by NickD

Just fired off an e-mail asking Adrian if he's exhibiting at the London Bass Show in March. Here's his reply:

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Hello, [/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I don't know, maybe. Write to the organization you will see me at the stage.
Greetings
Adrian[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Can anyone more familiar with the show tell me what he means?[/font]

Sounds like he's after a clinic spot, or a main stage set. I'd most certainly sit through him and a couple of his cohorts putting some tunes together, I love the way he plays. It's also as if he's dodging the intention of the question, which I assume to be whether they'll have a stand there or not. My guess is that with pitch costs and transport, etc, displaying his wares in a country with a failing currency might not be worth his while.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1480965842' post='3188516']
Can anyone let me know Adrian,s Email address.? I'm after a pickguard for my Elwood 5.
[/quote]
If you go onto the 'contact' section of the public-peace.de website, there's a link to 'info@' which goes direct to Adrian.

[quote name='NickD' timestamp='1480588560' post='3185610']
I can't offer a direct P pickup comparison, but my Jake has the Delanos, and while with the tone rolled off it nails the P tone IMO, it's pretty aggressive. Dial the tone back in and it growls beautifully, so that's probably not what you're after. Output is massive, my Elwood has the Haussels through a glock preamp, and the output from my passive Jake is much more brutal, add in the Humbucker I have in the bridge and it's pure rawk (which is not what I do, but it's nice to have... gotta keep these folky/country types on their toes!).

I can't speak for the Haussel P type pickup, but I find the J types pretty authentic, warm and vintagey, what I'd expect from a jazz. If that extends across their range it might be an option. I'm sure Adrian could advise.

Playability wise, I had a Lakland 55-01 alongside my Elwood and found the Elwood much easier to get around on, Some of this would be down to losing an inch off the scale length, as I spend a the bulk of my time at the deep end, the profiles are very similar. I sold it when I ordered the Jake. I'd previously played a standard Jake, and got on with it fine so that's what I went with for mine. It's maybe slightly deeper than the Lakland, but feels more rounded somehow as you move up the neck where the Lakland flattens off more, dead easy to play and certainly not what I'd call big. Compared to the few Fender's I've played, there's much less wood, and the gentler radius and rounded heel makes all the difference to me. I'm no expert on Fenders mind, I've never lived with one, so my experience is limited to little jams on other people's instruments, but they feel a bit primitive to me, and I don't get that from the Jake.

Just as a caveat, I'm talking about 5 strings here. The only Jake 4 I've ever had a little play on was Sibob's Beautiful gold, chambered beastie, at last years Herts Bash. That was a lovely instrument to play too.
[/quote]

Thanks for the input NickD. It is very informative and helpful.