Why become a member? ×

The Official MARUSZCZYK CLUB!

Ulas Engin

[quote name='ben4343' timestamp='1447947801' post='2911748']
I'm having to work very hard to not email Adrian to spec out a fairly straight forward active Jake, with a bridge humbucker in addition to the split coil (it's either this, or a Sandberg VM4, which I think would be quite a lot more expensive.).

I've wondered for quite a while now about the differences between PUP brands; as far as I can tell from the website I can choose Maruszczyk own-brand, Delano or Haeussel. My J-bass has Haeussels and they are very smooth, which is not what I want for this (though, that might be more of a function of their single coil-ness).

Anybody able to comment on any differences between the Maruszczyk own-brand and the Delanos? Who got what, and why? It's hard to AB them between different youtube videos (and potentially different rigs), but my current feeling is that the Delanos have slightly more wallop...?
[/quote]

Could always email him and ask?

[quote name='ben4343' timestamp='1448282500' post='2914082']
Oh, I almost certainly will at some point! Just thought it might be nice to nerd out over the vagaries of different pick ups is all. What else are we going to do on a slow Monday afternoon? ;)
[/quote]

This is Basschat after all ;)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1448362235' post='2914683']
Nice!

similar to mine:

What pickups are in yours?
[/quote]

It is, isn't it?

It's just got the passive Maruszczyks in it. I'm not sure how they compare to the Haussels in mine. Adrian says hotter and more vintage. Like these things always are, it's a bit of a gamble.

Aesthetically, I do prefer a single J coil at the bridge, but it's not a deal-breaker.

I'm switching between rounds and flats a lot at the mo, so I want one for each :-)

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1448370368' post='2914792']
You could always have the humbucker switch to single coil on a pull pot, that's what mine will do :)

Si
[/quote]

I think that's how Adrian wires them normally. Mine is like that and I did not specify anything on the wiring different from their stock configuration. In fact I had no idea until about 2 weeks after I had the bass when I pulled by chance and... hello! :lol:

So WoT's new Jake is probably already wired with the coil tap.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1448369247' post='2914768']
It is, isn't it?

It's just got the passive Maruszczyks in it. I'm not sure how they compare to the Haussels in mine. Adrian says hotter and more vintage. Like these things always are, it's a bit of a gamble.

Aesthetically, I do prefer a single J coil at the bridge, but it's not a deal-breaker.

I'm switching between rounds and flats a lot at the mo, so I want one for each :-)
[/quote]

Ah, it'd be interesting to see how they compare to the Haussels in your other Jake.

My P/JJ Jake has the Maruszczyk pickups. I was not a fan of the P. However I loved the JJ.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1448382219' post='2914943']
Yep - it's got the 'bucker / single coil pot.

Mind, I rarely use both pickups wide open, so I'm not sure how often I'll use the bridge in single-coil mode.

Mcnach - what didn't you like about the P pickup? What did you replace it with?
[/quote]

Hard to describe. It wasn't bad, just not "Precisiony" enough for my taste or for what I want a Precision to sound like. It felt a bit too big and dark and "unrefined"... I know, I know, this would mean different things to different people but that's the best I can do. I ended up with a Seymour Duncan SPB-1. I had a couple other pickups to try but that sounded good so I kept it. I like it much better than the original.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1448382782' post='2914946']
Hard to describe. It wasn't bad, just not "Precisiony" enough for my taste or for what I want a Precision to sound like. It felt a bit too big and dark and "unrefined"... I know, I know, this would mean different things to different people but that's the best I can do. I ended up with a Seymour Duncan SPB-1. I had a couple other pickups to try but that sounded good so I kept it. I like it much better than the original.
[/quote]
Interesting description of the pick up, what would you say was missing, articulation and clarity?

I think I asked Adrian to wire my JJ as humbucking with the pot in the down position, then single coil in the up position, don't know if this is also the standard way?
I believe the bass finished and being setup this week, and so will hopefully get a photo soon and be ready to send out by the end of the week (fingers crossed)

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1448383410' post='2914956']
I think I asked Adrian to wire my JJ as humbucking with the pot in the down position, then single coil in the up position, don't know if this is also the standard way?
I believe the bass finished and being setup this week, and so will hopefully get a photo soon and be ready to send out by the end of the week (fingers crossed)

Si
[/quote]

That's how the switch in mine works, yes.

oooh, exciting times!!! :)

Beautiful!!
Our spec's seem to have been very close WoT!
Mine arrived last Wednesday and has blown me away - playability, tone, craftsmanship, the whole nine yards.
So much so that I have not put it down to take any detailed photos (but I will!!)

Here's the one that Adrian sent over just before the bass shipped.

[attachment=205832:My-Jake.jpg]

[quote name='mal2404' timestamp='1448443007' post='2915379']
Beautiful!!
Our spec's seem to have been very close WoT!
Mine arrived last Wednesday and has blown me away - playability, tone, craftsmanship, the whole nine yards.
So much so that I have not put it down to take any detailed photos (but I will!!)

Here's the one that Adrian sent over just before the bass shipped.

[attachment=205832:My-Jake.jpg]
[/quote]

Oof.. that's pretty! What pickups and electronics are in there?