Why become a member? ×

The Official MARUSZCZYK CLUB!

Ulas Engin

I had the Jake in the studio for the first time yesterday, DI with a Grace preamp and through a miked Fender BXR 1x15. The artist and producer wouldn't stop banging on about the sound, it was exactly how I hoped it would be.

[quote name='NickD' timestamp='1484650023' post='3217103']
I had the Jake in the studio for the first time yesterday, DI with a Grace preamp and through a miked Fender BXR 1x15. The artist and producer wouldn't stop banging on about the sound, it was exactly how I hoped it would be.
[/quote]
Result!!

[quote name='NickD' timestamp='1484728002' post='3217752']
Indeed!

To be fair though, it was a country project so expectations might not have been that high! :)
[/quote]
Steady on now! As William Shakespeare often said: "Country matters." (I think he had something else in mind though.)

• Like 1

I think I've finally settled on the colour/look of what I'm hoping will be my next build. Elwood L, Delano JSBC p/ups, passive, drop D tuner, 33" scale, 21 vintage-medium frets. I'll wait until NAMM is over and then drop Adrian a line. Here's a mock up I put together with a stock picture and a bit of editing...

[URL=http://s308.photobucket.com/user/ezbass/media/elw160287_zpsnvca1pui.jpg.html][IMG]http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk344/ezbass/elw160287_zpsnvca1pui.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1485003031' post='3220286']
I think I've finally settled on the colour/look of what I'm hoping will be my next build. Elwood L, Delano JSBC p/ups, passive, drop D tuner, 33" scale, 21 vintage-medium frets. I'll wait until NAMM is over and then drop Adrian a line. Here's a mock up I put together with a stock picture and a bit of editing...

[url="http://s308.photobucket.com/user/ezbass/media/elw160287_zpsnvca1pui.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

That's seriously sexy... if it had a maple fingerboard I'd have to steal it from you :P

I'm about to start week 9 of my wait... not long to go now, maybe another 4 weeks or so :) Although mine is not going to be as 'wow' as yours. Very nice!

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1485432735' post='3223908']
I got THE email with the picture!!!

[/quote]There are no two ways about it, the sofa shot is a very integral part of the Maruszczyk custom experience. Congrats.

[quote name='ZilchWoolham' timestamp='1485439723' post='3223980']
What a great finish. It looks almost sandblasted. Is it dyed and oiled, or what's going on here exactly?
[/quote]

I asked about it when I was designing my order. Initially I was going for a metallic sparkle finish :) But I decided I wanted to see some wood, and they do get some nice pieces of ash those guys... I asked if it was an oil finish, and he said no, it was polyurethane, satin finish. Looking forward to seeing it up close.

I actually wanted the colour a bit different. I described it and sent some pictures as examples, and he sent me a picture of one of their basses. The colour was nearly right, a dark purple/violet, but a bit too blue. I asked for it to be redder and sent an image of a plain coloured filled square.
When I saw the sofa shot I thought "That's not what I expected... although... I think I like it". I went back to my original email... and I noticed that if you looked at the colour example perpendicularly to the screen, it looks just like what I wanted... if you look from above however it looks very much like what I got. And then I noticed that the colour changes a fair bit between my work monitors and my laptop (we're not into graphic design exactly so these monitors are never calibrated for colour)...

So... if you want a particular colour, make sure it's understood. Maybe send a physical example? That's what I did when I had my 75RI Jazz refinished by David Wilson, and he nailed it. I doubt he'd have got that close if I had just emailed a picture.

I initially thought about asking Adrian about refinishing it, or maybe if they were able to sell that one and I get another in the 'right' colour... but the more I looked at it the more I liked it, and finally my gf expressed such enthusiasm for the colour, that it just has to stay. I should have it in my hands some time next week :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1485468804' post='3224266']
Yeah - colour is tricky, because it's so contextual.

I got lucky with my old LPB - it's exactly what I wanted. Strangely, I see it as blue, but Adrian insists it's green :-)
[/quote]

He must be like my dad, who sees all colours, but the RGB balance is not quite right. A few years ago I hired a Citroen Xsara in Madrid to go up north and visit family. It was some kind of greyish/brownish strange kind of colour. You could say it was grey and I would not argue. I was meeting my uncle on a little car park off the main road and he was expecting a GREEN Xsara. I parked right next to him and watched him for a few minutes as he was watching every car getting into the car park.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1486040463' post='3228681']
It's been delivered!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o

(at work... big box... and I'm too busy to even just open it to have a look... :( :()
[/quote]

Oh, harsh!

Still, anticipation can be fun... no... really!